Australian Por 'whole Hop Flowers' - Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've packed 12 bags of hops and will ship them tomorrow, the remainder I hope to do the next day.

I've not yet heard back from MitchDudarko, and haysie is good, and there is no-one else on the reserve list, but so it looks like there will be some hops unaccounted for.
If anyone else is interested in 500g or so, please send me a PM ASAP.

Found the hops on my doorstep this morning as I was leaving for work. Cheers Wolfy for all the work you put into this.

Can someone take a photo of their vac sealed bags?

I just vac sealed some home grown hop flowers and I only had about 60grams dry, but it still went into quite a big bag and then shrunk a fair bit, but still was about 10 times the size of what pellets would be. I can't imagine what 1kg of flowers would look like!

Here you go, Mark:

IMG00661_20100519_0907.jpg

IMG00662_20100519_0908.jpg

I was quite surprised how big the bag was, compared to 500g of pressed hop pallets. What you can't really see in the pics is that the bag is really thick, too.

Wolfy, thank you so much for getting this organised real quick and hassle free, I couldn't have imagined it running smoother than this. Please keep me updated in case you are planning any future bulk buys.

Florian

I just vac sealed some home grown hop flowers and I only had about 60grams dry, but it still went into quite a big bag and then shrunk a fair bit, but still was about 10 times the size of what pellets would be. I can't imagine what 1kg of flowers would look like!
LOL you are right, they sure are big and bulky and it's easy to understand why manufacturers and breweries find pellets and plugs much easier to deal with and store.
I was lucky that the hops arrived vacuum sealed and compressed to quite a degree, which made repacking them much easier than fresh picked/dry cones.
Packing the hops was a little more difficult than imagined it would be, I could just (and I mean just) squeeze 500g of the hops into a 500g post-pack (ask barls how tight his pack was), and 1kg of the hops fitted in a 3kg post-pack with only a small amount of room spare.

I was lucky that the hops arrived vacuum sealed and compressed to quite a degree, which made repacking them much easier than fresh picked/dry cones.
Oh man, your shed would have smelled like heaven. :icon_drool2:

Packing the hops was a little more difficult than imagined it would be, I could just (and I mean just) squeeze 500g of the hops into a 500g post-pack (ask barls how tight his pack was), and 1kg of the hops fitted in a 3kg post-pack with only a small amount of room spare.

My 500g came packed in a 3kg satchel, which was full. I expected most of it to be packing material when I first saw the satchel, but was surprised to find only one layer of bubble wrap and a little bit of newspaper.

I will probably repack and seal in smaller 50g batches, and then freeze them. That way I don't have to open and re-seal the big bag each time I want to use some. Can i actually freeze fresh hops like I would do with pellets or does this any harm?

Florian

Can i actually freeze fresh hops like I would do with pellets or does this any harm?
Since pellets/plugs are essentially just crushed/compressed fresh-hops, there is probably no reason you can't freeze them - if you freeze your other hops.
Personally - I feel that freezing may have a detrimental effect on the structure/quality of hops (which may be increased if the hops are in whole-flower form) - I keep them in the crisper section of my fridge instead.

Thanks Wolfy,

Hops just arrived at my front door.
great work :icon_cheers:

Mal

I will give you a call and see if I can drop in tomorrow to pick mine up.
Does anyone have some good extract recipes that use lots of POR? lol

cheers got mine. i want to know where you get the spray on express post bags. damn i had to cut the bag off it.

Recieved mine today,well run and done Wolfy.Cheers Ratchie.

Mine haven't arrived yet - will be sitting in a stinking hot Auspost depot over the weekend....

Anyhoo - not the fault of anyone here.

Mitch is still after 1kg if you got them spare as he's been away all weeks he's not been on a computer - I spoke with him last night tho and he said he'd PM'ed you - can you confirm if they are still available and I'll get him to chuck you the money and I'll supply the address (nothing dodgy going on here, move along....)

Mine haven't arrived yet - will be sitting in a stinking hot Auspost depot over the weekend....
They're safe in my fridge, I got them all packed but have not been able to send them (was waiting on the last few orders before I packed the last bag - and there has been a problem confirming them - so yours was the only one left over) sorry, I expect to have them sent to you on Monday.

Just finished repacking into 100g bags and sealing , after picking up at the post office yesterday ...

Thanks for a great job Wolfy ...

cheers

Latest posts

Back