Any Other Nocturnal Brewers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
Howdy.. I always read about people mashing in at 5am on sunday morning and whatnot, but I don't think I ever start brewing before about 6pm, and I go on brewing into the night.

Any other nocturnal AGers out there?

I was never an early morning brewer, with my average start time being about 1pm.

Now that i've got offspring that wakes early, and my desire to get two batches done in a day, I typically start around 7-8am.

Strike water gets heated at dinner time, mash in after kids in bed about 8pm. The no chill cube is usually in the fridge by 11pm and I follow up with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th cold beer on the couch or in front of Beermith !!

I've done a few after 6pm, although I was usually cheating (grain crushed the day before and HLT on a timer so it was ready to go when I got home). Now I'm mostly starting around 4pm. But yeah, I'm usually a morning person, but I can't understand this brewing in the morning thing. Brewing is my reward for getting all the chores out of the way early :p

I've brewed many beers in the same way as you, seemax. It does mean I haven't always cleaned up completely till the next day. :ph34r:

All comes down to whether you are a morning person or night person. Im a morning person. The last thing I'd want to do after work is spend 4 hours brewing. I save that for drinking :lol:
Cheers
Steve

Yep, I love the night life, SWMBO has the odd late meeting for work which usually means "pie night" for the kids and brew night for me. I usually mash in around 6.30pm and am all done by 11, even with the cleaning.

cheers

grant

I've done the occasional night brew. Won't be doing many more as the cold weather starts to creep in.

I also am a nocturnal brewer. Have finished many a time around 2 in the morning. Clean up is always the next day.

Ive done a couple, If im up early enough on a saturday, i roll down the Greensy HB and get my grain, depending on whos there i might get stuck... usually get SWMBO to turn on the burner for strike water so i can mash in when i get home.. usually start mashing at around 10am on a saturday. Sundays are dangerous, could start early, or start very late if i had a big one on the saturday.

Done 2 night brews. The brew process was fine. Quite enjoyable, the clean-up was damn annoying, especially if you just want to jump into bed. Sweating your ass off claening kettles at midnight is definitely a chore.

the clean-up was damn annoying, especially if you just want to jump into bed. Sweating your ass off claening kettles at midnight is definitely a chore.

exactly! bugger that. Im usually all cleaned up by 10-11am....totally refreshed and ready for the day with the family and a beer!

AG's for me are morning.
K&K's at night. (or whenever)

Any other nocturnal AGers out there?

Not by choice. When I first started brewing I would brew any day of the week. Start time on weekdays was usually around 5-6pm, so I'd be done around 11-12. Back then my worst day brewing was the day I attempted a triple decoction for the first time. I didn't get done until about 4am and I had to be at school at 8am. That sucked.

Now I only brew on weekends and prefer to get an early start.

I have been a midnight partial man, and have finished at 3 or 4 in some cases, definitely not smiling at this stage.

As I am going AG, I will have to rise with the sun and brew during the day purely so I can see what I am doing, and not clang around with kettles at 3am and piss all of my neighbours off.

I have no idea of how I will willingly do this on a Saturday, I think I need an alarm clock at 5am that will deliver coffee to my blood via contolled dosage IV.

I usually kick off brewing on a week day at 3.30am (water is preheated) & am cleaned up & finished by 8.30am ready for the commute to work ,(about 5 meters) :p

Cheers

Paul

Strike water gets heated at dinner time, mash in after kids in bed about 8pm. The no chill cube is usually in the fridge by 11pm and I follow up with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th cold beer on the couch or in front of Beermith !!

I'm the same, except I'll mash in before I get the little one bathed and off to bed, that way by the time I ready from daddly duties I'm ready to lift my bag.

In terms of cleaning, I get it all done on the night, the urn and any other gear is left on towels overnight to dry, then I take my bag and go have a shower, rinsing it off at the same time...

After that it's beer time, usually well deserved...

I usually kick off brewing on a week day at 3.30am (water is preheated) & am cleaned up & finished by 8.30am ready for the commute to work ,(about 5 meters) :p

Cheers

Paul
Sheesh Paul! You obviously don't use a NASA burner brewing that early in the morning/late at night :eek:

I used to solely brew at night, but now have an arrangement with work that allows me to take half a day off on Tuesday arvos to pick up the tin lids from school. Mash in at 1.00pm, lautered and sparged by 2.30. Pick up the kds, boil, chill, in the fermenter and cleaned up in time to make dinner. Then drink beer B)

- Snow.

Brewed yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't a simple case of brew then have a few beers then go to bed. It was an entire meticulously planned campaign:

• Dough in the Kiwi Blonde at 3 for a 2 hour mash (cool mash with adjuncts)
  • Hoist Bag at 5 and hang for half an hour while I prepare ingredients for din dins (I am chef of house)
  • Bring to boil, 90 min hop addition
  • Wash and sterilize 35 ex Bavaria 660ml tallies and cart them round to the garage on hand trolley
  • Lug cold conditioned Bribie Bitter out of the cold fridge and bottle while the boil is on.
  • Drink a couple of pints of it out of cold conditioning, very noice.. a good batch this time
  • Wash and sanitise the conditioning vessel (I have a 25L fermenter that is dedicated for secondary and fits snugly in garage fridge)
  • Feed the troops at 6.30
  • Check the dishwasher ... yup Glenda's doing a good job :lol:
  • Shiiittt.... add the whirlfoc, the most often forgotten item in brewing.
  • Rest the wort, we're up around 7.30 by now.
  • Drink yet more beer
  • sanitize starter bottle for next stage which is:
  • lug the Solly Cerveza out of the dead fridge and rack into the newly free secondary vessel vacated by the Bribie Bitter
  • collect some yeast cake and start in bottle - US 05, going to pitch into Kiwi Blonde tomorrow
  • Wash and sanitize the 30L fermenter from the Solly Cerveza because that's what the Kiwi Blonde is going into tomorrow
  • Drink more beers
  • Wash out the cube which has been on chlorine since the last brew
  • Cube the Kiwi Blonde
  • Check in with the troops who haven't seen me for a while (they worry)
  • Empty the bag and the hopsock onto the garden bed
  • Manually Wash the bags
  • Put in washing machine
  • Check AHB forum
  • Sweep up
  • Do numerous washing up like the mash paddle, bowls etc
  • Drink more beers
Somehow it was suddenly 11 so I sat down with a nice jug of County Bitter and a pint glass and a DVD and the cashew jar.
Troops had all gone to bed.

:beerbang:

Maybe I should have stuck to stamp collecting :blink:

Sheesh Paul! You obviously don't use a NASA burner brewing that early in the morning/late at night :eek:
- Snow.

My HLT is powered by electricity but my Kettle is powered by NASA but I don't usually fire it up until 4.30am.

Back