Are Mongolian Burners Still Sooty On Low Flame?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
despite BYB issues with adjustable reg (thats really wierd mate), its the way to go. no stuffing about with height/proximity to kettle etc. we used Brendo's mongolian with pressure adjustable reg and it worked a treat. Ive got a mongolian and have to put up with the soot etc but only until i finally get a adjustable reg. its the way to go. but until then the reliable BBQ reg does the trick

Ok not quite on topic - but it does relate to mongolian burners - I have a 20 jet version - pumps out some serious heat, and it was cheap...

Slight issue getting the threaded join to seal on the burner - I'm using a proper tapered thread (which is meant to form a seal) but still a slight leak when you crank it... Is there a hot side equivalent of Teflon tape and where does one get it from...

Ps - I'm actually thinking I could use teflon tape - it would melt in there and probably seal it up... dodgy though...

I have the 23jet, using a rather common style 50L boil pot :) some may remember my soot issue...when i was sold a NG burner to use with LPG, but since i got the LPG jetted version, i have zero soot issues with it, and its more than capable of boiling up the suspicious 50L pot worth....does it with such ease, i couldn't imagine how good the 32jet is....

OK - I've gone with teflon.. if it doesn't work I'm coming after you CityMorgue :D

Did you buy one ready for LPG or did you get your original one converted?
Bring some booze and well make a party

ive got teflon on mine and it hasnt melted or burnt. use the yellow stuff too
you could put loktite/loxeal in it if you were worried about it tho

Did you buy one ready for LPG or did you get your original one converted?

the shop i got it from just swapped it for the LPG version, you can buy the LPG/NG Jets and change them yourself, they just screw in/out.

cheers

unrealeous said:
Ok not quite on topic - but it does relate to mongolian burners - I have a 20 jet version - pumps out some serious heat, and it was cheap...

Slight issue getting the threaded join to seal on the burner - I'm using a proper tapered thread (which is meant to form a seal) but still a slight leak when you crank it... Is there a hot side equivalent of Teflon tape and where does one get it from...

Ps - I'm actually thinking I could use teflon tape - it would melt in there and probably seal it up... dodgy though...
Teflon/PTFE will not melt... it's used on non-stick cookwear! It's designed for exactly this purpose. Tapered threads are not designed to seal but rather to tighten. The PTFE tape does the sealing.

I built my new 23 jet natural gas mongolian burner set up yesterday. It plugs straight into my home natural gas bayonet and consists of a 3m hose, a ball valve (on/off) and a gate valve (for fine flow control). A regulator is not necessary. Flashback preventers are not necessary.

A couple of points that I've seen floating around the forums with respect to natural gas burners to clarify:
  • Soot is caused by incomplete combustion (yellow flames). This is caused by low air:fuel ratio. I could wind mine all the way down so that the flames were completely enclosed in the brass jets, and no yellow flame appeared. The burners should have open space beneath them so they can draw in combustion air.
  • With the fuel consumption of these bad boys, a few metres of standard gas hose will give you all the pressure drop you need (2.5kPa --> 1kPa at burner WITH NAT GAS). There is no added safety benefit of including a regulator.
  • Flashback preventers are completely unnecessary. Firstly, they are only necessary where the oxidiser (air in our case, oxygen in gas welding) is under pressure and can possibly get pushed down the fuel line. Since the natural gas is at a higher pressure than atmospheric (2.5 kPa above), there is zero chance of this occurring. Secondly, flash back arresters are designed for high pressure gas lines. They will add so much pressure drop to your natural gas setup that it will most likely not pass enough fuel gas
EDIT: a couple points to clarify that I'm talking about domestic natural gas, not LPG or anything else

If you want a range of control that doesn't soot up get one of these burners:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261299666550

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251632798489

It's doesn't give a huge range of control - there's no simmering with these - but if medium up to blast furnace will do you, these are awesome. You can literally end up with a glowing red wok if you wander off for a minute. I used to use mine with my wok all the time, and actually originally got it for that purpose. Zero trouble handling big amounts of ingredients. I miss it a bit.

Either that or try to score a commercial one from Gray's or other auction house.

Edit: Derp, totally missed the necro.

Mardoo said:
If you want a range of control that doesn't soot up get one of these burners:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261299666550

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251632798489

It's doesn't give a huge range of control - there's no simmering with these - but if medium up to blast furnace will do you, these are awesome. You can literally end up with a glowing red wok if you wander off for a minute. I used to use mine with my wok all the time, and actually originally got it for that purpose. Zero trouble handling big amounts of ingredients. I miss it a bit.

Either that or try to score a commercial one from Gray's or other auction house.

Edit: Derp, totally missed the necro.
Unfortunately these aren't available/suitable for low pressure natural gas. In fact the very reason why they have greater turn down ratio (finer control) is because the high pressure allows mixing of air before the jet. The mongolians mix air post-jet.

The mongolian burner in NG was the best burner I could find for natural gas use.

Well, considering this thread has been phoenixed, related question.

What are people using for stands with these burners?

I'm using some refractory bricks to hold up my kettle. Works quite well, but it's a bit of a hassle to set up and pull down. I'm wanting to create a more semi-permanent brew stand, something I can move as a whole, instead of needing to lug around bricks and pavers. Obviously some kind of stand for the pot and holding device for the burner would be needed in that case...

(also, in regards to soot, yea, sooty as a chimney sweeper. But that doesn't worry me much. I don't put my keggle anywhere where i'm precious about the soot coming off. Doesn't appear to have any impact on the overall performance)

moonhead said:
Well, considering this thread has been phoenixed, related question.

What are people using for stands with these burners?

I'm using some refractory bricks to hold up my kettle. Works quite well, but it's a bit of a hassle to set up and pull down. I'm wanting to create a more semi-permanent brew stand, something I can move as a whole, instead of needing to lug around bricks and pavers. Obviously some kind of stand for the pot and holding device for the burner would be needed in that case...

(also, in regards to soot, yea, sooty as a chimney sweeper. But that doesn't worry me much. I don't put my keggle anywhere where i'm precious about the soot coming off. Doesn't appear to have any impact on the overall performance)
Yeah I prefer to reignite old threads rather than raise the ire of mods and start new threads on old topics :p

I plan to make a kettle stand out of welded SHS steel, and have a shelf under this for the burner to sit on. Nothing terribly fancy as it's going to get rusty as hell once the flames start licking it. Main thing is a windshield, but also enough aperture below the burner to get air into the flame.

I was planning the same thing, just without welds, cause (still) no welder. Had a bit of a design in mind mainly to kinda hang the burner on a shelf below the kettle, via some threaded rod. That way I can dial in the exact right height for it instead of relying on pre-cut/made sections.

moonhead said:
What are people using for stands with these
Not a mongolian, but this is a stand with a burner inserted.
Cheekypeak had this stand fabricated and delivered for nix, after the legs on the companion burner gave way and spilt 150L of boiling Ipa all over the shed.
Works great. Must get around to having the rest of the rig fabbed up.
That's a 170L kettle sitting on top.

20170406_171347.jpg

20170406_171435.jpg

Try a regulator like this.

Need one? PM me.

825Z005.jpg

With that reg and a 32 jet burner I reckon you could fill a hot air balloon, I was shooting a 3 foot flame with the reg turned right up but that was only testing in the lets see what this thing can do phase.

Back