Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a porter category not an ale category. Nothing wrong with being beaten by a Baltic.

JasonP said:
Its a porter category not an ale category. Nothing wrong with being beaten by a Baltic.
But at the end of the day a brown and robust porter are ales while a baltic is a lager.

Getting into nomenclature as much as stylistics but it's a valid point.

Mr. No-Tip said:
But at the end of the day a brown and robust porter are ales while a baltic is a lager.

Getting into nomenclature as much as stylistics but it's a valid point.
Can be fermented with a lager yeast or cold fermented with an ale yeast...

NewtownClown said:
Can be cold fermented with an ale yeast...
Can be. May be. Historically & contemporaneously with lager yeasts, perhaps & almost certainly.

Currently (& in recent history) not.

It's a lager.

BJCP Guidlines 12C list ale yeast as well as lager yeast. A does the AABC style guidlines
A Baltic Porter is a "...dark lager or ale", according to Zainashef in Brewing Classic Styles

Just looking ahead to the 2015 nationals - I see the AABC website lists the competition as happening at "he weekend of 17-18th October at the Charming Squire Brewhouse in South Bank, Brisbane".

If the comp is running on a Saturday and Sunday, does that mean club night will be on a Sunday night? Or will there not be a club night this year? Just interested in finding out what's happening around the comp so I can plan travel accordingly.

Hi All,

The organising committee here in Brisbane have locked in key components of the AABC2015, but are still formulating the plan for events surrounding the main competition.

I can say that a club night is unlikely at this stage.

What is more likely is some kind of tasting tour of local venues that have sprung up in Brisbane over the last couple of years, but we are still working on a few ideas.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Dave Clarke
AABC2015 Chief Steward & Organiser

Mr. No-Tip said:
That's really disappointing.
Yes, I must admit it was the biggest draw card to coming and helping out. But I guess resources only go so far.

Qlders have always brought it strong on club night, I was looking forward to seeing what they did on their home turf.

A celebration of amateur brewing, celebrated by a pub crawl?

Missing the mark I think….

Missing AABC by half a week. Family holiday to Gold Coast starting 22nd. Shame about club night, but a tasting tour sounds like a fair substitute.

Can I get some clarification on the rules for AABC? If I won a category at the states, that gives me an entry to the same category at the nationals.

Am I correct in this interpretation: I can enter the same category (eg Stout) and enter a max of 2 styles in this category, but not 2 of the same style?

So I should ideally be submitting 2 styles of stout? Eg an oatmeal and a sweet?

I'm then confused by this rule 'A maximum of three entries in any category will be accepted from each State/Territory'.

By 'entries' I take it they mean people, and not 3 beers from the one state? That wouldn't work out as there are 3 place getters per state, which would then mean we're only submitting one beer each.

One winning beer gets you one entry to nationals - not two.

Yes you can enter a different beer in the same category if you really want to.

I will leave the definitive answer to the organisers/experts - but heres my take on it.
donald_trub said:
Can I get some clarification on the rules for AABC? If I won a category at the states, that gives me an entry to the same category at the nationals.

Am I correct in this interpretation: I can enter the same category (eg Stout) and enter a max of 2 styles in this category, but not 2 of the same style?

So I should ideally be submitting 2 styles of stout? Eg an oatmeal and a sweet?

I'm then confused by this rule 'A maximum of three entries in any category will be accepted from each State/Territory'.

By 'entries' I take it they mean people, and not 3 beers from the one state? That wouldn't work out as there are 3 place getters per state, which would then mean we're only submitting one beer each.
Beers are "entries"
Brewers are "entrants"

If you placed in the states you get an entry into the same Category that you placed in. If you haven't got another bottle of the same beer to submit to the Nationals you can enter something else in the same category (but can be a different style).

You would only get to enter two styles ain the same category in the Nationals if you placed with two styles in the same category in the states.

GP is correct.

I'll add that if you "place" in the State & don't have another bottle of the same beer to submit for the Nationals, you can either re-brew the same beer for submission, or enter another beer in the same category. If you elect to do neither, then the opportunity to enter the Nationals goes to the 4th-place-getter in the State for that Category.

'Hope that clears things for you.

That's almost exactly how I knew.
I placed 4th last year.
3rd placegetter couldn't get his entry in.
So I got called up as 4th place.
I didn't have a bottle of the same beer but had something else same category, but different style

I got my ribbon and score sheets back (thanks hub guys!!! Great feedback.) but no info about how to go about entering the nats. How does i do it?

Edit: splelling and, grammar.

Latest posts

Back