Any Decent Beer To Be Had In Alice Springs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airgead

Ohhh... I can write anything I like here
Reaction score
Ok.. I'll be in Alice Springs this weekend for a family wedding. Last time I was there the place was full of horrible touristy "Aussie" eateries. Overpriced and under tasty.

Does Alice have a brewpub or anywhere decent to get a drink and some decent food?

Cheers
Dave

Ok.. I'll be in Alice Springs this weekend for a family wedding. Last time I was there the place was full of horrible touristy "Aussie" eateries. Overpriced and under tasty.

Does Alice have a brewpub or anywhere decent to get a drink and some decent food?

Cheers
Dave

Well... I can now say from first hand experience that the answer is a resounding no.

Wedding reception was OK.. they had bottles Squires Amber available (at vast expence but hey... I wasn't paying). Best I found anywhere else was some coopers. The rest was VB/XXXX/somethign ghastly from the NT.

Food was no better. It tasted like it was trucked in 2 weeks ago. Probably because it was. Like everythign in Alice.

I stand by the opinion I formed of Alice Springs last time I was there - the area around the town is spectacular but the town itsself is a s**thole. I think it was actually worse than it was last time. I don't remember groups of drunks collapsed in the middle of the road by 10am last time I was there. Or the huge numbers of beggers.

Cheers
Dave

Well... I can now say from first hand experience that the answer is a resounding no.

Wedding reception was OK.. they had bottles Squires Amber available (at vast expence but hey... I wasn't paying). Best I found anywhere else was some coopers. The rest was VB/XXXX/somethign ghastly from the NT.

Food was no better. It tasted like it was trucked in 2 weeks ago. Probably because it was. Like everythign in Alice.

I stand by the opinion I formed of Alice Springs last time I was there - the area around the town is spectacular but the town itsself is a s**thole. I think it was actually worse than it was last time. I don't remember groups of drunks collapsed in the middle of the road by 10am last time I was there. Or the huge numbers of beggers.

Cheers
Dave

Yes, the Alice aint what she used to be. I quite liked the place when I lived there in the late 1970s - early to mid 1980s. But time hasn't done it any favours. I was there last September to visit a brother still living there and yes, I was far from impressed. The spirit of the place has been lost - what was once local and proud has been homogonised to standard tourism crap. Shame, as it was once a special town.

And a cultural desert. No point putting a decent brewpub in town as the tourism industry causes excessive rental. You need either large volume or inflated prices to keep yourself viable.

Pity. But as you hinted if you want to go outback, get away from Alice Springs. Everything worth seeing starts as you leave the place.

Pity. But as you hinted if you want to go outback, get away from Alice Springs. Everything worth seeing starts as you leave the place.

Yep.. This time I was only there for the weekend so couldn't see much. Took the kids for a day trip out to Ormiston Gorge and back via the ochre pits, Ellery Creek and Stanley Chasm.

Last time we were there was 10 years ago and we camped for a month in the ranges and round Uluru.

Fantastic country.

Cheers
Dave

Yep.. This time I was only there for the weekend so couldn't see much. Took the kids for a day trip out to Ormiston Gorge and back via the ochre pits, Ellery Creek and Stanley Chasm.

Last time we were there was 10 years ago and we camped for a month in the ranges and round Uluru.

Fantastic country.

Cheers
Dave

Fantastic trip that one! My bro got married on a hill looking towards Mt Sonder, with the reception at Glen Helen. Brilliant - though was about 1975 !

I had a working association with a number of the aboriginal communities out there - Hermannsburg, Haarts Bluff. Papunya. Fine memories. Great people. I remember when you could camp in Kings Canyon and climb up the waterfalls. Kinda not allowed to do that now!

Got some great pictures - if you get down this way, drop in!

Fantastic trip that one! My bro got married on a hill looking towards Mt Sonder, with the reception at Glen Helen. Brilliant - though was about 1975 !

I had a working association with a number of the aboriginal communities out there - Hermannsburg, Haarts Bluff. Papunya. Fine memories. Great people. I remember when you could camp in Kings Canyon and climb up the waterfalls. Kinda not allowed to do that now!

Got some great pictures - if you get down this way, drop in!

Sweet. The wedding I was at was in the desert park. Where they do the birds of prey shows. Fantastic backdrop with the sun setting over the ranges behind.

I'm a landscape photorraphy obsessive. I took 450 shots over 2 days this trip. I'll pop a few up once I have edited them down a bit.

Last time I remember climbing up Kings Canyon in the dark with 20kg of camera gear on my back to get a shot of sunrise over the canyon. Got a great shot too...

Cheers
Dave

Back