Aussie Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry

To thine own self brew
Reaction score
If you wanted to make an Australian version of an IPA what would be the ingredients?
I was thinking of using POR and Galaxy hops, Coopers yeast or WLP Burton yeast (for the esters), Mainly base malt with a low percentage of low crystal. Some sugar to make it dry or low mash temp?
Any thoughts?

If youre keen to throw some NZ hops in the mix, try mixing Galaxy with Nelson Sauvin, works beautifully IMO, just make sure you use 50% Nelson to Galaxy, otherwise if you drink it fresh the nelson will dominate, I did about 2/3 and it was a bit much in the first 2 weeks, but now the galaxy's really coming through and its becoming awesome, pity the kegs about to run out <_<

Oh, and I wouldnt put any sugar in there, but thats just me, if you want it dry, just mash lower, 64ish...

Sounds good Barry, I think you are on the right track. I suspect if you use any serious amount of Galaxy then it will overwhelm any flavour or aroma from the PoR. Is that what you had in mind?

If you wanted to make an Australian version of an IPA what would be the ingredients?
I was thinking of using POR and Galaxy hops, Coopers yeast or WLP Burton yeast (for the esters), Mainly base malt with a low percentage of low crystal. Some sugar to make it dry or low mash temp?
Any thoughts?

I recently made an "Australasian IPA" (really more of an International) with two and a half buckets BB Pilsner, 1/3 bucket Weyerman Vienna, two pint glasses Aussie Dark Munich, one pint glass Wey Wheat, three pint glasses JW wheat, one pint glass JW Dark Xtal , couple handfuls carafa special III, half pint cara aroma and a kilo of white sugar for a 40l batch. Mashed at 64, s I do most of my beers, especially big ones. Hopped with NZ hops, tho you would probably use POR. The late hops were a blend of Motueka and Nelson Sauvin, and a teensy bit of Warrior at 15 mins. Used a yankee ale yeast, Denny's Favourite 50, aka American Pub Ale. OG was about 1.070, and ~65 IBU. Turned out great, would brew again. I haven't come across any Australian aroma hops that strike my fancy, hence the concession to NZ, who are IMHO developing some brilliant hops. Anyway, what this wall of text recipe is saying is that if you subbed Aussie malts for all the international specialties, it'd make a great Aussie beer.

Not much in my mind. Still thinking, so how much galaxy is too much? NS is good but it tends to make it an ANZAC IPA which would also be good.

I reckon if you went 50/50 POR and Galaxy near and at the end of the boil you would end up with a pretty good IPA.

cheers

Browndog

20 minute boil Galaxy is nice, then 10 min boil is nice. A flame out or 2 minute addition of galaxy really bumps up the nose. All 10 grm additions. The galaxy is stronger than Amarillo, so if mixing, try 15 grms Amarillo for 20 mins, 15 grms Amarillo 10 mins and flame out 15 grms galaxy. That's what I am doing tonight.... hopefully it will be a good one.

I prefer galaxy and Amarillo for Aussi IPA's. And more malt as well. 800 grms malt and 200 dex is about right for this ( my preference )

Before butters rocks on up and say more malt = more hops to counteract it's sweetness......... I agree. :lol:

Not much in my mind. Still thinking, so how much galaxy is too much? NS is good but it tends to make it an ANZAC IPA which would also be good.

You could try Galaxy on its own which is nice? This was really enjoyable, allthough not an IPA...

But you really cant go wrong with an Anzac IPA IMO, the combination of Aussie and NZ hops goes together so damn well! B) PM me if you want the Anzac recipe..

Or, as suggested, a US/Aus IPA by throwing some Amarillo and Galaxy in together, which is something ive tried recently as well, but havnt been able to taste yet, just under a week to go till I do :chug:

awesome...I've got 90gms of yet to be opened galaxy flowers and been as yet undecided of what to brew em in but an IPA seems the ticket. :)

awesome...I've got 90gms of yet to be opened galaxy flowers and been as yet undecided of what to brew em in but an IPA seems the ticket. :)

I made a blonde ale that was bloody beautiful with pellets a while back, will definitely be doing it again.

cheers

Browndog

Galaxy is a great hop but very pungent. I would say 30% or more aroma and flavour in the beer compared to other hops.

I made a red ale a few months back with 15% carared and 3% caraaroma to 1.060. Lots of malt. Only used 56g total in 28 liters and all you can taste is galaxy. 20g at flame out, 16g at 15 min and the rest to bitter.

ended up with about 45 IBU too.

another option is Aussie Cluster. I noticed ESB has the current crop listed on its website. Going to get some for a CAP myself. Great bittering hop and more "floral" than POR.

I would bitter with cluster, and make a mix of 30% POR, 40% cluster & 30% galaxy to late hop with.

3/4g / liter at 15 min and 1.5g / liter at flame out.

ale malt base with 5% pale (100ebc) crystal. No sugar, mash cooler.... say 65 deg and make it to 1.060, 50IBU.

Wyeast 1275 would be great, or just US-05.

Thats what i would do anyway :)

cheers

another option is Aussie Cluster. I noticed ESB has the current crop listed on its website. Going to get some for a CAP myself. Great bittering hop and more "floral" than POR.

What is a CAP??

Cheers

Leary

Back