Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone please explain to me the difference between the two styles of Australian Lager and Australian Bitter Ale (Lager)?

Or is it just semantics?

I missed this when it was posted:

8.1. Australian Bitter Ale
Appearance: Amber to pale copper; bright clarity; moderate white head supported by very high carbonation.
Aroma: Light fruity esters with a background caramel note. Hop aroma low to none. No diacetyl.
Flavour: Moderately fruity, with a light caramel malt flavour. A distinctive peppery, herbaceous note from Pride of
Ringwood hops should be noticed. Malty sweetness should be low, tipping the balance firmly towards bitterness,
without being aggressively bitter. Medium-dry finish, with a predominantly fruity/bitter aftertaste. Trace
fusels/phenols from high sucrose fermentation may contribute a tangy flavour note, often considered
characteristic of Australian style beer. If present this character should not be perceived as sharp or solventy.
Mouthfeel: Light to medium-light body, with a noticeable carbonation prickle, particularly when served chilled.
Overall Impression: A crisp, light flavoured, thirst-quenching Bitter, ideally suited to a hot climate. Traditionally
served well chilled and highly carbonated, accentuating the characteristic tangy hop bitterness.
History: Definitive Australian style, evolved directly from colonial era Pale Ale/Sparkling Ale as crystal malt was
introduced during early 20th century. Originated independently of English Bitter, and remained a bottled style
exclusively. Developed as a narrow style, typified by a handful of State-based brands, using a high proportion of
cane sugar, high-alpha domestic hops, and standard Australian ale yeast (originally isolated 1888 at Victoria
Brewery in Melbourne). Dominant bottled style by mid-century, with major brands exported. Converted to lager
yeast during late 20th century, as megabrewers standardized production with draught lagers. Modern Bitter remains
by far Australias biggest selling packaged beer style, and following draught release in 1992, market leader Victoria
Bitter now accounts for one quarter of total Australian beer sales.
Comments: Style refers to the traditional ale version of Australian Bitter, commonly labelled Bitter Ale prior to
lager conversion during late 20th century. Note: 2005 heritage release VB Original Ale is an all-malt English style
Bitter and should not be considered prototypical of the Australian style.
Ingredients: Australian 2-row lager malt. Restrained use of crystal malt for colour and flavour. Substantial
proportion of cane sugar, typically around 30%, for light body and signature fermentation profile. Pride of
Ringwood hops, bittering addition only. CUB ale yeast or similar. Attenuative English or American strains most
suitable. Note: Whitelabs WLP009 Australian Ale yeast (Coopers strain) is unsuitable. Variable water profile, soft
Pilsen type preferred.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs ABV
1038-1048 1005-1008 25-35 4.2-5.2%
Commercial Examples: The major Bitter Ale brand names have survived but the modern versions are all lagers
and the term Ale has been dropped from labelling (eg. Victoria Bitter, Melbourne Bitter, Castlemaine XXXX
Bitter, Tooheys Red Bitter, West End Bitter, Emu Bitter, Cascade Bitter, Boags Strongarm Bitter).

Comments: Style refers to the traditional ale version of Australian Bitter, commonly labelled Bitter Ale prior to
lager conversion during late 20th century.

As Wikipedia says "Citation Needed"

Who wrote the above claptrap and can they supply evidence that any of the mainstream breweries brewed ale versions of VB etc up to the late 20th century? I've been here since mid 70s and never encountered any of the fantasy beers referred to. ????????????

I

lager conversion during late 20th century.

As Wikipedia says "Citation Needed"

Who wrote the above claptrap and can they supply evidence that any of the mainstream breweries brewed ale versions of VB etc up to the late 20th century? I've been here since mid 70s and never encountered any of the fantasy beers referred to. ????????????

I may be wrong but VB original seems to fit that description, a shame its not brewed anymore. <_<

This will probably be like Bundaberg Rum trying ever so hard to subtly shift its brand from a Rum matured in American Oak to one matured in Red Gum - because they can't get hold of more Oak cheap.

In 2028, we'll sit at the bar and say, "Hey, whatever happened to Bundy Gold? You know, the one with the yellow label?"

It got eaten up in the name of profit and the suckers didn't even know thier product was being degraded in taste but not cost.

Welcome to the ever-shifting line in the sand known as consumer stupidity.

By 2056 Australian Lager will actually taste like sewer water - and the ratrace will be lapping it up. :D

I'd love to taste an Australian Bitter Ale. Who's got a recipe?

I may be wrong but VB original seems to fit that description, a shame its not brewed anymore. <_<
Except the style guidelines specifically say that this isn't an example...
I did enjoy the beer as well though...

It seemed to me when I read they style guidelines that this appeared an attempt to resurrect a historical style, similar to what happened with the Classic American Pilsner perhaps (although I'm not certain of the history of the rebirth of this style but I believe it was mostly through homebrew).

My reading of the guidelines is that you have to just read them and attempt something based on the description, as there are no commercial examples.

I'm undecided as to whether I really agree with the idea or the style but that's my reading of what is being attempted...

yes but according to the style guide it'a a fake

Note: 2005 heritage release VB Original Ale is an all-malt English style
Bitter and should not be considered prototypical of the Australian style.

Personally I think this new style is a wind up :p

I'm undecided as to whether I really agree with the idea or the style but that's my reading of what is being attempted...

