Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Yes of course there are special circumstances such as Australian light / standard / premium lagers etc, and I see that there is now a Commonwealth beers category including Australian Pale Ales, no doubt there due to the tireless efforts of our own research machine Korev. (ed: Peter's listed in the credits at the front of the 2015 guide)

Point I'm making is that it would be really good at this time of the brewing year for the State and Nats websites to announce what guidelines they are actually going to be judging on, so we can sharpen our urns and roger our grainfathers (that could be ugly) :ph34r:

Even if it's just a case, at the moment to say "same as last year" so there's a point of ref.
Bribie,

This is from the SABSOSA website re the 2016 gudelines.

Thanks, Wally, so pretty much #2008 with the usual Aussie styles worked into it.

OK on checking around (that I should have done in the first place) I see that QLD isn't going with #2015 either - same for Vic.

It would seem highly unlikely (to me) the AABC would take on BJCP 2015 guidelines and categories as they are. The U.S. Competition (NHC) is using the new styles but categories similar to the 2008 groupings.

I would expect the AABC to keep mostly the same categories, but update the styles accordingly (with a select few new styles added).

But I would hope the changes are announced at this year's AABC for implementation next year. There are a few subtle (but IMHO worthwhile) changes to some styles that judges and Brewers should have time to adjust to.

To enter the AABC you need to place at a state level comp which are generally happening about now. If you place at a state level comp they will usually then provide you with more info about entering the AABC.

Has anyone got info on what scoring system is used in SA? Not complaining at all about my results at all, im just interested in reading a bit more about the system they use for future reference!

Cheers

Stu Brew said:
Has anyone got info on what scoring system is used in SA? Not complaining at all about my results at all, im just interested in reading a bit more about the system they use for future reference!

Cheers
I helped out with some judging. Your sheets should be available via Compmaster now. Usual scoring system as I know it, out of 50. There were 3 judges per category so you will have a total out of 150.

Killer Brew said:
I helped out with some judging. Your sheets should be available via Compmaster now. Usual scoring system as I know it, out of 50. There were 3 judges per category so you will have a total out of 150.
ah makes sense!! Thanks ill have a look. Who ever got to drink that columbus harvest ale should think of themselves as rather lucky....I almost kept it!!

Killer Brew said:
Not me unfortunately, I was doing darks. What did it score?
100 on the harvest cause I put into specialty other....noob mistake. Still guessing what the secondary bottles will do compared to the brite kegs which dont last all that long!

My APA with Idaho 7, Super Alpha and Pacific Jade. That got 10th with 107 but same score as 9th in APA so joint 9th? I was hoping for a top ten so im pretty stoked considering im only at my 10th AG batch now! Im really not using expensive kit so im really happy!

Did you have any beers in the comp?

Yeah, had 7 in most of which made top 10 in their categories. Unfortunately I didn't crack top 3 on any to get through to the Aust champs this year. Well done on your results, good ones given you are only just getting into AG!

Killer Brew said:
Yeah, had 7 in most of which made top 10 in their categories. Unfortunately I didn't crack top 3 on any to get through to the Aust champs this year. Well done on your results, good ones given you are only just getting into AG!
Yeah cheers. I understand enough chemistry to get me by for now. Im back onto kits for a while now while the hops is on. Not enough time for AG, and dont like to rush things.

Top work on that...pity about not getting anything into the nationals! There were heaps more entries than last year. Heaps of guys that usually place didnt I think. Hard comp that one. 28 APA's....26 Stouts you'd have to be stoked to have placed I recon. Im not sure a lot of the other lads looked at it like that....but significantly more entries than 2015!

Am I right in thinking that the judging for the Nationals is happening this week?

Good luck to all entrants! Couldn't be too bad to be on a tasting panel for this one!

I would imagine the overall quality would be pretty outstanding tho... specially my one :drinks:

Les the Weizguy said:
I hope you're right, as I'll feel quite the fool turning up to judge and no beer to be assessed.
Contrarian, the beers for the Nats can vary, depending on if they are re-brewed or stale, or a single off bottle, etc.
Yep - the 2 years I've judged the nationals were no better than the state. That is to say there were quite a lot of flawed beers and a reasonable number of good ones were past their best.

Latest posts

Back