Apa Base Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i like the 50/50 ale and pils malt combo. but i usually just brew APAs with whatever base malt i've got to hand - adjusting the specialty grains accordingly.

made one once with all vienna and a little bit of amber malt and crystal and it was delicious - a bit darker than usual for an APA, but it had lovely malt flavour and body.

ozbrewer said:
"I feel qualifed to comment you tool."...........i think thats a little personall......i think comment like that can cause larger problems...and i suggest you dont do that again......you may not like the outcome
[post="104849"][/post]​

Aw geez and your's wasn't? <_< Describe the outcome and/or idle threat. :p

I've said enough. This is getting boring. :lol:

Warren -

I have brewed APA's with Joe White Ale malt, Barrett and Burston's Ale, Powells Ale and Bairds MO and for what it's worth I prefer the Aussie malts. They seem to allow the hops to play a more major role in the beer without being overly malty which is what I think characterise an APA.
As for your hops choice, I agree with Chinook/Centennial/Simcoe for bittering and the same plus Cascade or Amarillo for flavour and aroma.

Never tried the pils malt root.

C&B
TDA

berto said:
ONly other problem is i dont have amarillo, and everyone is saying that cascade, centennial, and chinook are all crap for bittering.
[post="104777"][/post]​

Berto,

I don't use bittering hops, as such, in my apa's any longer, as I prefer big flavour/aroma additions - I do 2 additions 20 mins & 5 mins + dry hop. No over powering grapefruit, whatever hop you use (touch wood)... :)

Costs a bit more in hops mind ;) ...

Cheers Ross

C'mon kids play nice.... no need for threats and the like!!

APA's by their very nature are known for the hop variety used, i dont think it would matter what base malt you used if you dont nail the hop schedule...

Jeez, who'd have thought a discussion about base malts could almost lead to a blue? <_< Threats aren't needed around here...

FWIW I like the ale malts, either MO or JW Trad in my APAs. Not much Xtal, but a bit of Munich and wheat makes up my standard grain bill. I like a decent malty backing to handle the hops well, but each to their own :) Part of the good thing about this 'style' really I guess is that it gives a fair bit of room for interpretation compared to some others.

Shawn.

T.D. said:
But I reckon the best APAs are the ones that aren't overly malty. I like them to be crisp and clean tasting. I think it is a really refreshing style when brewed like this.
[post="104829"][/post]​

TD
I made quite a few Apa's using Powells malts Last year.
I made them with Pils and ale malt and also 50/50 combinations.
If you like your Apa's like that then using the Powells Pils will do it.
I too prefer them a bit more thin bodied and crisper.
I reckon the hops come through better like that.

johnno

Ross my next APA will be hopped that way with Amarillo and Simcoe, from all reports is just a fantastic way to get the hops in the beer

johnno said:
TD
I made quite a few Apa's using Powells malts Last year.
I made them with Pils and ale malt and also 50/50 combinations.
If you like your Apa's like that then using the Powells Pils will do it.
I too prefer them a bit more thin bodied and crisper.
I reckon the hops come through better like that.

johnno
[post="104870"][/post]​

Funnily enough, my next APA will be made using Powells Pils as the base malt. I only have one more brew worth of Powells Ale and that's going into an Amber Ale I have planned in a few weeks. Then I'll be brewing everything - ales and lagers - using Powells pils, before I order any more grain.

Just an aside, I have found that a 50/50 ale/pils grain bill makes a great James Squire Golden Ale style of beer. Perhaps with a dab of wheat and/or carapils too (which would, of course, nolonger make it a 50/50 ale/pils grain bill! ;) )

Kai said:
I think stu's hit the nail on the noggin, the hops are probably more important than the malt in an APA. So long as you are not hopping to heavily I think you can make the grain bill as light as you like. Or if you like your beers out of balance, hop it up anyway.
[post="104816"][/post]​
Kai, was arriving home from the Sydney BDO (Big Day Out) at about the time you posted this item.

I agree with Stu and your good self that you can vary a lot a make a good APA. I believe that style guidlines are optional, and U should go with your tastebuds, when brewing for yourself and not for comps.
Sometimes this involves testing/experimenting/tasting the beer brewed with both malts.

For myself, the flavour of pils is nice, but can become cloying in an APA unless you "balance toward the hop". OTOH, when using ale malt, you can more easily balance the hops, without having to flavour &/or bitter higher to get the balance right.

I have only used JW pils or ale malt and maybe a combo might be nice, but ya gotta get the hops right first, as has been mentioned by many. Maris O may also work for U, but U definitely get the Brit malt flavour, so depends on ur taste (again).

As with all opinions, this is subjective, is mine, and yours may vary.

As the Brits say: Suck it and see.

Best of luck, as the APA style I find to be fantastic, delicious and open to interpretation. I have made some that came out very bitter, or too dark etc, yet all still eminently drinkable.
BTW, I'm jealous as I've been hanging on to some grain for a few weeks now, waiting for the opportunity to make my first ag SFPA. With apologies to Jayse, I have been making these as all-extract-based and extract/partials, while trying get a handle on the hops, as I find they can be a little tricky, yet all delicious.

Seth :p

I have been away for 5 days and look what happens. Come on Warren you know it is my job to make the Queenslanders angry:)

cheers
Darren

I've tried an all simcoe pale ale, and for all the hype about "low cohumulone", it was still a bit harsh to my taste. And half the ibu's were from FWH. I have found with the us hops that they can be harsh, but maybe thats just me. Willamette is probably my fave, although i do prefer fuggle to EKG.

Just my .02 c worth.

Brew on ( peacefully ) :p

That's surprising, all the beers I have made with simcoe for bittering have had silky-smooth bitterness. Chinook, on the other hand..

I don't use bittering hops, as such, in my apa's any longer, as I prefer big flavour/aroma additions - I do 2 additions 20 mins & 5 mins + dry hop. No over powering grapefruit, whatever hop you use (touch wood)...

Is this what the yanks call hop bursting??? FWIW Never tried Pilsner malt in an APA but am keen to give it a go just to see what the flavour outcome will be. My most recent APA was FWH (thanx for tip Ross) with flavour additions every 10 Minutes with the biggest additions at the end . I am hoping that will keep alot of the Citrus aroma around.

Cheers,

JJ

I do 2 additions 20 mins & 5 mins + dry hop

I have made 2 APAs hopped like this and they have been awesome :beerbang:

Darren said:
I have been away for 5 days and look what happens. Come on Warren you know it is my job to make the Queenslanders angry:)

cheers
Darren
[post="104999"][/post]​

Yep your input is needed Darren , all out punch up not too far off here !
I bet everyones reading this post , little fresh hatred always makes for an interesting post :blink: :huh:

Batz :ph34r:

some of us actually like chinook kai. :p

cheers
big d

I'm just a big girl, big d. I like silk more than sandpaper.

i also think southern cross goes well in an apa and that is a high alpha hop from nz and u cant get it from lhbs

Back