Any fridgey's out there?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searly333

Reaction score
Hey boys,

I Picked up a 910l Williams fridge second hand the other week and my first batch is fermenting in there now. However now it seems there is a problem with the compressor. It worked fine to start with and cooled down to 3° within ten minutes from ambient but now the compressor cuts in for ten seconds and then stops. This process repeats about every four minutes. I was thinking that maybe there is an internal thermal overload for the compressor and the lag time between starts is allowing the compressor to cool down enough to run but then it gets too hot after ten seconds of running and cuts out. I've taken the cover off and the compressor is too hot to leave my and on for more than a second. Just wondering if there's any way of testing the overload cut out on the compressor (if there is one) or if it means the compressors on the way out/needs re-gassing or another possible reason for my troubles? I am by no means a fridge mechanic so please feel free to tell me I'm talking jibberish!

Cheers,

Luke.

If it is running hot, then that is definately not a good thing

Yeah that was my thinking as well.

A southerly change has since come through and dropped the temperature and its running fine again. The spec sheet says that it can operate at 43° ambient but that seems optimistic :unsure:

Do ya have a clampmeter you can put on it to see how many amps it draws, but sounds like compressor is shagged there will be an overload on it either internal or external under the comp cover looks like a little disc make sure all the wires make good connection

Have a look at the motor ,condenser area to see if it meads a good clean .
Dust etc would effect the performance of the fridge.

Latest posts

Back