Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bradsbrew said:
Well bugger me, I did not even think of the left overs. Not that I really give a rats, but what happens to all the left overs after judging?
Some have suggested running them through a still.......but I wouldn't recommend it.... :blink:

Well at Vicbrew,stewards are generally considered to have first pick of the left overs,if the flight has gotten a decent score and comments it's shared around,after that,it's the 'dregs' table for any punters to try..Martin of course,is waaaaaaaay to professional to drink while attending to his duties :lol:

bradsbrew said:
Well bugger me, I did not even think of the left overs. Not that I really give a rats, but what happens to all the left overs after judging?

As a past judge of other comps , we after the day sit back and imbibe the (good and unusual) left overs to make sure we didnt get it wrong.
Taxi :p
Nev

toper01 said:
Well at Vicbrew,stewards are generally considered to have first pick of the left overs,if the flight has gotten a decent score and comments it's shared around,after that,it's the 'dregs' table for any punters to try..Martin of course,is waaaaaaaay to professional to drink while attending to his duties :lol:
AHEM!!!

I wish to take umbrage at your comment, Sir!

At Vicbrew, my Stewards (notice I spell it with a Capital "S") are a very hard-working bunch that I believe deserve only the best & I make sure that they are rewarded for their efforts.

Purely in the interests of Quality Control ( :ph34r: ), I actually encourage the pouring Stewards to give everything a "sniff & sip" test before it's released for judging. That way, if there's an absolute "Dog", I can stop it ruining the judge's palates. The down-side of that is that I get to taste the dodgy-ones & decide if they're actually judgeable or not.

If there's a good one, they are advised to refrain from such emotive outbursts as "Cor! **** me swinging! This one's an absolute CORKER! Hey, guys! Get your laughing-gear around this one!" before it's actually been judged......

If the beer scores well, the table-stewards will often return the jug to the Stewarding-area & QUIETLY (I stress this to them during their initial briefing!) let the others know that it's potentially one worth tasting. The others, generally get turfed down the sink.

I have no problem with my Stewards tasting/drinking whatever they want, as long as they don't get rat-arsed & can't do their job (again, part of their initial briefing).

Now, toper, I have, on occasion, been known to assiduously apply a little bit of "Quality-Control" to my duties as Chief Steward & that, of necessity, means occasionally sipping a few beers here & there... :ph34r: . I'm sure you understand that it's always & ONLY in the interests of promoting the quality of the competition.....

OK, OK, so ....towards the end of the day, I'll find something I like & sneak a few :chug: but by then, having run the whole show, I feel justified in having earned a beer or two, or three...jugs....

Those bottles of 'Parabola' must be near going off by now Martin,we should do a taste test at Vicbrew,just for 'quality control' ;)

manticle said:
You need to place in your state comp first. In vic, the organisers of the comp (vicbrew) then organise and post eligible entries. Not sure if qabc and others follow suit - check with them.
Wait I thought you only send 1 bottle of 500ml and above. If you win do you then have to send it in to vicbrew and they forward it to the aabc comp? Or do you just send it yourself there. How does that part work, sorry I'm a comp noob .

If you win/place in vic comp, vicbrew will pay for your entries and arrange to get them to aabc. You do not need to fill out forms - just get your eligible entry to a rep in time.

Actually my memory may be fuzzy. Details on beer style, og/fg and yeasts used might be called for too.

toper01 said:

Gryphon Brewing said:
As a past judge of other comps , we after the day sit back and imbibe the (good and unusual) left overs to make sure we didnt get it wrong.
Taxi :p
Nev
I was refferring to that people are now to send 2 bottles to QABC and comp organisers will send off place getters to AABC free of charge, which I think is a great format. But it will leave alot of left over bottles, could be a couple of hundred. I know that in previous years you could send in 2 bottles so that the second bottle could be used for BOS but they were not really used as the judges do not drink the whole bottle.
I do not think it's a scandal or anything like that, just wondering who gets the job of emptying all those bottles. I think an emptying of left over bottles day for stewards and judges could be on the cards?

Cheers manticle, I'm going to be away for five months so was wanting to know what I would have to do in the slim chance I placed in something....

You do need to fill out a form and get your entry to someone from the Vicbrew committee. Sorry if I gave anyone a bum steer. Members of my brewclub are members of Vicbrew so it's been easily sorted for me the last couple of years.

tallie said:
Brad, I've answered your question over at the QABC 2013 thread.
Thanks Chris, as I said I don't really give give a rats what happens to them was just curious and besides all my second bottles will be off to AABC :lol: :lol:

Anyone having a poblem downloading the AABC entry form?

Want to know if i can enter my high scoring mead;)

barls said:
Want to know if i can enter my high scoring mead;)
I also have a mead which may be High scoring that I would love to enter :p

AndrewQLD said:
Anyone having a poblem downloading the AABC entry form?
Andrew, I know we've covered this via PM, but for everyone else's benefit, please note as per the AABC website:

"Placing (1st, 2nd or 3rd) in any category at your State Qualifying Competition qualifies entrant to submit an entry, in the same category, at AABC 2013".

In other words, you can't enter the AABC directly without having qualified at State level. That's why there's no access to an entry form on the AABC website, soas to prevent someone getting a direct "wild-card" entry to the Nationals.

MartinOC said:
In other words, you can't enter the AABC directly without having qualified at State level. That's why there's no access to an entry form on the AABC website, soas to prevent someone getting a direct "wild-card" entry to the Nationals.
How can those who placed in a state qualifying competition get access to the entry form? I'd like to know to where and by when entries have to be submitted.

Latest posts

Back