Artisanale Fresh Wort Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rusty274 said:
I had the Riggers Black IPA, I found it tasted more like a stout than a Black IPA but it might have been the fermenting temperature (to high). It was still really nice tho!

Has anyone tried a FWK pale ale. Might give one a shot.
Fermented mine at 19c and it was great, not super hoppy, tasted like the one on tap at G&G

Bought an American Brown for the second fermenter to try out

What FG should the Oatmeal Stout finish at? Mines conked out at 1.020 with S04 and doesn’t want to go any lower. I tried a fast ferment sample which I've been aerating and keeping warm and it too hasn't budged from 1.020 in the last 3 days.

I only diluted with about 1.5l of water but 1.020 seams a little high to me for a FG? Being a FWK I don't know what it was mashed at, I didn’t even bother to take a OG reading.

My stouts always finish high and sO4 has a reputation for not finishing the job. Wait if you can but I would trust an ff test. Try another with fresh 04 - if that gets it down, pitch an active starter of more, fresh 04.

Kegging or bottling?

This'll be kegged - hasn't budged from 1.020 for over a week now and I gave the yeast cake a good stir up a few days ago.

I just emailed G&G to ask if it sounds about right, unless they come back with something different I think I'll call it and put it in the keg.

If it tastes ok I'd be inclined to do the same. High proportipns of roast malts do contribute to high fg

I agree with Manticle...
S-04 can be a bugger...
The yeast I originally used was a wyeast Irish ale with the stout but if you want something that will chew that bit further and is a dry yeast , you can't go past Nottingham ...
As mentioned , we don't know what the mash temp was..
Also for everyone's info , the G&G are now using a 500 litre braumeister and using the 200 as a hlt of sorts and doing a sparge...I also understand they are using a pump as the German job's pump won't work above 80 degrees...
Cheers
Ferg

My Oatmeal Stout FWK finished at 1.019 with Notto...

Absolutely cracking drop. Will definitely do again for next winter.

fergthebrewer said:
I agree with Manticle...
S-04 can be a bugger...
The yeast I originally used was a wyeast Irish ale with the stout but if you want something that will chew that bit further and is a dry yeast , you can't go past Nottingham ...
As mentioned , we don't know what the mash temp was..
Also for everyone's info , the G&G are now using a 500 litre braumeister and using the 200 as a hlt of sorts and doing a sparge...I also understand they are using a pump as the German job's pump won't work above 80 degrees...
Cheers
Ferg
They must move a fair few of the FWKs to justify the expense... I might have to give one a try.

Cheers guys, tastes bloody awesome so I'm happy to keg it as is, not worried about a couple of points here or there just wasn't sure how far off it was or if I should keep trying to get a few more out of it.

John from G&G got back via email and said it was a little high but he'd be happy to drink it at that.

I was in KK about half an hour ago and noticed that they had Cheeky Peak FWKs for $45 (same as the G&G ones). Has anyone tried those?

Only reason I didn't grab one to test out is because there were about 7 varieties and my kids were in the car, so my indecisiveness would have kept me there deciding which to try for too long.

I'm drinking the hip hop ale ATM. Not a bad drop at all.

I tried a sample of their Aussie lager(don't know the name) when down on the border a few months back, was not a bad drop.

I've got a cheeky peak ishana IPA in the fermenter now. Can't wait to try this one at 7%.

I bought one of the IPA kits a while back it had a OG of 1.062.

I diluted it down to 1.042 which from memory gave me 26 litres from the original 17.

It also put me at around 40ibus diluting down from the 60 it started at. So a good way to get a standard APA. Was a really decent beer and was well received by my mates.

Still has some good aroma but could have dry hopped.

Back