Babbs Prize, Trip To The Land Of The Long White Hangover

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks bloody nice. Can't believe you're sober enough to post :lol:

Jamieson's Beast in Wellington, wish I could get it in Qld!

Also try The Black Harp, 136 Featherstone St Wellington. Depending on whether you like some Irish goodness. Food there was pretty good last time I went.

Great trip reports Bribie. Much better than those slack bastards who went to NY last year. :p

Good stuff Bribie, looks like your making the most of it. Keep them pics coming.

Cheers

Looks great. I had a lot of fun in Wellington in July. Make sure you get yourself to Hashigo Zake. I actually think it's a bit better than The Malthouse. There are plenty of great beers you've tried there but make sure you try some of the smaller micros that don't export. There are some real gems out there (Hallertau Porter Noir and Humulus Lupulus Maximus, Liberty Summit, Mussel Inn Lambagreeenie, Yeastie Boys Yakima Monster, Twisted Hop Goldings).

Back home after the whirlwind trip. Great Air NZ flight out, typical no frills Virgin on way home. A lot of guys on the forum jet around overseas all the time, but in my case it was great to get to a foreign country and just soak up the local 'colour' as well as the beers. Edit: got to Hashigo Zake, still pissed I think. The ales on handpump are divine.

Farewell to Welly, many fond memories, and definitely getting back there in a summer to do the big tour.

Great Hotel
duxtonMedium.jpg

They really have got it together with pubic transport. Why not in Brisbane or Sydney? No need to rip up the streets to lay tram tracks, just string up light cabling and buy or MAKE (shock horror) some trolley buses and away you go.

trolleybusesMedium.jpg

Spot the black clothes. go to the black clothes shop and buy anything you like, in black (did I mention black?)

black1Medium.jpg

black2Medium.jpg

Wellington doesn't feel a bit like an Aussie City, I'd go Vancouver or San Francisco for a similar "feel"

cablecarMedium.jpg

harbourviewMedium.jpg

Attractive modern Architecture in the CBD
architectureMedium.jpg

You know how we have bus shelters, they also have traffic light shelters to wait for the lights to change so you can walk across

trafficlightshelterMedium.jpg

Also those "SQUEEK ... dooba dooba dooba dooba........" crossings, in Australia the big silver button isn't connected to anything, it's just
a fake to con you into thinking you matter to them :rolleyes: . In NZ they actually do something.

Traffic jam in the CBD. Shot taken around 3 pm at the top of Wakefield St near Lambton Quay.

trafficjamMedium.jpg

However at the end of the day the trip was about the beer. Although some of the eye candy was better than others B)

townsend.jpg

macsfontsMedium.jpg

Cheers n beers

And, last post, just to rot yas

Menu from the Beer Versus Wine Dinner, four hours of piggin and drinking, the menu is not a la carte, everything you see there was a set menu and just came out relentlessly :icon_drool2:

dinnermenu.jpg

:icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Bribie, you have been blessed - especially at this time of year. I was born in Wellington - no, Lower Hutt actually, and know very well how angry the weather can be. Look no further than the '70s Wahine disaster. But soak it up mate.

Cheers, Wes

Never a sheep when you are desperate for one. Had to make do with buying the T shirt <_<

sheepshirt.jpg
Top stewarding shirt mate, see you at QABC :icon_cheers: .

Bribie, you have been blessed - especially at this time of year. I was born in Wellington - no, Lower Hutt actually, and know very well how angry the weather can be. Look no further than the '70s Wahine disaster. But soak it up mate.

Cheers, Wes

That was a shocker. I lived in Island Bay at the time, and we ended up with half of our neighbours roof on top of ours. The actual day of the disaster was 10 April 1968. I'll never forget it, as I was working for the Union Steam Ship Co at the time, the owners of the ship. I still have an original ash tray from the Wahine. It was horrible seeing grown men walking through the office and crying.

Bribie, great thread, and great to see you've had a terrific time.

Back