Anyone Know A Fridgie In Melb

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fents

Not a Beer God
Reaction score
Have a westinghouse all fridge that is broken. Brought it off ebay, got it deliverd, left it for 48 hours, plugged it in and nothing. I know theres power to it as the light inside comes on.

Hooked up my tempmate and still nothing.

Willing to pay cash or beer or both.

Does it hum? Or is it silent?
Does the fan (if it has one) run in feed forward when you open the door?
Can you hear a bubbling sound from the back of the fridge?

Does it hum? Or is it silent?
Does the fan (if it has one) run in feed forward when you open the door?
Can you hear a bubbling sound from the back of the fridge?

all silent mate, no fans, no bubbling, nothing.

I would therefore think you do in fact have an electrical problem.
Switch it off. Get right down near the motor, then listen as you switch it on.
If there is no hum at all, leave it on for a while, then see if the motor housing gets hot.

If there's no hum and it remains cold, then you have a break in the connection, best case,
the wires aren't on properly or are broken and need to be replaced.
Another simple cause is the thermostat is broken, and not requesting the motor to start.

Worst case the winding on your motor are blown and you'll need to replace it. Only, replacing the motor causes you to lose all your gas, so you'll need it regassed too. If you have this don't professionally, they will save a fair amount of gas for you.

If there's no hum, and it gets hot, the diagnosis is similar, in that the motor is likely to be cooked, as there's a short between the windings.

Standard tech assist would have me ask if it's plugged in (light's on so we assume yes)
Next question would be: is the thermostat set to 'cold' it may not be broken, only set wrong.

c'mon Kuda your in bundoora, im in watsonia, (right next to each other) i brew beer and i'll assume you drink beer too....any chance of getting you over?

as i said, light comes on but nobodys home at least no body cold, hooked up my tempmate which works fine still nothing so i would assume its not the thermostat and yes its set to cold cold cold.

i'll make it worth your while.

Fents, no probs... but I'm not a fridgie, just a half decent diagnostic engineer.
I might be able to have a look if you were desperate, but alas, I'm here for mead, and at the risk of inciting a mad mob crying "Heresy!" I don't like beer, and until introduced to some homebrews, could not even stomach more than a mouthful.
There are some homebrews that don't make me want to chuck immediately, so I'm willing to be converted ;-)

I'm guessing the answer is don't know and no... respectively.
But if the first is a yes, there's little reason it shouldn't go again with a little work.
I could have a look at it, but my multimeter's busted, the company one is in my boss' toolbox in Sydney, and I fear I would not come to a conclusion.
If you've got a decent way of measuring voltage and current, I'll come take a look... some time ;-)

Oh yeah...
One more quick diagnostic. When you rotate the thermostat knob, can you hear the relay latching?

Latest posts

Back