Apollo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDave

Reaction score
just bought a few different hops to try, one of them being apollo at a massive 18.9% AA

anybody have any experience with this hop

looking for an extract recipe really

cheers for your time and effort guys

:icon_chickcheers:

With an AA% like that it should really be used for bitterness only and you'll want to go easy on it. To work out the replacement grams of another hop im sure its similar to the equation below

Original Hop Grams X(times) Original Hop AA% / (divided) by Replacement Hop AA% = Replacement Hop Grams

So for example

15g x 6 AA% (Cascade) / 18.9 AA%(Apollo) = 4.76g

That is to substitute for a similar end product as far as bitterness but im sure its gonna be insanely bitter with 15g and over powerful if used as a dry hop.

With an AA% like that it should really be used for bitterness only

Why?

[EDIT: Got any info at all, DD? I haven't come across this one yet.]

Was only quoting off the product info I found...don't shoot the messenger, maybe I should say recommended

Apollo hops are a variety that seem to be part of a newly cultivated group of high alpha acid hops. It is the common name of the hop plant known as 01051. The percentages I have seen on the web attributed to Apollo hops were in the double digits. Although I found some information about the hops, none of the big homebrewing supply stores had any Apollo hops available. Maybe as the years go on, this variety will be more available to homebrewers.

Origin: Golden Gate Roza Hop Ranches in Prosser, Washington (USA)

Aroma: Citrus notes, emphasis on orange, resiny, spicey

Alpha Acid: Between 18 and 21%

Typical Usage: Bittering

Beer Styles: Big experimental beers, any variety where hops should be showcased. American Ales.

These two scream "use in everything!" to me. But that might just be me.

Aroma: Citrus notes, emphasis on orange, resiny, spicey

Beer Styles: Big experimental beers, any variety where hops should be showcased. American Ales.

Thanks for the additional info. My interest is piqued.

[EDIT: fixed tags]

no i have no info at all i just got some random hops from jim at brewz2you and he said he got this new one in and i said id give it a go all i got is the label which is

09 us apollo
18.9% AA

im adventurous and willing to give it a go just looking for a push in the right direction im thinking like

10 g @ 20min
5g @ 5 min

too much too little should i use some for bittering if so how much?

Why?

[EDIT: Got any info at all, DD? I haven't come across this one yet.]

Plug it into your favourite brew program and see if it looks like it is delivering what you want alpha wise. Flavour wise it looks like you're gonna have to tell us. With that description there is no way on god's good green earth I'd be relegating it to purely a bittering hop. Gently-gently might be best for the first one though until you see if you like it or not. Please let us know.

I too am intrigued after further reading. May have jumped on the "recommended" band wagon too quickly. Some say its similar to Amarillo which is quite popular. Will have to grab some and give it a whirl and make my own decision.

i never really go in looking for a particular ibu i just drink what comes out the other end :drinks:

ill put a 10 gm at 15 mins in my next batch and let you know how i go unless someone comes on wih a better plan before i give it a whirl

I have seen it for sale and wanted to buy it, like nearly every hop. I reckon that would be a great IPA late/dry hop, should be pretty oily and stinky with an AA% that high.

You need to calculate the IBU if you want to balance it for the type of beer you are brewing and whether you want it to be malt focused, hop focused, or right in the middle somewhere.

There are some great free tools out there to help you do your calcs, and you can use the BU:GU ratio as a rule of thumb for balancing your hops against your malt.

With 10 minutes or so planning on a beer, you might be able to spend the rest of the batch enjoying the type of beer you prefer.

I'd use at least 2g/l in the last 15 mins to get a good idea of the hops.

For 30 litres I'd do say:
30g @15mins
15g @5mins
15g @flameout

The next hop I am 'trying out' will be at least 3g/l and it is 16% AA. It's gonna be a simple pale ale with neutral yeast. Don't be afraid of the alpha...

just kegging this now made a simple recipe to try and get the flavour/aroma profile

1 can of coopers draught
250g light caramalt steeped
500g LDME
400g dex
5g apollo @ 5 mins
7g apollo @ flameout
7g apollo dry hop
us 05 yeast

the aromo hit me like a train WOW im not good at explaining aroma/taste but i get massive orange and passionfruit aroma and then the taste orange with orange zest, passionfruit, and fruit spice this all straight outa the fermenter i swear ive drunk like a litre and a half outta the fermenter

i would definetly recomend this to anyone i think im gonna be using it alot reckon it would make a kick ass pale ale i would liken it to amarillo but so much more

I think LAgunita's of Califonia use it ina few beer, check out teh brewing network fro some clone recpies that use them, I think thier bronw shugga, adn IPA use it

Would any contributors to this thread (or others who have used Alpha) care to comment?

If not, I will post back with my experiences in another month or two.

Alpha and Bravo are the two next high alpha hops I am trying with my basic 10 min APA routine. I am hoping for more success than with Summit. I have been hunting around for some high alphas that aren't amarillo, nelson sav, citra, centennial as while they are all ok they all annoy me a bit also (although I am resisting doing too much blending yet while I am still at the 'testing' stage so I'm sure a combo of these hops will remove/improve on their one dimensionality. I'm loving galaxy, but I think - as with amarillo - it will be a brief yet passionate love affair. Not a citra fan.

Would anyone be able to update this thread? I'm planning on brewing with Apollo soon- anything to look out for?

Cheers

Stef

The good, The bad? The Ugly?

any news? or am I reporting in a few months?

edit: Interested in feedback on the Hop, not the recipe's here. Cheers

Back