Australia Day lamb advertisement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wide eyed and legless said:
Safeway early in the morning when they knock 50% off marked prices for the last day before the use by date, lunch today was a 3.680 kg of rolled pork shoulder $15.00. Legs of lamb roll out at an average of $12.00.
Nothing like the taste of sow stall raised pork.

wereprawn said:
Why is the price of lamb so high these days? As a child, in the mid 70's, we lived in a small town named El Arish in FNQ. In the wet season my old man would be rained of work for weeks in a row at times, and as a result we ate a lot of lamb during those times because it was so cheap ( along with ox tail, liver, kidneys, crumbed brains ect...).
Being brought up in the finest frugal pedigree, Yorkshire mother and Scottish father, offal was a constant on the table, brains delicious, found that the Asian butchers still stock them, a quick boil into the crumbs, and knowing my daughters told them they were crumbed scallops, but that didn't work.
Liver, not lambs, calves, sauteed with onions in a red wine sauce, drool fodder.

Old butcher I knew in Singleton used smoke brined lamb shanks....

They where much better than bad sex....

He also made the best smoked Pastrami, Jerky and Pepperoni I have had

wereprawn said:
Why is the price of lamb so high these days? As a child, in the mid 70's, we lived in a small town named El Arish in FNQ. In the wet season my old man would be rained of work for weeks in a row at times, and as a result we ate a lot of lamb during those times because it was so cheap ( along with ox tail, liver, kidneys, crumbed brains ect...).
From what I've heard a lot of properties got out of sheep/wool and into beef because of the labour needed -shearing etc to run sheep.Supply and demand situation.A butcher by trade but haven't worked in a shop for quite a few years some of the prices of some cuts are quite surprising but then both cattle and sheep prices that the producers are getting are more inline with what they should be getting and good on them too,Rob.

Coles and Woolworths effectively have a duopoly on meat supply and thus control the pricing. The days when there were both premium and budget cuts of meat are all but over. Red meat is either expensive or ridiculously expensive in a country that supplies its own domestic demand and the farmers are not seeing much of profit in this game. The lamb lobby do a great job of marketing their product but those neatly trimmed lamb cutlets that they show in their ads come in at around $35 a kilo or more.

Totally true. I moved to Oz in 1997 and pork and lamb were the cheaper meats. Then Coles and Woolies started renaming bits "pork scotch fillet", etc, bullshit designations solely designed to drive up price. Voila! 4 or 5 years later and all the meats are pretty much the same price. Every shin cut is osso bucco. Hell, even blade steak is $18 a kilo. It's a fucked move solely designed to increase profits at the expense of lower income people. For that alone - not to mention your attempts to drive all food producers to produce under your inadequate labels - **** you Cole's and Woolworths.

Black Devil Dog said:
My dogs love lamb shanks, well they used to, until people started eating them and the price went up.
Yep. Got a mate in Cooma who family use to run sheep. They still laugh about that.

Never mind. In the not to distant future, along with being relegated to passenger status in self driven electric cars, we'll all be eating insects and cultured meat anyway (http://www.memphismeats.com/about-us/ ) as there seems to be no other practical way to satiate our three times a day animal food habit.

What could be more Stralian than throwing a few witchetty grubs on the barbie?

I believe its because we export everything of quality leaving the "unwanted" for us Australians. That's why all the so called cheaper cuts of the past are now the price we were paying for the premium cuts. Same goes for our seafood. What bugs me is when there is a push for buy Australian, support Australian produce you know that there is an issue with exporting, eg the dollar; a glut overseas of the product, cost etc. I also wonder what happened to all that meat from the poor old milk cows due to the collapse of many dairy farmers, I think I've eaten some passed off as premium?

We should do a deal with Japan and buy our gas from them and save even more as what we want need not be exported and re- imported back. What a total saving for us Aussies for our own bloody gas!

grott said:
We should do a deal with Japan and buy our gas from them and save even more as what we want need not be exported and re- imported back. What a total saving for us Aussies for our own bloody gas!
Yeah why not, but not before they value add to it of course or use it to power their manufacturing sectors and build cars and stuff. Just like the iron ore, copper, uranium and laundry list of other goodies we ship outta the Lucky quarry Country.

Dave70 said:
Yeah why not, but not before they value add to it of course or use it to power their manufacturing sectors and build cars and stuff. Just like the iron ore, copper, uranium and laundry list of other goodies we ship outta the Lucky quarry Country.
481px-1974-1977_Datsun_120Y_(B210)_sedan_03.jpg

I find lamb shanks, rosettes and flaps (ribs) as well as pork hocks in the dog food/offal section of my local Foodland. Also find things like chicken carcasses, meat scraps/bones that are great for stock making etc. All sold cheap. I often buy up all the shanks and rosettes each time I'm there until I have enough to fill the large slow cooker. Bought several pork hocks and slow smoked them for pulled pork. $5/kg of smoky goodness! Lamb flaps were $2/kg. I had no idea what they were but figured I could use them for something. A tad fatty but slow cooked they melted away to perfection.

Love the new ad, it does exactly what they set out to do, get people talking.

Ducatiboy stu said:
They've come a long way since then you know.
Apparently the new model has electrically powered windows and at least two cup holders.

Nissan-GT-R-GT-6-NSIMO.jpg

Dave70 said:
World wide the price of gas has increased ,can't see how Japan can get our gas cheaper than us, not putting up an argument that the facts are wrong but only wondering if the trend towards solar power continues other energy resources will take up the slack. Maybe we should be looking at all the sites for fracking the CSG, plenty in Qld we could be taking advantage of.

Latest posts

Back