Awww Man! :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozpowell

Reaction score
My first ever HB "Awwww Man" story:

Went to bottle my Pumpkin Ale a couple of days back after 3 weeks in the fermenter. I went to lift the carboy out of my brewfridge and noticed that the top half of my 2 piece airlock was not inserted into the bottom half properly. I do this when I take a sample for pH and gravity readings to prevent any liquid in the airlock from going back into the fermenter - Awww man - must have left it off the last time I took a sample - 10 DAYS EARLIER!!!!!

Not to worry I say to myself - it's probably still ok (tasted fine 10 days ago).....

Wrong! Smells and tastes terrible.... :icon_vomit: Nothing worse than the feeling of pouring a $50 brew down the sink (not to mention the wasted brewday).

Oh well - onwards and upwards to the next batch - a Witbier.

Won't be makein' that mistake again.

Cheers,
Michael. :)

Thats Unlucky Mike

i always use an airlock, but you hear so many guys say that they don't bother with one. :(

Thats Unlucky Mike

i always use an airlock, but you hear so many guys say that they don't bother with one. :(

Yeah - my understanding is that you can get away with open fermentation while the wort is actively fermenting (due to the fact that the CO2 being produced will prevent any airborne bacteria from entering the fermenter). However, once fermentation has ceased, I think you need to keep the beer airtight.

Cheers,
Michael :)

I would suspect your process before necessarily blaming the airlock.

Can you describe the smell and taste, and we might be able to pinpoint something for you...

Andy

Oz,

Pumpkin ale sounds terrible anyhow. Maybe that is how is supposed to taste :eek:

cheers

Darren

I agree with AndyD.
10 days sounds wayyyy to early for a serious infection producing foul smells, if fermentation went well. Remember after fermentation your pH is low and there is alcohol to inhibit most infections. Besides the beer would still be degassing and there would be constant, though slow flow of CO2 through the airlock hole.
Did you use a new yeast you're not familiar with?
How did fermentation proceed?
How did you add the pumpkin?

The main things that could cause problems after fermentation would be: Lactobacilli, Pediococcus, a few other bacteria (Acetobacter) and wild yeasts. Wild yeasts will give you funky smells but after the primary yeast has polished off most of the fermentables this is not a problem in the short term. I think most bacteria have the same issue. You can recognise a few by taste: Acetobacter = vinegary; Lactobacillus = Lactic acid sourness.

I have had beer in a primary with a poor seal (airlock did not move during fermentation) for 2 weeks with no major issues.

MFS

Don't pour it.
Save it for Halloween on the 31st then if it is really a bad bug feed it to someone you don't like as a trick or a treat.

Jack-o

I get the feeling he already has. :(
Nope - haven't dumped it - still have it. I'll try it again in a few weeks and let you all know.

The smell and taste weren't necessarily rancid - mainly hot alcohol (though it is a bigish beer @ 6.8%) and more bitter than I recall in my earlier tastings. Perhaps it just needs some time for the Pumpkin, spices, hops etc to come together. FYI, used US56 - used it many times in the past.

Cheers,
Michael. :)

Give it some time...

Out of interest, next time you brew, take a sample of your unfermented wort and reserve it in a sanitised container. If it hasn't shown any signs of visible infection after a few days you can be reasonably sure your brewing process is clean at least. Then you can start looking at the fermentor for wild yeast and bacterial sources (particularly lid seals and fermentor spigots).

The bitterness will mellow over time. Forget about it for a month and let us know what it's like then...

Andy

Give it some time...

Out of interest, next time you brew, take a sample of your unfermented wort and reserve it in a sanitised container. If it hasn't shown any signs of visible infection after a few days you can be reasonably sure your brewing process is clean at least. Then you can start looking at the fermentor for wild yeast and bacterial sources (particularly lid seals and fermentor spigots).

The bitterness will mellow over time. Forget about it for a month and let us know what it's like then...

