Aussie pils ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigwilk

Reaction score
Planning on doing a simple single malt pils and a early POR and half hallertau addition 22 IBUS going for the S-23 yeast but planning on

starting at higher temps say around 14c and letting it go as far as 17c to try and get a style similar to the Aussie mega swill but with a
lighter malt flavour. Has anybody done something like this if so please let me know how it went. :kooi:

Im sure Manticle or possibly batz have a recipe for an aussie lager with the warmer ferment. From memory it was mashed at 62c for 2 hrs

I'm drinking a 80% jw pils 20% jw dark munich, helga 20 ibu aussie midstrength fermented with wy czech pils, its awesome.

It was a starter for 40l of the same beer but undiluted, 1050 and 30 ibu, lagering atm can't wait to get on it.

Admittedly the yeast is a big contributor and not aussie, but the helga at flameout is great too.

Pratty1 said:
Im sure Manticle or possibly batz have a recipe for an aussie lager with the warmer ferment. From memory it was mashed at 62c for 2 hrs
Not me.

Batz has farkin lager, not sure of the details.

Add some cane sugar and you're well on the way to VB.

22IBU and no late hops is not going to be a pilsner though. Aussie Lager yes, Pilsner no.

I'd ditch the S23. Had a few beers with it and I find it quite sulfury and horrible really.

Not my bag but the recipe looks reasonable for what you are after.

I think some of the guys have had good results with s-189 at higher temps

An excellent yeast for Aussie Lagers is Wyeast Danish, fermented between 13 and 19 degrees. There aren't really any Aussie mainstream Pils in the strict sense, but my recipe posted by RdeV above gets fairly close to Cascade Premium, using Hersbrucker but any Euro Hallertau type hop would work. My lager using S-189 at above temps got results at the NSW comp last year, that gave me a foot in the door to the Nats. Then I used the Wyeast Danish in the Nats themselves, got a gong.

The Danish yeast is very similar to Fosters B strain, apparently, and gives that slight metallic and faintest hint of sulphur that says "Aussie lager". Not to mention sulphates in the water.

This my recipe, I find I get that distinctive Aussie 'lager' twang (presumably a mixture of sulfur and esters).

Grain (OG 1.046, FG 1.008-1.010, mashed 65C)
80% JWM ale
10% Wheat malt
10% dextrose (I also add a touch of roast malt, approx 20 g)

Hops (22 IBU)
Northern Brewer or POW to 10 IBU
Hallertau @ 15 min, 1 g/L
Hallertau @ whirlpool, 1.5 g/L

Yeast:
34/70 fermented at 15C, allowed to free rise to 20C with about 3-5 gravity points left.

Note: I don't believe Carlton use any hops, opting for iso-extract at the filter to dial in the prescribed BU's. If I wanted a beer that tasted like VB, I would just buy it, so don't get too hung up on using aroma hops (not that you will appreciate this low oil hop amongst the sulfur and esters).

I got hold of some Wyeast Urquell Lager 2001 and decided to push the idea of an Aussie pils as bastardised as it may be. Thought process was an easy drinking beer with Aussie malts plus PoR and Saaz. I was also after a bit of colour and biscuity character without the crystal sweetness so went with a pinch of roast barley.

3.8kg JW export pilsner
20g JW roast barley
Pinch of MgSO4 in the mash, RO water

Mash at 64°C

6g PoR (all I had) and 25g Saaz at 60 mins
35g Saaz at whirlpool

Overshot my volume horrendously due to faults entirely my own and ended up at OG 1.042. It'll be a nice ~4.2% quaffer I'm hoping.

I've spun up a 2.5l starter of Urquell pitched yesterday at 10.5°C and will ferment at 11°C. 12h later it's showing signs of life. Very much looking forward to the end result of this.

CUB use a variety of hop extracts that also impart hop flavour and aroma. Iso hop is an "extract of an extract" and is bittering only for IBU adjustment. It's a common misconception that this is all they use in their beers.

Originally they built their hop extract facility to smooth out the seasonal variations between hop crops in those days, not because they didn't want to use "normal" hops.
I have it on good authority that they do use a very small quantity of hops, probably Superpride, in the boil to create nucleation points for the hot break.

A good example of their differing extracts is to go to a NSW pub that serves Reschs Draught and try a glass vs VB.
An even better one is to compare VB with Melbourne Bitter, both of which come from the same mash and boil before being watered down* then "dressed" with caramels and hop extracts for retail sale. MB actually has a nice hop background for an Aussie.

* Ooops did I say watered down? What I should have said was "the gravity adjusted to sales strength" :p

Should also have mentioned that CUB / Fosters do indeed use hops in brews such as Cascade Premium. It used to be Hersbrucker but now it's Summer.

edit: nearly all the cheap Euro imports by liquor chains, for example Oettinger, Henninger, Hooten, Sainte Etienne, use hop extract, demonstrating that you can get nice euro aroma and flavour from extract.
Hop extract is a bit of a mythbuster thing for me which is why I tend to bang on about it :)

Latest posts

Back