"bad" Beer Ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing as I was the last one to make a post about cock ale, it'll come as no surprise that I'm thinking about doing a christmassy stout for next year using some of the fruit mix from the christmas puddings. I've got some left over from 2 years ago soaked in Inner Circle OP Rum that I was going to use in some mince tarts, but using it in beer seems more interesting somehow. No flour, eggs or butter involved though.

so a few likely tarts in you ale then? sounds better than cock but may be a up to an individuate brewers preference

Quote Bibe

"OOh, I brought 200 plastic buckets but I evidently realised that all I needed wash one and a small piece of slotted copper tubing and a pot, I hate Ross for sending me down this path, what a waste of time and effort"

Sure you can take this thread seriously.
Dogfish Head made their Egyptian ale with the help of a whole stack of loaves of bread. Anyone can go to coles, buy a loaf or 3 of bread and throw it in the mash. But there are all sorts of variations of ingredients in different loaves.
I can make bread at home in my breadmaker, but I usually have some olive oil in there. Is olive oil bad for the beer or not?

I recall reading somewhere that this was the first recorded 'beer'. Soaking bread to get the sugars out and fermenting it. The same article also said man stopped being hunter/gatherers not to farm for food but to farm to be able to make bread to make beer! :lol:

I recall reading somewhere that this was the first recorded 'beer'. Soaking bread to get the sugars out and fermenting it. The same article also said man stopped being hunter/gatherers not to farm for food but to farm to be able to make bread to make beer! :lol:

Does that mean we can just guy bread and ferment it for beer? What about the hops? After all they are the most "exclusive" and expensive ingregients in beer?

Perhaps "raisins and rum" can suffice?

tnd

Seeing as I was the last one to make a post about cock ale, it'll come as no surprise that I'm thinking about doing a christmassy stout for next year using some of the fruit mix from the christmas puddings. I've got some left over from 2 years ago soaked in Inner Circle OP Rum that I was going to use in some mince tarts, but using it in beer seems more interesting somehow. No flour, eggs or butter involved though.

I made a UK strong ale 8% cara aroma among other things. Plenty of christmas cake goodness.

Two years back I did an experiment - made a christmas porter. I soaked dried fruit in a 50/50 mix of fresh orange juice and brandy for a week before tossing the fruit into the boil. The boil also had a bit of cinnamon and a couple of cloves in it.

A few days before bottling I boiled the juice/brandy and tossed it into the fermenter.

The result was interesting - a really good malt tasting beer, albeit with no head but with an aftertaste of xmas pudding! It needed a couple of months minimum to condition though...

beechworth brewery did a breakfast beer and added rasin bread tea teabags and a whole lot other stuff to the mash.

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel takes the biscuit for weird ingredients, for my money. Won't even try the stuff.

Get Heston Bulmenthal on the job. The weid cheif/owner of the Fat Duck restaraunt in the UK

If he can come up with a Christmas dinner that includes Fankincense and Myrrh then I'm sure it would be just a doddel in the park for him to come up with a Christmas flavoured beer

Cheers

Wobbly

Meh... I put a kilo of red skins lollies in a 5kg mash brew, and it got dranked in 4 hours once fermented and kegged.
The oils and weird things all seem to disipate in the boil or stay on the surface, to you just leave them behind when you run off.
Egg in the mash would not really be any more of a problem than the other eggs that are already in there, laid by creepy crawlies.
Thats why you mash and boil.

I say give it a go

There is a really nice recipe in Gordon Strong's book if you have it, He uses spruce tips (fresh) for an hr in the boil. I want to make it but fucked if I can find me some fresh spruce! Need at least 2 quarts (just loose in a jar) for a double batch.

I added 13 freshly plucked pubic hairs to the boil last weekend, for a beer I intend to serve at xmas.

No, Im not kidding.

It honestly wont make ANY discernible difference to the flavour, but as symbolic motivation it makes me happy.

I am thinking he maybe onto something here ... next up a Kebab in the mash ... along with a Meatlovers Pizza .. so you dont get the munchies after a session :)

Avoid the Ranga kid or a wombat .. me thinks it would lead to too many questions about the aroma ...

For next years comp season I'm adding three tabs of LSD to each of my bottle entries.

I added 13 freshly plucked pubic hairs to the boil last weekend, for a beer I intend to serve at xmas.

No, Im not kidding.

It honestly wont make ANY discernible difference to the flavour, but as symbolic motivation it makes me happy.

this ones a special for the inlaws?

this ones a special for the inlaws?

no, for them I 'pound' the turkey for a few minutes before cooking. These private little gestures give me great pleasure, and are of no harm to anyone. (I dont ejaculate into the bird)

Back