Anyone used a Hoegaarden kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stehowardtlr

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done this kit? If so any do's n don't's?

This is the one I've got.

1402749972287.jpg

I've done the ESB one.
The "everything in one can kit", I'm not a big fan of.
Seems to lack something.

It will make beer, but don't expect it to be anything like a Hoegaarden. There are certain ingredients that are required to try and even get close to that style.

The yeast in the photo is WB-06, you need something like Wyeast Forbidden Fruit or belgian wit yeast.
You also need torrified or flaked wheat.

By all means go ahead and make the beer with the ingredients you have, it'll probably be fine, but just be prepared when it's not like a Hoegaarden.

So long as it tastes ok I'll give it ago. You recommend changing the yeast though? It also says to add coriander seeds and orange rind. Should I still do that?

I was given one if those kits last year, I mixed it up not considering my ferment fridge was already in use. Fermented it out at 18deg.
I don't recommend this, I found the flavour way too pronounced and didn't enjoy the beer, although I had several mates say it was a good one.

Most recipes for a Hoegaarden do include coriander and bitter orange peel, so if you were trying to make a clone, yes they would be required. Go easy on them though, I added too much once and tipped the lot out.

As for the yeast, WB-06 is a very good wheat yeast, but it's not one that will get you the flavour profile of a Hoegaarden.

Making a Hoegaarden clone with tinned extract would be nigh on impossible imo, use the ingredients you have though and I'm sure you'll brew an enjoyable wheat beer.

Latest posts

Back