Apple Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRO

Reaction score
Hi guys, i just brought an apple cider (brigalow extract can) and it says to use 1kg of sugar. i have never made an apple cider before and was wondering would it be beter to use dextrose or sugar as it says to? any help would be great, i also will be puting this on tap for the girls at a party in 3 weeks

Hi guys, i just brought an apple cider (brigalow extract can) and it says to use 1kg of sugar. i have never made an apple cider before and was wondering would it be beter to use dextrose or sugar as it says to? any help would be great, i also will be puting this on tap for the girls at a party in 3 weeks

Hey Bigro. I make this same kit every few months with 1 kg of dextrose and nothing else - unless I toss and apple in too (chopped up). It's crisp and clean, but you can taste the artificial sweetner as it's a little bitter.

Cheers,

InCider.

thanks incider. so maby i should try it with a kg of white sugar to see if it takes that artificial sweetner taste away? what do you think?

thanks incider. so maby i should try it with a kg of white sugar to see if it takes that artificial sweetner taste away? what do you think?

Go the dex - I am not sure the exact reason but the first thing I read on AHB was never to use sugar! :D Unless priming that is.

The artificial sweetner will still be there as the sugar will ferment out into alcohol. I think it's a better kit than Black Rock. :ph34r:

Cheers,

Sean

regular white sugar will be fine, as when sugar is fermented out, it tends to leave a little of a 'cidery' taste anyway, which wont be a problem in an apple cider, obviously.

should save you a dollar or two as well, lol.

cheers for the replys, i just made it up. i had a kg of dextrose in the cubord so i just used that, see how is goes and will let you know :chug:

i thought i would put my 2 cents in even its too late considering that you are already brewing

i have done 4 apple ciders and finally i am proud to say that the one i'm drinking now is the best i have tried

i used

Brigalow Apple Cider
Brewiser liquid sugar 1kg
2ltrs Berri aus fresh apple juice
2ltrs boiling water
filled to 18ltrs

no joke ppl its the best i've tried

pouring out of a keg too!!!

I think the brigalow kit is cool. Better than blackrock for some reason - cleaner taste for me. I'd love to try some more kits but haven't really seen any. Any other sources for kits or brands you have seen?

InCider.

cheers for the recipe BeerKeggingKing, well i have some bad news on my 1st apple cider. the brigalow one i brought from woolworths did didnt ferment, i checked the date on the bottom of the can and it was use by june 06 so im would say the yeas was dead, (i know, should of checked the date) anyway i poured it out and shot down to my local hbs and i was going to buy the brigalow kit but of course he only had blackrock so thats what i brought, i did what incider thought and used dextrose. now i have got some action, the airlock is going off and it smels good, so at least i gues im finaly going to have an apple cider one day. i like the recipe that you gave BeerKeggingKing and will try it one day, anyway thats my latest new and will keep you posted.

cheers

BIGRO

Great stuff BIGRO - there's nothing like it when the airlock goes. Or the O-ring goes and the you just have a peek for krausen...

I must make a beer one day with sugar to see how bad it is.... :D

InCider.

My recipe for cider was the following [all ingredients found at the local woolies]:

22L 'P&N' apple juice [or 'STOP' brand]
1kg white sugar
3 crushed cinnamon sticks, steeped for 10 minutes
3 split vanilla beans, steeped for 10 minutes

Fermented with champagne yeast and got apple champagne! Try and ale yeast for a more authentic cider.

I think the brigalow kit is cool. Better than blackrock for some reason - cleaner taste for me. I'd love to try some more kits but haven't really seen any. Any other sources for kits or brands you have seen?

InCider

No incider, i think they are the only 2 cider kits out there from what i have seen anyway??? i will ask at at the local hbs anyway

Used to be three. Black Rock, Brigalow and William Tell (?). I think that was the name. Yellow and green tin.

Saw it a few times at one of the local HBS. I think they stopped stocking it about a year ago from memory. But then I haven't been back to that HBS for awhile (easier getting grain on-line).

It may have been imported from England, but I can't be sure on that.

Back