Apa Base Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
OK, ive done a large search on different APA recipes through the site with the look to making one in the near future. The question i have though. Is which is my base grain for this beer? Ive noticed some recipes are using pils as the base, and others using pale ale malt.
What are the pros and cons of each?
Does one allow the other to accentuate the hops more?
Im looking at going cascade right through, maybe centennial or chinook for bittering though, not too sure yet. Still doing a search through here.

berto said:
OK, ive done a large search on different APA recipes through the site with the look to making one in the near future. The question i have though. Is which is my base grain for this beer? Ive noticed some recipes are using pils as the base, and others using pale ale malt.
What are the pros and cons of each?
Does one allow the other to accentuate the hops more?
Im looking at going cascade right through, maybe centennial or chinook for bittering though, not too sure yet. Still doing a search through here.
[post="104772"][/post]​
Berto try one of each - they will both work. I use ale malt and a fair swag of munich (probably a bit high for some people).

My favourite recipe so far is http://brewiki.org/brewsta/recipes/?sys=si..._7.01.beer=view
but I have never tried pils malt in an APA.

Thanks sosman.
You need a section in there where you can add your thoughts on the beer once finished. I like the touch with the pre brew changes from brew to brew.

IM leaning towards the ale malt, purely because im making a pale ale. Stupid reasoning really. ONly other problem is i dont have amarillo, and everyone is saying that cascade, centennial, and chinook are all crap for bittering.

Berto

I've always found a good compromise is to go 50/50 Pils and Ale and the usual amount of crystal. Seems to suit the style well.

I've added Munich or Vienna to the grainbill too on the odd occasion.

Warren -

berto said:
ONly other problem is i dont have amarillo, and everyone is saying that cascade, centennial, and chinook are all crap for bittering.
[post="104777"][/post]​

Nothing wrong with those hops for bittering Berto... Chinook I admit has a fairly coarse bitterness that finishes a bit rough for some, but then there are others who swear bye it... I've used it as my bittering hop in my American Brown & it's been very popular with everyone who's tried it so far...

cheers Ross...

I would have thought the answer is simple...l.if you want to make an American Ale.use a 2 row ale malt...why bother with the problems of DMS if you dont need to

Ive used ale in Lager...and Pils in Ale...and its just not right

Stick to the basics and you cant go wrong...malters spent alot of time making the right type of malt for the right brew....trust them

Gotta agree with ozbrewer
I recently made a porter with pils malt cause it was all I had, and it has turned out nowhere near as full bodied as usual, more lager-ish, if you will. I try and stick to Maris Otter for my ales, just cause it is what I have always used, and my one or 2 attempts with other pale malts werent as good. As far as bittering with the 3 "c"'s, I have heard that they lend a real grapefruit flavour that can be cloying, though I havent used them myself, and Ross has obviously had a different experience. I HAVE used amarillo for bittering (drank my last bottle tonight at 10 months old), and it definitely has a more grapefruit flavour/aroma that is a little cloying. I also found it was a rather rough bitterness when young (1-2 months). I would recommend using something a little more neutral in flavour, like Perle (they bitter SNPA with that) or northern brewer for bittering, and go with the citrusy hops for flavour and aroma. Thats my opinion only, though, so make it how you will. Hope it turns out very nice
All the best
Trent

ozbrewer said:
...why bother with the problems of DMS if you dont need to

[post="104785"][/post]​

So Ozbrewer you're saying you get DMS in your lagers? :unsure:

Warren -

ozbrewer said:
Stick to the basics and you cant go wrong...malters spent alot of time making the right type of malt for the right brew....trust them
I don't think there's as strong a relationship between ale yeasts and ale malts, and lager yeasts and pils malts as you do. IMO, a witbier, tripel, saison, alt, or Klsch needs a pils malt. When maltsters say "ale" I reckon they're really saying "English ale."

When it comes to American styles I reckon it all depends on your personal preference. Mine is strongly in the pils malt camp, but in my experience most prefer the stronger, maltier presence of English pale malts. For instance, I find Emerson's APA not to my taste because the rich, toasty English malt character clashes with the American hops. I prefer a leaner malt character in my American-style stuff.

warrenlw63 said:
ozbrewer said:
...why bother with the problems of DMS if you dont need to

[post="104785"][/post]​

So Ozbrewer you're saying you get DMS in your lagers? :unsure:

Warren -
[post="104790"][/post]​

Do you have a problem reading??? Did i say i have DMS problems...or did i say why bother with the problems of DMS if you dont need to....Ive been brewing for long enough now to know how to deal with such problems as DMS.........instead of waisting your time posting such crap, read somthing yourself and work out how you can deal with it

I am no great fan of APA's, but the last one I made was a great drop. It picked up a few awards, I was really impressed at how good it looked in the glass.The grain bill worked out to be
JW Trad Ale 87%
JW Wheat 9%
JW Amber 4%

As for using Ale or Pils malts, I made a heap of Porters with Pils as a base, and there never seemed to be anything but nice things said about them, or the Choccy ice creams that came with them :D
Cheers
Gerard

I doubt it is perfectly to style but I use light Munich as my base malt with just a touch of wheat. Then I use Amarillo right through for bittering and finishing. I also use a non standard yeast in 1318. Experiment and play with your own recipes. Mine was far off what would be considered traditional and it picked up second at AABC.

