Aussie Brewer Disputes German Beer Law?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoah, really, or am I missing a gag? What qualifies it as a lager? There's plenty of darker beers that use pils as a base malt - or are you saying lager yeast is used? Or have I completely missed something (which wouldn't be unusual :blink: )

Hopper.

No gag, it's a lager. Search around.

Screwy

EDIT: Did some research and found:
JSP has become an ale now
. Sorry for the misinfo.

It's easy to pick up mis-info. Even sources like Roger Protz can be mistaken. His now quite out of date but still useful "Complete Encyclopedia of Beer" cheerfully asserts that Toohey's Old became bottom fermented and was no longer a true ale. I was even going to use a lager yeast for my current Old attempt for a mini comp and have been swiftly corrected by the forum :p

Mind you this is the infallable Protz who also states that Cascade and Boags merged some time ago. Hmmmm? :huh: :huh:

After a ten hour drive in January the couple of pints of JSP at the Town Green in Port Mac were so welcome I couldn't have cared less what was in them.

It's a constant source of amazement that NZ produces hops to die for (I have just had a sneaky taste of my Kiwi Blonde showcasing Green Bullet and NZ Cascade in a blonde maize ale ) and I wonder why the mainstream Kiwi brews are so bland, does it arise from a time when they had to import all their hops or is there a nanny society thing happening here - I believe that the Temperance movements were far more active in good old Protestant NZ. Porridge and John Knox. aye. :p

To be honest the one thing ive noted with our swill over yours is that ours is in general more bitter, every mega swill beer ive tried in aussie I note is quite a bit sweeter... But that doesnt mean the swill over here uses lovely NZ hops (NZ cascade not included in the lovely part imo) they use bloody isohop cheap crap just like over there...

But NZ craft beer, now thats different B) We seem to have alot more craft breweries and craft beer gets better exposure, but of course weve allways had Macs leading the way, where as you guys had Coopers but that seemed to be more concentrated in SA

To credit coopers, they havnt sold out like Macs has <_< (as far as I know? :rolleyes: )

At the end of the day, drink what you enjoy and brew what you enjoy drinking. Personally I'd much rather go to a Bavarian Bier cafe for a few on Paulaner Pils on hot day than another pub for a VB or Tooheys New, but that's my preference.

I think that article should really be titled "Aussie brewer disputes Barmaid from the Bavarian Bier Cafe".... but then again I don't think it would stir up as much of a fuss :p

At the end of the day, drink what you enjoy and brew what you enjoy drinking. Personally I'd much rather go to a Bavarian Bier cafe for a few on Paulaner Pils on hot day than another pub for a VB or Tooheys New, but that's my preference.

Pop in there after work here as well :huh: ;) Sure most people do.

Batz

Back