Yeah it is a confusing style guide. :rolleyes:

VB Original fits the guide so well, but maybe it was a bit malty for style :lol:

You are correct. And more to the point where has American Amber Ale gone?

These Mexicans have been giving the Tequila a bit too much of a bashing, methinks. And also to the point, as we are using the Nat guidelines for the State comp where indeed is the Amber for next fortnight ??????? :eek:
American Amber hasn't been there for at least 2 years, this and last, not sure about before that.

When we BJCPd / AABCd the BABBS comp we put American Amber in knowing it would be a style that a number of brewers brewed but I believe the number entered across the years hasn't been huge and always dwarfed by pale...

If someone is trying to resurrect a style then that's good, like resurrecting the Cornish Language. However I'm not convinced that there is such a style to be actually resurrected. As one of the older members of AHB I have been drinking beer in Australia since the 70s and as a former CAMRA member, home brewer and LHBS proprietor I have always taken a keen interest in the beers on offer (never having been a VB or XXXX only megadrinker). I was also fortunate to have lived through the QLD Beer Strike of around 30 years ago and at that time just about every rag tag and surplus beer in the country was directed at QLD including stuff like Southwark Green Death and Coopers Big Barrel Lager. If there was an ale in that lot then please let me know.

I think this or these guys are trying to resurrect BigFoot, the Yeti and Leprechauns.

8.1. Australian Bullock Driver Grog
Appearance: Orange and cloudy
Aroma: Yeasty and hint of skunk
Flavour: Sharp, sometimes acidic and very reminiscent of fusel oil from the short pail-fermented primary, with no secondary.
Mouthfeel: Bypasses the mouth due to being dry as a dead dingo's donger and this stuff anoints the tonsils after
a long haul of Candlewood with a team of eight down the ranges all day in Summer heat from Dorrigo.
History: Definitive Australian style, evolved directly from colonial era prison hooch.
Comments: Style refers to the traditional almost poisonous stuff they had to drink when good honest Queensland Rum was unavailable or
out of reach of the lousy pittance paid to bullockies in the mid to late 19th Century, particularly during the 90s Depression.
Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs ABV
1090-2000 1005-1008 10-2 8.0-9.0%
Commercial Examples: The major Bullocky brand names have survived but the modern versions are all lagers
and the term Ale has been dropped from labelling (eg. Kestrel Lager, Skol Superlager, Steel Reserve American Malt Liquor)

do you mean a load of coprophagia ? :ph34r:

Just had a squizz on Wikipedia ROFL :lol:

You are correct. And more to the point where has American Amber Ale gone?

These Mexicans have been giving the Tequila a bit too much of a bashing, methinks. And also to the point, as we are using the Nat guidelines for the State comp where indeed is the Amber for next fortnight ??????? :eek:

Amber has been sought of missing for two years? I brewed an Amber this year for SABSOSA but then when I went hunting for the class in AABC :eek: . So now I will be entering it in the American pale class. The colour range in the Pale class is quite broad. I doooooo hope the judges really take that into account. I now have an APA and a APA / Amber. Need to decide on which one to enter since I can't enter both?
7.1 American Pale Ale [BJCP]
Appearance: Pale golden to deep amber. Moderately large white
to off-white head with good retention.

BYB

Just had a squizz on Wikipedia ROFL :lol:

Amber has been sought of missing for two years? I brewed an Amber this year for SABSOSA but then when I went hunting for the class in AABC :eek: . So now I will be entering it in the American pale class. The colour range in the Pale class is quite broad. I doooooo hope the judges really take that into account. I now have an APA and a APA / Amber. Need to decide on which one to enter since I can't enter both?

BYB

Noone has answered if we can enter two beers in the APA category yet!

-BD

Have a look at 9.5 American Brown Ale. The colour range is fairly broad and probably closer than an APA if you are on the darker end.

-BD

The way I read it, you can't enter two.

"No more than two entries are allowed from each entrant in any one Category.
Within this rule, no more than one entry is allowed in any one style.".

The rule kinda contradicts itself but if you break it down there is only one style so only one entry.

<_<

Which reminds me all you QLDers who want to qualify for the AABC make sure your entries are in this weekend:

Entries are to be delivered by 1.00pm the 28th August to: CraftBrewer and Brewers Choice shops.

If you are after more info follow the below link:

http://www.qabc.org.au/

Cheers,

TS

-BD

Bd there is no way you could better that one you put into BABBs - I can taste it now. At the judging table we were moaning like whores, would never have picked it as yours as it was less than 80 IBU. :wacko:\
If you entered two, we would probably have to get St John in for the occasion. B)

Bd there is no way you could better that one you put into BABBs - I can taste it now. At the judging table we were moaning like whores, would never have picked it as yours as it was less than 80 IBU. :wacko:\
If you entered two, we would probably have to get St John in for the occasion. B)

Hmmmm......... decisions, decisions... :(

The way I read it, you can't enter two.

"No more than two entries are allowed from each entrant in any one Category.
Within this rule, no more than one entry is allowed in any one style.".

The rule kinda contradicts itself but if you break it down there is only one style so only one entry.

<_<

That's right - only one entry in the APA category because there's only one style.

Mark H
AABC competition organiser

Latest posts

Back