Andy

Just gave it a taste after giving it some time to fully carbonate (and at the right temperature) and it seems I did jump the gun somewhat. Just not used to brewing such high gravity beers with so much hops (50 IBU). I'll leave it now until the end of the month.

FYI Darren, pumpkin beer may sound pretty ordinary, but it is actually pretty good. A number of US micros bring out a pumpkin seasonal each year and they're very popular. This recipe I pulled from Charlie Papazian's Homebrewer's Companion. Once the hops settle down some, I expect a lot of the spices, vanilla and pumpkin flavours will come through.

Cheers for the feedback guys!

Michael :)

Sure glad I didn't toss the batch. Drank two glasses last night and I have to say it tastes spectacular! The hops have integrated really well into this high alcohol beer. The initial aroma of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and allspice is really interesting. Anyone wanting to try something different, I'd recommend giving this one a go - just leave it to condition for about 8 weeks.... :)

I'll post some pics to the WITG thread ASAP.

Cheers,
Michael.

ozpowell, Would you be so kind to post your recipe? I've been reading a bit about pumpkin beer and wouldn't mind knowing the brewing process. Will have to track down a bottle of a commercial pumpkin before I make some of my own, not sure if it'll be for me.

-Joseph :)

+1 As I posted elsewhere I was planning a Christmas Pudding Ale at high gravity with spices and mixed fruit but the pumpkin ale might hit the spot instead. Jojai, if you go back to the original post the linky takes you to the recipe, it's still there. I would be using mostly LDME with a mini mash to boost the grain flavour.

+1 As I posted elsewhere I was planning a Christmas Pudding Ale at high gravity with spices and mixed fruit but the pumpkin ale might hit the spot instead. Jojai, if you go back to the original post the linky takes you to the recipe, it's still there. I would be using mostly LDME with a mini mash to boost the grain flavour.

What a coincidence - I've had the last 3 bottles sitting in my wine cabinet for the past 10 months. Pulled one of them out yesterday to give it a go. It tastes amazing! The spices and pumpkin flavour have really come through amongst lots of hops and malt. Problem is, now I only have 2 grolschies left....

I made this extract christmas beer a few years ago.
I went pale to fit more in with a summer christmas, but all the christmas pudding spice flavour was there. The amounts as listed in that recipe took nearly 5 months to blend properly though, I'd probably dial it back next time.

Ozpowell, nice to see another left of centre brewer up this way! Fruit beers, pumpkin, awesome!
My folks have pumpkins growing everywhere so one of these has been on my list for a while. There are heaps of recipes around in the US as you said but it's nice to have one someone has tried to play with...

There are heaps of recipes around in the US as you said but it's nice to have one someone has tried to play with...

Yeah - stole the bulk of the recipe from Charlie Papazian's Home Brewer's Companion. As you can see from the top of this thread, the blend of spices was really out there just after fermentation (especially in combination with the relatively high ABV and IBU levels) . I thought I had an infected brew on my hands. Soooo glad I didn't toss it.

I went pale to fit more in with a summer christmas, but all the christmas pudding spice flavour was there. The amounts as listed in that recipe took nearly 5 months to blend properly though, I'd probably dial it back next time.

That's amazing, I had also settled on T-58 yeast for my brew! I'm going dark and probably quite strong. Thanks for the advice on the spices, and the macadamia honey sounds the go. Was going to use mixed dried fruit but I note that it has oil in it to keep the fruit looking shiny, and would kill any head so the fresh oranges will fit the bill there. Only four months to go, better get a wiggle on :p :p

</ end of blatant thread hijack>

Ozpowell, nice to see another left of centre brewer up this way! Fruit beers, pumpkin, awesome!
My folks have pumpkins growing everywhere so one of these has been on my list for a while. There are heaps of recipes around in the US as you said but it's nice to have one someone has tried to play with...

Please promise, no pumpkin and sour orange ale, other than that you two go for it ok. I can vouch for Bens Spiced Xmas Ale it was like xmas cake in a glass, fantastic!

Latest posts

Back