Any good recipe ideas for English IPAs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motman

Reaction score
Brewers, please help!

I'm looking for inspiration for an English style IPA.. I have in the past made a fuggles smash at 8% and about 90 ibu that was great to my tastebuds and am looking to expand out. It seems like an uncommon style, so hoping for some ideas from the brewing community.

Any good suggestions? I know fuggles is not generally bittered or dry hopped with but I loved the smash (350 gms first wort, 150 dry hopped in two innings for a double batch). Look forward to your ideas!

Challenger is a great hop for English IPAs, and will work well with Fuggles, Northdown, Willamette or Goldings.

I haven't ever used it, but Target is meant to be a good bittering hop as well.

Malts, Maris Otter would be the pick for the base, with amber in there too for up to 10%, or some Victory and Munich II for example.

Yeasts... Keep American yeasts the hell away from an English IPA. I'm a bit biased towards 1275, but most other English liquid yeasts would be fine (maybe not Nottingham or Windsor).

Have a look at the Mitch Steele IPA book. There's a few in there, including classic ones. Also have a dig through the Let's Brew Wednesday series on Shut Up About Barclay Perkins.

The best English IPA I've ever had was Worthington's White Shield. Totally. Awesome. I haven't yet tried to brew a clone-ish but I will. Have a look at these clone threads from Homebrewtalk. They actually include an English IPA recipe from Mitch Steele's book. Also, apparently the White Labs WLP 013 London Ale/Wyeast 1028 London Ale are the original Worthington White Shield yeast:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=479109
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5416

This is all just research though. Unfortunately I do not yet have any personal experience to offer. Other than searching desperately for more White Shield.

Worthington White Shield is awesome.

mje - I made a case swap English IPA with Challenger all through, finishing with Bramling Cross and Goldings. Unfortunately I only got a few bottles, but everyone seem to think it's very nice.

Used challenger all the way through for the first time with this hop last brew
it was a best bitter though.

Really liked it used whitbread ale 1099 first time as well now a big fan so much so
am fermenting with it again with goldings , challenger & styrian goldings to see what this brings

Whitbread is great I reckon. Very user friendly too.

I really like WLP007 - Dry English Ale for my English IPA's. I mash a slight bit higher to allow for a little residual sugar so it doesn't go super dry, but still get great attenuation.

Keep grainbills pretty simple. I use 85% MO, 5% Rye, 5% Crystal 60 or 90, 5% Munich. Aim for a high OG of 1.075ish, FG around 1.015ish for plenty of body. Mash at 66c.

I use Challenger for bittering, with a tonne of WGV up the front end for aroma. Don't go too crazy with hops. Yes, it's an IPA, but I find if I go over say 55-60IBU, it starts getting muddled and confused.

I find the key for my English IPA's is always to slip in a little rye. Adds a really nice touch of depth

90% Simpsons or Maris Otter Pale Ale
10% Thomas Fawcett Dark Crystal

Challenger for Bittering
East Kent Goldings at 10 Minutes
Small 0.75 - 1g/L dry hop with east Kent Goldings

SO4 yeast

Simple, Cheap Taste +

Yep, maris is a good choice but don't completely rule out Golden Promise either. IMHO, my best ESBs have been around 50% of each for the base malt.

The English hops are good, and for some reason I also like putting in Styrian Goldings as well to "spark" it up a bit.

I've never done anything in a traditional sense so forgive me here but the balance ratio (by software) for English IPA is my favorite.

Galaxy Ale my favourite by choice of design.
Maris Otter ~ 80.6%
Wheat Malt ~ 9.7%
Munick Malt ~ 4%
Crystal Malt ~ 4%
Midnight Wheat ~ 1.6%

Gallaxy Early, late and dry hop. Would this be an Australian IPA? No such thing in a traditional sense right? well there is in my home brewery. :chug:

Have previously made variations of ingredients but they were all good. I guess its the balance that works for me.

Champions all! Thanks! I think I'll go challenger, fuggles, Maris otter, wheat, Munich.

If you want a historical english ipa then you want a single pale malt mashed lowish, heavily bittered, 6+% ABV and aged for 2 years or so. If you want a modern one, they're often just a slightly more bitter ordinary bitter

If you want a bjcp style nazi one, HBHBs recipe above with tne crystal cut to no more than 5% should serve well. Personally I'd just brew HBHBs recipe as is.

I don’t think historical IPA was ever aged for 2 years or so though I guess that would help it attenuate.

If you want to brew a historical IPA or India Pale Ale you are probably going to need a boat. UK ales brewed for consumption at home were cellared at around 12c with minimal disturbance after they were casked.

In contrast IPAs underwent another key process as they spent months being sloshed around on the high seas and continued to ferment with the yeast being continuously roused in hot climates so attenuated and aged far more.

If you don’t have a boat I suppose you may get a similar affect if you leave it in the boot of a car or back of a Ute for a couple months especially if you go off road a lot or drive like a Bogan.

S.E said:
I don’t think historical IPA was ever aged for 2 years or so though I guess that would help it attenuate.

If you want to brew a historical IPA or India Pale Ale you are probably going to need a boat. UK ales brewed for consumption at home were cellared at around 12c with minimal disturbance after they were casked.

In contrast IPAs underwent another key process as they spent months being sloshed around on the high seas and continued to ferment with the yeast being continuously roused in hot climates so attenuated and aged far more.

If you don’t have a boat I suppose you may get a similar affect if you leave it in the boot of a car or back of a Ute for a couple months especially if you go off road a lot or drive like a Bogan.
Just to confirm:

- brew strong, hoppy beer
- go sailing
- go 4 wd ing
- drive like a bogan.. All with aforementioned beer.

I can do all of these things, sorted!

I do a few variations. Goldings and challenger are my favourite combo. I find a fair whack of crystal always helps.

The extract recipe i did ended up with 0.5kg crystal, 3.7kg LDME, 35g Target @60, 40g Fuggles @30 and 30g EKG @15, fermented with Nottingham.

Finished the last bottle on the weekend, it was a sad day :( I'l be converting the recipe to all-grain for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back