any beer ideas for my rolled grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookers

Reaction score
Just wondering what ideas people might have for these grains, what base malts would you use and what yeasts would work well.

I have rolled:

Grains
  • Rice
  • Barley
  • Rye
  • Oats

I'm just curious, what beer ideas some might have for me.. I wanna get some plans down, for my next brew sesh. 12L batches.

Hops

• Summer pellets
  • Willamette flowers
  • Motueka flowers
  • Nelson Sauvin flowers
I'd like to be able to taste the aromatics and flavour of the hops, the bitterness levels I would be interested in are: 15-30 IBUs

Any thoughts would be welcome. I would like to know what effect these rolled grains would have on the brew too if possible..

You could do a Cream Ale with the flaked rice.

I made one late last year that was:
42.2% Pilsner
42.2% 2-row
8.8% flaked rice
6.7% white sugar

OG: 1.050 and fermented using BRY-97.

Basically the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I used Liberty at 60 minutes and in the cube (to a total of 18IBU). Your Willamette would work well I think.
It was a hit with the rellies over summer, a very non-confrontational easy drinker. The rice contributes to a dry finish.

Thanks ken. I'm going to have to get myself a decent book.. would you recommend Brewing Classic Styles.??

Cream Ale sounds lush.. :icon_drool2:

Brewing classic styles is freakin awesome.

I am curious if anyone has used rolled rye before in their brews.. how was it.. what flavour does it add.. smells quite malty on its own, but its not malted grain.

My suggestions"

Grains
  • Rice - Asher's Green Tea rice lager (and the Nelson hops)
  • Barley - Breakfast stout ( with oats) and a tasty Motueka supplement. I'll be round for brekky when this is on...
  • Rye - Rye IPA or American Rye with Summer
  • Oats + Rye - Rye Wit or American Stout with Willamette
You're making me thirsty.

thanks Les, they all sound really good.

they make me thirsty too.

Yay got my copy of Brewing Classic Styles today.. there are a lot of lagers in there I would like to do.. but :( I haven't got a brewing fridge.. so will be sticking to the ales mainly.

Back