Are Some Yeasts More Susceptible To Infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
Reason I ask is that I have had about 5-6 batches using US56 in succession all come out with off flavours. Still drinkable, but not like they should be. I then get put off ales in general and do a lager using s189 which always turns out well, and then after a while try another ale and get the same result. I am not doing anything different except I have used up some Galena for bittering that I would not normally use.

Suggestion or similar experience?

CHeers
KOS

First thing that immediately springs to mind is the fermentation temperature difference between US-05 (ale) and S-189 (lager).

i.e. Your (recurring?) infection strain may prefer ale temperatures.

First thing that immediately springs to mind is the fermentation temperature difference between US-05 (ale) and S-189 (lager).

i.e. Your (recurring?) infection strain may prefer ale temperatures.

Good point, mind you my system is pretty simple hence easy to clean and sanitize, one ball valve on the kettle that get a run of boiling wort before chilling.

Reason I ask is that I have had about 5-6 batches using US56 in succession all come out with off flavours. Still drinkable, but not like they should be. I then get put off ales in general and do a lager using s189 which always turns out well, and then after a while try another ale and get the same result. I am not doing anything different except I have used up some Galena for bittering that I would not normally use.

Suggestion or similar experience?

CHeers
KOS
What off flavours? Does it look different? Repacked yeast or original packs, use by dates?
Could be a bad batch of dried yeasts.
GB

What off flavours? Does it look different? Repacked yeast or original packs, use by dates?
Could be a bad batch of dried yeasts.
GB

Its a hard one to describe. A coarse bitterness that lingers. It lookes no different, pours a nice head and is very clear (Polyclar VT). I am hoping it is the yeast because I put down an English ale using 1098 yesterday. Repackaged yeast with a use by date of Sept 2010.

You don't dry hop by any chance do you KOS?

Andrew

If anyone is interested I took a bottle over to Ross. Problem is that I have not been mashing my ales too low and have also carbed as for a lager. The resulting beer does not have the sweetness to balance the hop bill and the over-carbonation bites. This is stuff I know but seems I needed to learn again. I have a bias towards mashing low after my first beers all had a cloying sweetness that I did not like....

Bottom line is yeast and sanatisation all OK. With the number of infection treads on the go its no wonder we are all looking over our shoulders for the infection boogyman ;)

Latest posts

Back