Australian craft beer makers are at bursting point. So where to next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaaaargh!
Hang on, on second thoughts, if we take the latest craze of 0% alcohol, mix it with the hard seltzer phenomenon.
MY GOD! I've got it, the next big thing is going to be Soda Water!!!
Wrap it up in a fancy can (200ml, keeps em coming back for more) and charge an exorbitant amount of money which keeps the tossers, and posers happy, whilst leaving normal folks alone, and unharmed. Shoulda been in marketin. ;)

The point I was trying to make is there seems to be no correlation between the price, and what is actually in the can/bottle, obviously breweries will have different costs, and markups but how do you justify $25 for a can of stout made in downtown Oz when you can get a bottle of monk goodness shipped halfway round the world for less? Not comparing apples with apples? Ok how about: Philter Stout $9.99 7%abv, Capital First Tracks Imperial $8.50 10.5%abv?

Just anecdotally, Capital First Tracks ($9) was a good beer, but it had absolutely nothing on Deeds Once More Into The Fray ($28)
Best thing to do when buying good, expensive beer is to completely ignore the cost... hype boys are too ******* expensive if you are going to look at the price.

I rarely buy commercial beer of any sort, as I'm quite happy with what I brew and consider to be a reasonable slurp of my one longneck each day.
Once a year I lash out and buy a bottle Rodenbach.
Yeah, I know, I'm the last of the big spenders, but when you are retired and living on solely your own resources with no Gumment help whatsoever (they think I'm too rich), you need to be just a little bit careful.

Soda water then hop the shit out of it, winner.

Hangover, there may be an organisation, Hopaholics Anonymous, that can help you. I've heard you sprinkle Citra pellets on eggs and stuff a roast chicken with Galaxy flowers.

Aaaaargh!
Hang on, on second thoughts, if we take the latest craze of 0% alcohol, mix it with the hard seltzer phenomenon.
MY GOD! I've got it, the next big thing is going to be Soda Water!!!
Wrap it up in a fancy can (200ml, keeps em coming back for more) and charge an exorbitant amount of money which keeps the tossers, and posers happy, whilst leaving normal folks alone, and unharmed. Shoulda been in marketin. ;)
From the many surveys that have been done on drinkers and 0 % alcohol beer, there is not a significant market for it. I think the many bits on social media and even print media are part of a campaign by some of the big companies to make 0 % abv beer trendy. By saying it is enough times it becomes real. Nothing new, the beer industry is like many industries with marketing people using the old - " if you can't dazzle them with brillance(or flavour) baffle them with bullsh.t"
I think there will be a tipping point for brewery numbers and history has shown us this before. Many have started up just to sell up, not that this is wrong. Many add-on businesses who want their piece of the pie and the pie is getting bigger at the moment but it won't for ever.

My perspective.

I make beer cans for a living and have done so for 20 years.

A few of the craft breweries are still going as strong as ever.
The majority have dropped off a little bit, but are still going.
Some have dropped right off, but I haven't heard of any of our customers going under (not that anyone would tell me anyway)

Hangover, there may be an organisation, Hopaholics Anonymous, that can help you. I've heard you sprinkle Citra pellets on eggs and stuff a roast chicken with Galaxy flowers.

Slightly OT:

Speaking of hops with food, I had a particularly lovely meal a few years ago at a restaurant somewhere in country Victoria (can't remember if it was up around the snowfields or Daylesford way), which was slow cooked lamb neck with a hop jelly in place of mint jelly. It was most excellent.

JD

So, do you know how to make a million dollars out of a brewery?

Spend 10 million.

Latest posts

Back