Apa came out very white.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toad

Reaction score
What part of my process did I do wrong?
Beer tastes ok but is very white cloudy.
I cold crashed for two days and fermented for 10.
Final Gravity was 1.022.
Too much malt maybe?
Was hoping for a clearer pale ale.

All grain, extract or kit? What yeast? What ingredients?

That FG looks about 10 points off being finished (for a ~1.045 OG and yeast with ~75% attenuation).

Why did you cold crash at 22?

Warm it up again and get that yeast back to work, sounds as though the yeast was still in suspension if ot hadn't dropped clear by itself.

Sponge is right, you need to supply a bit more information.
If the beer was an AG brew the most likely cause is starch or protein haze, if as you say it's "white" then starch is the most likely, mostly from fine flour getting into the kettle, sparge/mash out too hot and not effectively separating your hot break.
For both AG and kit/extract, yeast is a good possibility, tho if you cold crashed for 2 days there shouldn't be enough yeast in the beer to make it white.

If you want a better answer, give your method and a bit of info on your process, ingredients, OG and FG, type of yeast, packaging method bottles or kegs...

Mark

Edit: - A photo could be very helpful
m

In addition to the above, if you bottled at 1.022, I'd be very careful when handling those bottles.. Possibly on the verge of (gently) tipping back into the fermenter.

Yep it's the yeast. I kegged it to early. Lesson learned I will always test gravity before kegging from now on.
It fermented for 10 days and thought it had finished but didn't test gravity until after I'd racked it.
Oh well lesson learned thanks lads. Yeast was us05 and much more lazy than I'm used too.

Back