Australias Best Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2011/04/reveal...lias-best-beer/

Well its been a long run to this point. We have seen Pale Ales, we have seen IPAs and we have seen double IPAs. We have seen beers light and dark. We have seen beers from breweries large and small, owned by massive public companies and by small private ones that define the purists vision of craft.

And the best beer in Australia in 2010, at least according to the critics? Stone & Wood Pacific Ale.

No2: LCPA
No3: Feral Hop Hog
No4: Murrays @IPA
No5: Knappstein Reserve Lager

I wouldnt have LCBA there as I think its gone down hill but othna than that cant compain with the top 5...

what would you have GB?

Thank heavens.

A deserving & tasty winner. Unlike this poll which was a tad more controversial because all the people at the brewery and their friends emailed in to push them to the top. :blink:

Hottest Aussie Craft Beers 2010

Don't get me wrong, the winner of this poll was a nice enough beer, but Stone & Wood kicks all over it. Nice to see a beer that's doing something different getting well earned praise.

Hopper.

Aussie's best beer?
Billy B's
Apple lambic?
Great stuff anyway and really good ciders - never gets mentoned by lazy hacks though.

Aussie's best beer?
Billy B's
Apple lambic?
Great stuff anyway and really good ciders - never gets mentoned by lazy hacks though.

I take exception to that Winkle ;) Sometimes it's laziness but some breweries make it very hard to do stories on them by being so uncooperative or unrespopnsive.

Thank heavens.

A deserving & tasty winner. Unlike this poll which was a tad more controversial because all the people at the brewery and their friends emailed in to push them to the top. :blink:

Don't get me wrong, the winner of this poll was a nice enough beer, but Stone & Wood kicks all over it. Nice to see a beer that's doing something different getting well earned praise.

Hopper.

I don't put it soley down to the whole 'they rigged it' bit, it is moreso the beer is availible in many many places, places where no other craft beer is availible and more people are drinking it, same as james squire golden and such, it places much higher then it should simply because it is everywhere and plenty of people drink it. Many people that drink those beers and voted for them have proberly never heard of most beers in the list let alone drunk them.
It is fair to say those drinkers would not have heard about the local taphouse or its poll and were pointed to it through the breweries emails and facebook posts though, they may argue that is nothing many other breweries did not do but i think it helped them more then it did some other breweries being they have a broader and bigger audience.
Anyway no need to start that arguement up again.

If Ace Of Spades is not in the list then it has no credibilty with me :icon_cheers:

Thank heavens.

Hopper.

Where can I find an official defintion of what constitutes a craft beer? Is it purely based on low volume output regardless of how big the brewery it comes from or how big the company that owns them? It seems to me that many on that list are probably not what I would call craft beer so maybe my knowledge is lacking.

I take exception to that Winkle ;) Sometimes it's laziness but some breweries make it very hard to do stories on them by being so uncooperative or unrespopnsive.

Sorry mate, the comment was meant to be generic not pointed, most people have never heard of Billy B's which is presumably why the cidery is up for sale. I guess a single person business can be unresponsive - doesn't do themselves any favours though.

Edit: at least S&W is a pretty good beer. Best??

Where can I find an official defintion of what constitutes a craft beer? Is it purely based on low volume output regardless of how big the brewery it comes from or how big the company that owns them? It seems to me that many on that list are probably not what I would call craft beer so maybe my knowledge is lacking.

It's really a statistical definition, but there's discussion of it here: http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2011/01/what-is-craft-beer/

Sorry mate, the comment was meant to be generic not pointed, most people have never heard of Billy B's which is presumably why the cidery is up for sale. I guess a single person business can be unresponsive - doesn't do themselves any favours though.

Edit: at least S&W is a pretty good beer. Best??

Just kidding. As to S&W 'best', is there really an absolute best all purpose, all occasion, any time beer? Not in my view, it's subjective and the list was based on that. Here is how the list was compiled: http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2011/03/how-the-critics-chose/

I was on the panel, but I think it was a robust way to determine the list and, yes, there are a lot of great beers out there but the way votes were counted, the consensus view was that Pacific Ale was the best...most of the critics consistently rated it higher than other beers. This book was about subjective enjoyment of beer, not objective qualities - we'll leave that to the awards (which themselves are always criticised!). For what it's worth, my personal #1 was Clout Stout from Nail Brewing and #2 was Murray's Anniversary Ale...neither made the top 12. But I have no qualms at all about Pacific Ale being #1, for exactly the reasons that i set out in the story. It is a very clever beer and deserves the top spot...in my humble opinion!

Australia's best beer = subjective. :icon_cheers:
GB

How true.

I guess it'd be natural for me to say Thorogoods or Murrays since that's the type of Farmhouse Ale product I enjoy and try to brew.
(Arse covering - Apologies to the above if they don't consider themselves farmhouse producers)

Australia's best beer = The beer I brewed myself

Latest posts

Back