Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a link to an address for sending my entries to AABC??

Cheers Brad

Yes the trust we have in the postal service!!!!!

:huh:

So the judging is underway. Anyone know when we can expect to know the results?

Do we need to wait until after the ANHC Gala dinner on saturday night?

Look out Captain Wadey will go off at you.

Jebus, how old are some of you guys?
Have you become so used to instant gratification that you require up to date information on everything?
Get a grip!
The people organising such things have much more important things to do than just pander to the requirements of the web community.
Get involved and you might have a different perspective on things.

And in case you were wondering,
Yes I do have a beer entered (didn't drink them all this year apparently).
Yes I have been involved before.
Yes I was around before children were given access to ARPANET.

Wadey
Yes, my real name, not some anonymous internet handle.

Not having a go at you Haldini. Pretty sure we have to wait til satruday night.

Cheers

What? No AABC twitter account giving a running commentary?
</jokes>

Heh. I wasn't trying to come across as annoyingly Gen Y.

I don't really mind if it's today or next week, was just wondering when it will be.

Saturday night is perfect, as I'll be at the gala dinner :icon_cheers:

What? No AABC twitter account giving a running commentary?
</jokes>
:ph34r:
I'll admit I did actual go looking for the Twitter feed for both aabc and anhc........
Damn 2010, damn it to hell with it's twitters and facebooks.

So at the risk of being impatient and childish.

Any hints on when the results will be posted up, either here or on the AABC website??

IIRC last year they got posted early to mid week. P.U.B.S down the street from you did well, I believe Lyall took out the Bo Pils, on North Pine Dam water as well :blink:

:icon_cheers: Congratulations to Kelly and Graham... great brewing guys

full result are out, should be on the website shortly, at least by the morning I imagine.

IIRC last year they got posted early to mid week. P.U.B.S down the street from you did well, I believe Lyall took out the Bo Pils, on North Pine Dam water as well :blink:
Not to mention champion brewer and best beer of the show :) well done Lyall. Also Browndog who surely helped tip QLD over the line, we are now No. 3 State, as opposed to coming in last in 2009 :beerbang:

Congratulations Lyall,Tony,Graeme, Neil and David. Fantastic results and a great effort by all the Qlders. Lyall you must be over the moon, well done.
Thanks to the organizers, Judges and Stewards.
Congrats to all other place getters too.

Andrew

congrats to all the winners. looks like a very high standard

I'd also like to point out to all the purist yeast nazis who claim dry yeast is crap..... 5 winning entries used standrad dry yeast,.

I'd also like to point out to all the purist yeast nazis who claim dry yeast is crap..... 5 winning entries used standrad dry yeast,.

slightly :icon_offtopic: but highly relevant.

im sure they handled their yeast and more so prepared it correctly too. :icon_cheers:

This isnt a dry yeast bash and you will see why. Dry yeast is completely fine assuming you handle it correctly and pitch it at correct rates.

I overheard some interesting information that Chris White (whitelabs) was discussing regarding the use of dry yeast. I believe he estimated cell death of dry yeast if not rehydrated of close to 50%. AKA pitching direct to fermenter.

Now using that information, see the following. The dry yeast packets state on their spec sheet each packet contains 11.5g of yeast and the viability at packaging is 6 * 10 ^ 9 (6 billion cells per g) which equates to 69 billion cells in a packet.

What do whitelabs and wyeast have as a starting point? Around 31% more viable cells in a fresh smack pack/vial. (wyeast state 100 billion cells, whitelabs between 70 -140 billion cells.)

Now the figures above are assuming you pitch the dry yeast after rehydrating. If not, that figure could be closer to 65% less yeast if you decide to sprinkle the dry yeast directly onto the wort.

Now if we think about correct cell pitching rates, what cell count do you need for a 1.050OG 20L wort?

750000*20000*12.5 = 187.5 billion cells.

At worst, one non-rehydrated dry yeast pack will get you to 18%~ of that recommended cell count.
one smack pack/vial assuming 100% viability of a liquid culture at 100 billion cells = 53% if your cell count.

I know what option i would choose.

Smack pack + 1L starter. For those fond of dry yeast, atleast two rehydrated US05 packets. ;)

Latest posts

Back