Automation, Electronics & Enclosures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kook

Reaction score
I've been looking at all the usual suspects (DSE, Altronics, Jaycar) for industrial electronics enclosures suitable for mounting gear such as temperature control and switches for my pump etc.

Does anyone know affordable places to find items such as industrial enclosures and 10A rotary auto/on/off switches ?

I know RS can order them in, but the costs on them seem huge.

Also, has anyone got any good tips or ideas for 240v/10a waterproof plugs and sockets? I'd originally considered using standard IEC (computer/kettle) plugs for everything, but would ideally like to look for something waterproof.

Try industrial electrical shops. There must be a few in Perth.

I've been looking at all the usual suspects (DSE, Altronics, Jaycar) for industrial electronics enclosures suitable for mounting gear such as temperature control and switches for my pump etc.

Does anyone know affordable places to find items such as industrial enclosures and 10A rotary auto/on/off switches ?

I know RS can order them in, but the costs on them seem huge.

Also, has anyone got any good tips or ideas for 240v/10a waterproof plugs and sockets? I'd originally considered using standard IEC (computer/kettle) plugs for everything, but would ideally like to look for something waterproof.

Kook try any of the electrical wholesalers like MM elect or Lawrence & Hanson, Middys, Atkins, EIW etc etc. Does the enclosure have to be metal if so big dollars but plastic is more affordable. The common name in the trade for a big plastic box that is sealed and you can drill all sorts of holes in is an "Adaptable enclosure" or a "lunchbox" and most will be rated somewhere around IP56 but once you start putting holes in them that will change.

Rotary switches are not cheap even in the trade, I would probably suggest ebay.

For the waterproof 240V/10A plugs do you mean like power point style but waterproof or something else? If powerpoint style then you can't go past this stuff or its HPM equivalents.
http://www.clipsal.com/trade/__data/page/81/I71.pdf

I guess affordable is a relative thing its probably cheap when compared to RS but not exactly bargain basement!! and also explains why a lot of commercial gear is that much more expensive. I used to work at an electricians but don't any longer so are not really sure on who does the best deals on everything at the moment.

g'day kook,
theres a place in melbourne that can post and they're usually really cheap. You can get a 250vac 10A 3 pos switch there for $43. link their part no. is 26970.

no affiliation etc.

cheers

vl.

Hi Kook

For waterproof plugs and sockets, Clipsal industrial gear is hard to beat. Springloaded covers to protect the scokets when not used and screw in plugs to form waterproof seals when in use. Check out EvilBay. This gear comes up all the time at good prices. Have a look at these plugs for an example.

Cheers
MAH

Kook try any of the electrical wholesalers like MM elect or Lawrence & Hanson, Middys, Atkins, EIW etc etc.
agreed, atkins no longer exists though, is now known as blackwoods.

if your looking online, you can also try Farnell but i expect they will be just as expensive as RS.

Kook..

Go and get friendly with a few sparkies...offer them beer :chug: ...then ask if they would have any second hand stuff that they have ripped out of previous jobs that is now laying around taking up space...Trust me, they will have all sorts of stuff laying around....

And remember...offer them beer :chug: ...even if they only drink VB....

I know...I drink beer and us electrical type guys allways keep second hand gear from previous jobs...we sell it for beer money....!!!!!

Back