Aussie Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samchris00

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am currently fermenting my 3rd brew (Cooper's Aussie Pale ale) I put it down on the 26th April and added 1kg BE2 with yeast added at 25 degrees and OG being 1038, i checked my beer tonight and it was only at 1024, have i done something wrong as i thought it should be finished fermenting now, its been at roughly 14-20 degrees while fermenting. If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

With the same kit and BE2 mine finished at 1010. It took about 2 weeks to get there but I left it for three just to make sure. If your using the kit yeast remember that it is a ale yeast and works best at around 18degC.

From what I have read on AHB about similar problems in the past you are best to let it warm up to about 20-22degC. You can also give the fermenter a gentle shake to make sure the yeast are suspended as well. I would try not to pop the lid as it can potentially introduce an infection.

sorry for OT. whats the aussie pale ale like??? I put one down on the weekend but made about 24 lt batch and used some saaz C only 20g @20mins and 20g @10mins just to up the IBU not sure what it will be like. I also used BE2 and 500g of malt wanted to top up around 25lt mark but frothed to much and it was only a 25lt container so didnt want to push it (thought my 30lt was free but was wrong) so OG finished at 1.060 :wacko: ahh well hope it turns out ok not to sure on the saaz in there but will have to see.

Thanks, i will check it in one week and let you know how it goes :), also what does this beer taste like compared to a comercial one?

Sounds like your yeast has stopped eating. Try to keep it above 16 deg, preferably around 18 - 20 deg.

a ale at 1.038 could be done in even less then a day if all is right, 1-2 days and done, anymore then a few days and there is something wrong.

Drinking one right now that I fermented for a week, transfered to a cube, added 22.5g of Amarillo USA pellets (dry hop) and stuck in a fridge after a few days (crash chilled) then kegged.

Yummy!!!!!!!!!

One of the best beers I have made to date.

G,day everyone,

Im doing a Coppers Traditional Draught with BE2 + .500g of light dry malt @ pitch saf-05
around 18 deg OG-1046,

Been down now for 12 days now after first 2 days working away nice @ 18 deg
then a cold change come in & it dropped back to 15 deg then we got some freezing cold weather on Wed just gone -4 over night & the brew dropped even lower about 12-13 deg :rolleyes: !!

checked 2 days ago FG-1024 & checked again last night FG-1022 its slowly coming back ideal FG
would be 1010 i havnt tried to warm it up because i know Saf-05 will be ok on low temps
it might take another week yet then again i could prob just bottle it now :eek: ,

Some times the weather gods dont always work out but by using a better yeast i can sleep @ night
& dont have to worrie as much.

Cheers Rob.

G,day everyone,

Im doing a Coppers Traditional Draught with BE2 + .500g of light dry malt @ pitch saf-05
around 18 deg OG-1046,

Been down now for 12 days now after first 2 days working away nice @ 18 deg
then a cold change come in & it dropped back to 15 deg then we got some freezing cold weather on Wed just gone -4 over night & the brew dropped even lower about 12-13 deg :rolleyes: !!

checked 2 days ago FG-1024 & checked again last night FG-1022 its slowly coming back ideal FG
would be 1010 i havnt tried to warm it up because i know Saf-05 will be ok on low temps
it might take another week yet then again i could prob just bottle it now :eek: ,

Some times the weather gods dont always work out but by using a better yeast i can sleep @ night
& dont have to worrie as much.

Cheers Rob.

Im doing somthing very similar at the moment and after 2 weeks im at 1.014. US 05 can be slow with BE2? just be patient and let it develope.

I have the idea that the wort temperature needs to be fairly constant during fermentation. The volume of liquid evens out some air temperature fluctuations. And as well I insulate the fermenter with a couple of blankets or foam chest (no need for a frig here in winter). Never had a stuck ferment.

Latest posts

Back