Atc Refractometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoohaaman

Reaction score
Hi Guys,for an ATC refracometer should the readings be the same if the sample is hot or allowed to cool.

I usually take a small sample allow to cool(room temp) then apply,if I leave the sample to cool further I get a higher reading.

Does the temperature compensation work in both directions?

Thanks

Refraction is temperature dependent. Your refractometer instructions should include which temperature it is calibrated to. If you're not sure... 20C-25C would be a good assumption.

Thanks Adamt,it is 20C,I changed grains and crush size.So was second guessing myself.

It's like a compass,even if you think it's wrong.It's right :p

Lot of people assume the ATC will take care of any temperature your put on the refrac. Im sure I've read somewhere that this is not the case. I take readings with a spoon, if taken as the boil ends I may try some on the lens after 5 mins or so. If I leave some sample in the spoon and leave it another 15mins the reading will be different. Though I don't know if this is due to the temperature affect, or water evaporating off and the sample concentrating.

mika, i never apply from kettle,always wait 5 mins on a spoon also.If wait longer brix increases.

Isn't waiting longer just a below 20c reading?So at a colder temp brix naturally increases?

Thanks to reVox i picked up my Refractometer yesterday from his place ( thanks for the beers mate )

The one's we got have ATC and from what you blokes are saying is the temp of the sample has to be at 20c....how do you measure the temp of 2 drops of wort? The way i read the instructions is to place 2 - 3 drops on the window, close the lid and wait 30 seconds to take a reading?

Am i reading this right?

Rook

Latest posts

Back