Babbs March 2010 Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Scientist

Reaction score
Hi all,

The next BABBs meeting is soon upon us.

March 25th Mini Comp No. 2:- American Ale.
At time of entry, beer must be nominated into BABB's beer classes 4a (American Pale Ale), 4b (American Amber Ale) or 4c (American Brown Ale).

So I keen to see some good impressions of the above styles. How are people going in preparing for this event, my APA is dry hopping at the moment.

I know American Ales are a big fav amongst most brewers so this meet should be a good one.

On another note, this will be my last apperance till Aug this year so I hope to catch up with as many of you as possible.

Cheers,

Liam

I have an American Brown Ale dryhopping ATM too, never dry hopped a brown ale, so it will be interesting, kegging it on friday.

cheers

Browndog

I have an American Brown Ale dryhopping ATM too, never dry hopped a brown ale, so it will be interesting, kegging it on friday.

cheers

Browndog

Awesome, I didn't know you brewed American Ales Browndog :lol:

I have two ambers, kegged them last night and I'm buying Tidal Pete's CPBF off him today. :icon_drunk: so by next Thursday they should be good for bottling off the kegs. Used a shedload of crystal, caraaroma and some choc chit and did the following hop schedules:

30g Chinook 90 mins
30g Cascade 10 mins
30g Centennial hop tea after 4 days
30g Centennial hop tea into the cold crash cube (crashed for 7 days)

30g Columbus 90 mins
30g Amarillo 10 mins
30g Amarillo hop tea after 4 days
30g Amarillo hop tea into the cold crash cube

I think I'll enter #1 - the second one tastes fine out of secondary but I can see now why some people love Amarillo and some people loathe it - I'm still dubious myself, see what it's like when it's fully drinkable.

Now I don't know if this is the place to raise this but: when the results are announced at the end of the night would it be possible to announce in the format:

Fifth Place with an American Pale Ale and 38 points.... Fred Smith
Fourth Place with an American Brown Ale and 39 points.... Joe Bloggs etc.

I seem to recall that often the results are announced with no indication of exactly what style although I'm ready to be corrected on that ???

Edit: couldn't spell TP's name. :rolleyes:

Hi all,

The next BABBs meeting is soon upon us.

March 25th Mini Comp No. 2:- American Ale.
At time of entry, beer must be nominated into BABB's beer classes 4a (American Pale Ale), 4b (American Amber Ale) or 4c (American Brown Ale).

So I keen to see some good impressions of the above styles. How are people going in preparing for this event, my APA is dry hopping at the moment.

I know American Ales are a big fav amongst most brewers so this meet should be a good one.

On another note, this will be my last apperance till Aug this year so I hope to catch up with as many of you as possible.

Cheers,

Liam

I'm a total comp newbie. How many beers is each member allowed to enter?

Have an APA in the fermenter (recipe from Brewing Classic Styles with a couple of twists), which I hope to keg when I get home from Italy on the weekend. Unfortunately the missus has been totally ineffective as a remote control of the temp controller - was hoping to crash it after 2 weeks on the yeast. Wasn't going to dry hop it, which will probably work against me now by the looks.

Also have an American Brown that I brewed some time ago. Was hoping to enter both.

Have an APA in the fermenter (recipe from Brewing Classic Styles with a couple of twists), which I hope to keg when I get home from Italy on the weekend. Unfortunately the missus has been totally ineffective as a remote control of the temp controller - was hoping to crash it after 2 weeks on the yeast. Wasn't going to dry hop it, which will probably work against me now by the looks.

Also have an American Brown that I brewed some time ago. Was hoping to enter both.

Hefe
You can enter one beer for scoring in the comp and a second beer for comments only. No need to label them, when you get there go into the kitchen, where you fill out a small form which has a hole in the middle with your name and the style description of the beer and hang it round the neck of the bottle, and just leave the bottle on the bench with the others.

You can enter 2 beers, but only one gets points which go towards the nights prizes & "Champion Brewer". It's up to you to nominate which one (before judging) is the scoring beer. The 2nd one will get feedback only.

Cheers Ross

Need to speed up my replys :rolleyes:

Sorry Geoff but people returning from Italy the weekend before a comp aren't allowed to enter. Its an age old rule and often doesn't effect the entries but sometimes it does......always next comp. :ph34r: Ok I'm off to invent some new rules to bring down the number of competitors..............has anyone read the rule about peple from bribie island and those that own or work in brew supply shops aren't allowed to enter either.........bit harsh but it is in the rules.............oh yeah also people from ipswich caleed Tony are also not allowed to enter american style comps. :D

Hefe
... when you get there go into the kitchen, where you fill out a small form which has a hole in the middle with your name and the style description of the beer and hang it round the neck of the bottle, and just leave the bottle on the bench with the others.
Small change this month - the lables will be on that trolley outside the kitchen and beers will be self-registered and left there. The Stewards will move them into the kitchen when they're ready to register them in the computer and assign them to groups for each table.

Small change this month - the lables will be on that trolley outside the kitchen and beers will be self-registered and left there. The Stewards will move them into the kitchen when they're ready to register them in the computer and assign them to groups for each table.

First I've heard about the computer, wow - I take it that's how the 'most consistent brewer' is calculated at the end of the year? :icon_cheers:

Sorry Geoff but people returning from Italy the weekend before a comp aren't allowed to enter. Its an age old rule and often doesn't effect the entries but sometimes it does......always next comp. :ph34r: Ok I'm off to invent some new rules to bring down the number of competitors..............has anyone read the rule about peple from bribie island and those that own or work in brew supply shops aren't allowed to enter either.........bit harsh but it is in the rules.............oh yeah also people from ipswich caleed Tony are also not allowed to enter american style comps. :D

Bugger!! And it was my turn to drive this month, too....:p

First I've heard about the computer, wow - I take it that's how the 'most consistent brewer' is calculated at the end of the year? :icon_cheers:
we have the computer there most mini comps and even have our own program specifically written for our comps (well, for the QABC too I guess). And yes, it does the calcs for the consistent brewer award.

Bugger!! And it was my turn to drive this month, too.... :p

Thats OK mate your still allowed to attend :D .........We still need raffle ticket buyers :lol:

So what time you picking me up :ph34r:

Just kegged my APA and had a taste along the way.

Fantastic citrus grapefruit aroma which is totally breath taking. Tastes good too :chug:

Just kegged my APA and had a taste along the way.

Fantastic citrus grapefruit aroma which is totally breath taking. Tastes good too :chug:

So this is where the psyching out and the trash talking starts? :D

That is cruel Brad, a place in a BABBs minicomp is a dizzy height I've yet to scale ;)

That is cruel Brad, a place in a BABBs minicomp is a dizzy height I've yet to scale ;)
I scaled it on my first attempt but in those days my beer obviously had the hallmarks of an English Bitter :icon_cheers:
I must have lost the plot since then :lol:

Just chucked a bunch of hops into my American Brown...not long now.

I can't wait to taste all these American Hopped beauties....

FYI I'm not driving to this meeting :party:

PB

Just chucked a bunch of hops into my American Brown...not long now.

I can't wait to taste all these American Hopped beauties....

FYI I'm not driving to this meeting :party:

PB

Ya lucky b(^*)(*&^ of all the nights it's my turn to drive !

-BD

Back