Are Ping Pong Balls Food Safe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am wondering what is better. The hops being restricted in a bag held in suspension within the wort or the hops being able to 'freeball' and end up in the trub and krausen?

Cheers

whats wrong with just peeling back the cling wrap and throwing them in no sock ?

or are you not using pellets ?

I'd vote for the 'free ball' option - seriously.

I am wondering what is better. The hops being restricted in a bag held in suspension within the wort or the hops being able to 'freeball' and end up in the trub and krausen?

Cheers
I get a brighter aroma from a big bag suspended in the wort other than freballing. The same way hops restrict bacterial and yeast growth (coating in resin) you also lose some of the volatiles being extracted into the beer. I feel allowing the hops to mix witht the trub scrubs out quite alot of aroma.

Saying that though, half the time I just chuck them in... Through laziness mostly.

I get a brighter aroma from a big bag suspended in the wort other than freballing. The same way hops restrict bacterial and yeast growth (coating in resin) you also lose some of the volatiles being extracted into the beer. I feel allowing the hops to mix witht the trub scrubs out quite alot of aroma.

Saying that though, half the time I just chuck them in... Through laziness mostly.

It would also depend on what stage of ferment you put them in as well?

Cheers

Cheers
Yeah true, i tend to put them in a day or so before cold crash. The extraction will happen faster the warmer they are, but also have more yeast interaction (when held in suspension). So when held in suspension I like to hold cold (-1c) for about 7 days prior to packaging.

Go buy a pair of neodymium magnets.

Put one in your hop bag. Put the other on the outside holding the bag where you want it.

Adjust the level to suit your extraction.

Yeah true, i tend to put them in a day or so before cold crash. The extraction will happen faster the warmer they are, but also have more yeast interaction (when held in suspension). So when held in suspension I like to hold cold (-1c) for about 7 days prior to packaging.

Agree with you here in part argon as I like to dry hop for 7 days at fermentation temp in secondary before dropping to cold crash. :icon_cheers:
All this bullshit of course depends on your personal preferances, blah, blah, blah.

Dan brad, :lol: (private joke)
A 10% increase in dry hopping additions is neither here nor there when dry hopping. Refer to Post 12 mate.
I go this way because of the advice I received many, many, years ago from someone we all love & respect.

Not trying to inflict my dodgy brewing practises on you Brad so perhaps just suck it & see mate?. :D
Been doing this for a long time but will not be upset at all if someone kindly points out the error of my procedure.

TP

PS --- Broncos have survived "Life Without Locky" in round one at least so that's gotta be good news? :super:

Leaf hops I normally put into a stocking (de-dyed, sanitised) and that floats, usually they'll go in after high krausen - if that helps the OP.

THBOMM Screwy uses some kind of food-grade float in his MT. PM him.
TP

A fishing float actually, not strictly food grade but working well I believe.

batz

If you drink red wine, keep the plastic corks (if the bottle uses them), they are food grade and can be boiled to sanitise them. I've used new ones in the past in a keg to keep the mesh bag from blocking the pickup tube when the hops sink.

Back