Any Ideas On What To Brew Next?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8manic

Reaction score
Hey guys just getting into this and wondering what i should try as my next brew?

I've been thinking maybe a carlton cold copy. So far i have bottled a munic lager. I've got a dry beer due to be bottle on friday. and got a carlton draught copy in the fermentor now.

So any ideas even if it seems out there throw as many at me as you guys can think of then i gotta bit of a list that i can keep doing until i get around to try a few.

Thanks Wade

just did a cooper sparkling ale copy.

its on the coopers website and on the sparkling ale kit.

but...

1.7kg sparkling ale kit
1.5kg light malt extract
500gram light dry malt extract
300gram of dex

ferment at 20-21

i added 10gram of POR to mine as well. cant wait to try it.

why are you making copies of such crap beer :p??? carlton draught :-S !!!!????

Id like to hear how you Sparkling turns out . Ive just a Pale ale . with mixed feelings about time well tell.
Lets keeps the coopers flowing.

ex crow eater.. $49.00 a box for palies not happy jan....
I was tempted to bring 3 ctns back on as hand luggage on sun nite.

Making a calton draught copy to see if my mates will think differently to home brew cause thats what they drink. Plus its a good place to start if i can copy a beer then i can maybe able to alter it abit to suit my own tastes.

If it makes you feel any better my best mate loves his carlton draught and was also very suspect of any home brew I made.

However my first brew was a pale ale and was a pretty good session beer. We got through a few and since than no more doubts from him. I even got him into some Amsterdam's the other day which he liked, so I think I'm making good progress with him.

So to go back to your original question, I would suggest a pale ale with maybe some hops additions which will not only added flavor/aroma, but will help hide any off flavors brought on during the fermentation. Stacks of recipes on forum or ask someone at your HBS for recipe.

Best of luck Dave.

I've found most of my mates like pretty simple brews as they are generally fans of VB/Tooheys/Carlton Cold or Draught. Here are some that've gone down well:

Coopers Pale Ale 1.7kg tin + Coopers Brew Enhancer 2, stock yeast.

2 x Homebrand Lager Kits made together to 23L, fermented with US05.

The last one especially was a hit - people really seemed to like that one even though it was under carbonated!

Cheers - boingk

Disclaimer - I prefer beer styles of the Becks/Heineken/Hollandia/Stella guise as is reflected by my brewing, with the exceptions being 'crowd pleaser' session-type [light bodied, simple flavour profile, full-strength] beers.

thinking i might give a 2 can brew a try this go round. Whats the worst that can happen i stuff it up and it tastes bad so i wasted maybe $40 to try something

if you do try a two can brew, make damn sure you pick lighter hopped beers - dont go mixing 2 cans of coopers stout or dark ale or bitter :p

Ok mate thanks for the heads up. Will be going out in the morrning to get the stuff.

Id like to hear how you Sparkling turns out . Ive just a Pale ale . with mixed feelings about time well tell.
Lets keeps the coopers flowing.

ex crow eater.. $49.00 a box for palies not happy jan....
I was tempted to bring 3 ctns back on as hand luggage on sun nite.

I have just finished drinking my Coopers Sparkling. Great Kit...infact the best I have ever made. The last bottle was 6 months old and oh what a drop. Dark, malty and full of flavour.

I followed the directions to the letter (probably could have made it better if i freshened up the yeast) but I will be brewing that again!! May even try to grow the yeast myself from a few Coopers Sparkling bottles....see how adventurous i get :)

I put down the new Coopers European Larger in Mid Jan (brewed in my cellar at 15 deg...but 12 weeks before its drinkable...DAM!!!) and just finished bottling a Cerveza.

I have just ordered the Grumpy's Hoegaarden kit (which by all accounts is about as close as your going to get for a kit) so I really cant wait till that arrives next week!!

Have a few Pale Ale's and Bavarians left to tide me over till the dirty Hoe's are ready....really cant wait!

As you may be able to tell, I have only really used Coopers Kits, but I havnt had a bad one yet. If im successful with the grumpy's kit (which i think is a partial mash) I will go and buy the equipment for a AG (with the guidance of Adzmax) and give that a go

Cheers!!

Start brewing darker beers at this time of year. You will appreciate it when the weather starts to turn.

Start brewing darker beers at this time of year. You will appreciate it when the weather starts to turn.

After the Hoegaarden is finished, im going to do another sparkling (with the bottle yeast)....It was just so tasty!

Latest posts

Back