Are my hops Kaput?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Okay so before I get told to do a search I have and I know it's a well talked subject but the answers I get Site to Site are way too varied and you lot are a wise bunch so I'll ask anyway. For almost a year I've been storing hops in their original bag with one of those clip things and then in a zip lock bag with the air squeezed out as much as I can and in the freezer. My main question is how long do people think they would last in this state before going cheesy? I've psyched myself out this morning when using the last of my galaxy (about 7 months old) and couldn't work out if I was smelling cheesy or just that freezer smell. As they warmed they smelled less odd however lack lustre for galaxy (that wouldn't be surprising to me) so how long do people think hops will last in that state before going cheesy? I always thought it was a few years kinda deal, maybe not. Also I have a few other varieties half full, cascade centennial and Amarillo which are only a few months old, will they be okay stored the same way or do I just throw them out and start again? If I do throw them how do I store them after opening? I don't want to have to buy a vac sealer but will if I really have to, can I do the clip thing and maybe a glass jar tightly sealed? Would love some feedback guys, I do lots of small batches so it takes me quite a few months to get through 100g of hops, if they're only going to last a couple of months in the best storage besides vac sealed I might have to go out and get a vac sealer :/

1423628713036.jpg

From my experience the English varieties have more of a chance to go a bit "hows your father" or cheesy. They seem to have a more loose, more moistureish composition to them. That's a word. most of the other varieties are fairly robust.

That said I've got 2-3 yr old hops that were given to me and they still make perfectly good beer. I'm sure the compounds we all talk about have diminished somewhat but they still impart flavor and bitterness. You can even do some calculations if you know the age an AA% if your super keen.

Vac sealer is worth the coin but not necessary. Re-seal your hops the best way you can and put them in a freezer and just use them.

To put in perspective fresh is best, no doubt but they do come with at 4 yr shelf life printed on the commercial bags. Not ideal but if they have no distinctive "bad" aroma's then your just wasting product.

My only other recommendation is if your going for late hop additions use the fresher you have, bitter additions go the old.

Just had a wiff of my wort as I pitched it, I get a big garlic thing going on :( this might be my first tipper. Hoping it's all in my head and I come back tomorrow and smell goodness.

Dude, dont screw around, just get a vac sealer. You know you are going to get 1 some day anyway. You will have hops that will last for years and years, can vac seal food like fish etc. Ive done sous vide steak in my urn plugged into my temp controller before. Also, when camping, I make up spag bol, curries etc then vac seal and freeze in meal size portions to go in the camp fridge. Plenty of uses for it and your beer will improve due to fresher hops.

Just do it.

Gah looks like I might have to, what should I do about my other hops currently stored as pictured? After say three months should I just bin them?

If you open your freezer and smell hops then your storage is poor.
My observations over many years of brewing is hops dont last long when not vaccuum sealed.
The beer wil be awful if the hops are stale.
Some hops do keep better than others but if you are storing hops then a vac sealer is almost mandatory.
To many hours spent brewing and fermenting to have the final product ruined by a couple of bucks worth of hops.

dicko said:
If you open your freezer and smell hops then your storage is poor.
My observations over many years of brewing is hops dont last long when not vaccuum sealed.
The beer wil be awful if the hops are stale.
Some hops do keep better than others but if you are storing hops then a vac sealer is almost mandatory.
To many hours spent brewing and fermenting to have the final product ruined by a couple of bucks worth of hops.
Yep that's the thing, I'm not willing for a few bucks of hops and a lack of a 60 dollar vac sealer get in the way of good beer. Don't want to turn this thread around but do people have any links to a good compromise between price and quality for a vac sealer?

Smell the hops. If in doubt, throw it out.
I don't store hops amazingly well (no vac sealer so ziplock or otherwise tied up) but I can smell and taste freshness. How long is a piece of string? Learn to use and trust your senses.
Then get a vac sealer.

manticle said:
Learn to use and trust your senses.
Then get a vac sealer.
Trust your senses Luke..trust the force....

Then when you're done with all that, get a Vac-Sealer...'Lots of incidental uses other than just packaging hops (as mentioned above).

The hops you've got atm will be absolutely fine for bittering & probably flavour additions, but go "freshest" for aroma additions.

Vac-sealers are much like any other appliance. You can get a cheapie that does the job adequately with no bells & whistles (eg. Hyundai-model), or an expensive one (Ferrari-model that's so highly-strung & temperamental that you'll rue the day you paid good $'s for it). Have a look around at consumer websites for reviews before buying.

Now you've read/heard it a few times.... ;)

Edit: FWIW, I've had hops that I bought in NZ in foil pouches in my freezer since 2007 & they're still perfectly fine, even for flavour & aroma (flamesuit-on! :ph34r: ).

Hops are generally a bit cheaper now than they were a few years ago....depending on from where you source them :)

I remember when I bought our vacc sealer I had made a beer that tasted totaly off and a spur of the moment decision came into play and I went to an appliance store and bought a Sumbeam Vac Sealer. At that time it was upward of $150.

When I got home you would of thought that I had gone out and "sold the farm".....you guys know what I mean..oh the carry on from my wife.
What a different story today, that old Sumbeam is still sucking like a two dollar hooker and my wife loves it.
It is one of the best and most used kitchen appliances she has and I have to ask permission to use it. :)

The ebay option available today provides some good choices for under $100 and they have many more uses other than hops.
For example, fish and meats keep extremely well once sealed under vaccuum.

As far as Vac sealers go, do yourself a favour and get one that cuts and seals, worth their weight in gold.

like THIS one (not seen this one before, sleek)

having a duel function is also good, they can come with a 'moist' setting that helps for stuff like marinated steaks etc like THIS one (no roll cutter on that model though)

and then of course there is the el cheapo minimal function types like THIS that neither cut not have other functions

no affiliation with any supplier yadda yadda...

Okay cheers for the replies! In a plot twist I gave the fermenter a wiff last night and it smells like nothing but fruity goodness, alllmost like I remember it but given the hops are definitely 8 months old they were at the end of their ropes. Got a vac sealer on the way and from now on will seal properly with that. Gonna chuck the open cascade and Amarillo, not worth not having them fresh

Latest posts

Back