Autolysis- can it be saved?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt you have autolosis, but if your getting awfull aromas from your fermenting 3068 I'd say this is pretty strongly pointing toward your yeast preparation being spoiled somewhow, and other unwelcome guests are at play.
You want to be make sure that it's not just some sulphery foulness that the yeast is temporarily throwing off...but if it is tasting equally bad.....my experience is that there really isn't much you can do which turns a horrible beer into something good.
Save it for emergencies when your taste buds aren't so demanding. I have a recent batch of this type of emergency beer myself......

Lincoln2 said:
Oi DB, my brother was born in Townsville. The last time I was there I got into a punch-up with some army dudes.
It happens...

Usually referred to as AJs (Army Jerks) up here. Not necessarily bad blokes but a town full of young guys trained to shoot and kill usually means there is a bit of steam blowing each weekend.

Most of the footy teams up here have a large contingent (AFL) so there was usually some "spirited" games which involved a bit of light banter, jabs and wild hooks. All good fun.

Mystery solved.

It was autolysis. Just went to make a starter for tonight's beer and guess what? The ******* stir plate had the heater turned on.

And that my friends, is how to get autolysis in 2 days.

Droopy Brew said:
Mystery solved.

It was autolysis. Just went to make a starter for tonight's beer and guess what? The ******* stir plate had the heater turned on.

And that my friends, is how to get autolysis in 2 days.
Ouch. What temp?

ITs an on or off situation mate but I reckon it would have been well over 40C

Bugger. At least you picked up on it and learned something along the way!

Latest posts

Back