Regardless of anything else just make something you can enjoy.

being australia day there is only one answer.
joe white maltings traditional ale malt.what you add to change it is up to you and your flavour preferences.

cheers
big d

as long as it has heaps of cascade or amarillo, does it really matter which malt, if any, it has :p :lol:

I think stu's hit the nail on the noggin, the hops are probably more important than the malt in an APA. So long as you are not hopping to heavily I think you can make the grain bill as light as you like. Or if you like your beers out of balance, hop it up anyway.

I can't brew enough APAs - love 'em. But in my opinion pils malt would suit the style beautifully. If I was brewing an American Amber Ale then that's a different story - I think that would benefit from the slightly fuller maltier flavour of ale malt. But I reckon the best APAs are the ones that aren't overly malty. I like them to be crisp and clean tasting. I think it is a really refreshing style when brewed like this. Ever since I started AG brewing, I have progressively cut back on the crystal to a point now where I only really add around 150g. To this date I have used ale malt in all of my APAs but for my next one I will use pils. Can't wait to see the result. I've brewed plenty of beers with pils malt though, and given that, I can't see how the result is going to be at all disappointing.

ozbrewer said:
Do you have a problem reading??? Did i say i have DMS problems...or did i say why bother with the problems of DMS if you dont need to....Ive been brewing for long enough now to know how to deal with such problems as DMS.........instead of waisting your time posting such crap, read somthing yourself and work out how you can deal with it
[post="104796"][/post]​

Nah mate, I don't have a problem with reading. You obviously have one with your attitude though :angry:

My opinions are based on experience as opposed to your sweeping generalization old boy. ;) I've made APA's with Ale Malt, Pils Malt & a combination of both. Personal choice is for the combination of Pils and Ale. The choice is purely up to the individual.

Maybe you shouldn't post such crap. Maybe you post under the influence of Dutch Courage? Get a bit more experience yourself mate. I've been doing this for 9 years. I feel qualifed to comment you tool. <_<

BTW Excuse my anger anybody else. I didn't start it. :)

Warren -

Here here..

Anyway Berto, I've made APA's with either Pils or Ale as the base and it depends on your taste. The Pils provides a lighter body which you may enjoy as it could accentuate the hop flavour, while Ale malt gives a bit more body and maltiness which you may prefer. Watch using too much Cascade in it though and it can become very grapefruity in flavour, but for my next one I'm going to try Chinook or Simcoe as the bittering with Cascade or Amarillo as the flavour. It's down to your personal taste, but I echo Gerard_M's comments, his Porter made with Pils as the base was very impressive.

Cheers.

warrenlw63 said:
ozbrewer said:
[post="104796"][/post]​

Nah mate, I don't have a problem with reading. You obviously have one with your attitude though :angry:

My opinions are based on experience as opposed to your sweeping generalization old boy. ;) I've made APA's with Ale Malt, Pils Malt & a combination of both. Personal choice is for the combination of Pils and Ale. The choice is purely up to the individual.

Maybe you shouldn't post such crap. Maybe you post under the influence of Dutch Courage? Get a bit more experience yourself mate. I've been doing this for 9 years. I feel qualifed to comment you tool. <_<

BTW Excuse my anger anybody else. I didn't start it. :)

Warren -
[post="104831"][/post]​

No MAte I dnt have a attitude problem...My oppinions are also based on experience, My comment was very valid....as i said, why deal with DMS and sucvh problems with PIls malt if you dont need to.....And no i was not posting under the influance of dutch courage.....where do you come up with such crap.......oh me get some experience...ok ill do that....i wont bother telling you how long i have brewed for....i dont need to justify that to you or anyone else

"I feel qualifed to comment you tool."...........i think thats a little personall......i think comment like that can cause larger problems...and i suggest you dont do that again......

Now apart from that as i said use pale malt if you can get it....you wouldent use vegimite to make a jam sandwich would you........if your going to use Pils, read up on what SSM and DMS can do and work to get it out of the brew, add some xrystal or munich grains to up the color some, and get the maltyness back that the pils malt does not have

Latest posts

Back