Awsome Score! Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3vour3r

Reaction score
hey guys,

Bit of a brag here, but i reckon i scored an epic bargain.

bought a near new keg fridge for 80 bucks. included was a CO2 bottle as well. Check pics.

only thing is it has a US power plug. Would it be as simple to just buy a US-AUS adapter? or is there more to it then that...

I will have to buy QD as it has those shitty screw on ones for commercial keg adapters. it came with 2 commercial keg adapters too.

keg_fridge_3.JPG

keg_fridge_4__Small_.JPG

Yankees dont have 240 Volts..
Have you checked the Voltage..?
You may need an Adaptor..?
Cheers
PJ

That's a bargain if it is good work order.

Should be a sticker on it somewhere with electrical ratings. If in doubt get a sparky to take a look.... you could get him to change the plug while he's at it.

don't the seppos use 110v 60hz AC, and we use 240v 50hz?

check the plate on the compressor / motor thing

thanks guys. at work atm so when i get home ill have a look. have a sparky mate too so hopefully itll still work out to be cheap if it needs modification.

The guy who i got it off had used it for one brew so it does work in aus i just dont know whether he had an adapter or transformer.

Yankees dont have 240 Volts..
Have you checked the Voltage..?
You may need an Adaptor..?

Just a small clarification PJ .....

While 110v is the normal domestic voltage, 220v is used for high current devices such as dryers, water heaters etc. But as these are normally wired in all the normal appliances would be 110v.

You can use them here in Australia, but you need a Transformer (to adjust the voltage) - an 'adapter' just changes the pins to suit out power points.

Most electronic equipment (such as laptops, razors, mobil ephones) can handle the dual voltages directly, I would doubt that something like this would be able to cope as it uses the line voltage directly - rathe rthan through a power supply (like the mobile phone).

But as others have said checking the nameplate will show what voltage it works on.

And the other trick is to make sure the transformer is big enough.

FWIW I have a couple of 500W (I think) transformers that I was given by some yanks when they moved back home (company business). They used to use one on their giant yank fridge :)

good find. the gas bottle is worth the price.
do not use a power adapter. US power is 120 volt not 240.
It will sefl destruct in a second.
You will need a step down transformer. Check how many amps it is rated for and
get a transformer that is large enough for it.

Cheers,
Bud

hey guys, got some piccys of important bits...

Couple questions. so from the info panel it is [email protected] which is 230W so would this 300W step down transformer work?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240v-110v-Step-...#ht_3210wt_1139

with the gas and beer connects, are they shit? should i replace with QD's?

that power plug is US i take it?

Is the regulator any good or should i fork out for a dual gauge one?

thanks for ur help every1

beer_line_con.jpg

compressor.jpg

gas_con.jpg

info_panal.jpg

power_plug.jpg

reg.jpg

that might be a flow control reg like for a fish tank ?

also sent you a PM X 2

that might be a flow control reg like for a fish tank ?

also sent you a PM X 2

Think you are right Maheel,
Devouer, are the markings on the gauge in pressure (psi kpa bar) or volume (liters or cubic feet per minute)?
Pressure is what you want volume is not.

Drew

Could be stuffed there!

The CO2 cylinder "looks" like it is spun aluminium, they won't fill those here in Aus due to the design standards. The CO2 regulator, if it is one for a USA CO2 cylinder, has a different threaded nut on it compared to the ones here in Aus, so it won't fit an Aus Co2 cylinder, I have two USA regulators sitting around for this reason, cannot be buggered finding new nuts or ganging them with my current regulator for multiple pressures.

The step down transformer will help convert the voltage, but wont change the frequency of the power supply, this can damage the motor in electrical stuff and make it run incorrectly or inefficiently. I know through experience after living in the USA for 10 years and bringing a container load of stuff back with me when I moved back.

Some stuff worked great, other stuff worked ok, some stuff worked for six months then the magic smoke got out and it stopped working.

For your sake, I hope I am wrong.

Could be stuffed there!

The CO2 cylinder "looks" like it is spun aluminium, they won't fill those here in Aus due to the design standards. The CO2 regulator, if it is one for a USA CO2 cylinder, has a different threaded nut on it compared to the ones here in Aus, so it won't fit an Aus Co2 cylinder, I have two USA regulators sitting around for this reason, cannot be buggered finding new nuts or ganging them with my current regulator for multiple pressures.

The step down transformer will help convert the voltage, but wont change the frequency of the power supply, this can damage the motor in electrical stuff and make it run incorrectly or inefficiently. I know through experience after living in the USA for 10 years and bringing a container load of stuff back with me when I moved back.

Some stuff worked great, other stuff worked ok, some stuff worked for six months then the magic smoke got out and it stopped working.

For your sake, I hope I am wrong.

the kegerator has been used before so the reg has been used with the gas... will dbl check markings. the freq is 60hz, will that work?

As other have said, and the name plate says USA is 110V (120) 60Hz.
Aussie is 240V 50Hz.

You need a 240V to 110V transformer.

You don't need one as big as this one recommended ($70):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/240v-110v-Step-...=item3f06b6ab98
but unless you find one much cheaper than that (say $20), having a bit of capacity up your sleeve is handy.

There is little you can do about the frequency, and frankly, in most cases it isn't an issue other than you may find the unit draws a bit more current than it would on 60Hz.
The voltage is what you need to do something about.
Besides, if you are scared of blowing it up, so don't use it you might as well sell it and let someone else take a risk!!

bugger it ill buy a 300W transformer and use it till it blows up haha. shell be right. when it goes ill jut get a cheap/free fridge off gumtree or something and put all my keg gear in it.

Hey guys, took a couple pics of the bottle.

The reg pressure is in kgf/cm2 and psi

the bottle has 2.5lb CO2 on it.

also tooks pics of other markings etc. Reckon Craftbrewer will fill it? if not will anyone fill it?

I did just buy a dual guage dual output reg (fairly decent one). will it fit or will the threads be different? if so is there an adapter out there?

2011_12_22_06.53.42__Medium_.jpg

2011_12_22_06.51.46__Medium_.jpg

2011_12_22_06.52.14__Medium_.jpg

2011_12_22_06.52.29__Medium_.jpg

2011_12_22_06.52.52__Medium_.jpg

2011_12_22_06.53.15__Medium_.jpg

2011_12_22_06.53.28__Medium_.jpg

Looks like a USA bottle to me with DOT stamping. Aussie ones have the triangular Australian Standards Association stamp from memory, have not looked at mine for ages.

Back