Another "starting All-grain" Thread :p

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably better to toss the cube into the pool B)

they will argue one is for a aircon and one is for water or something. Maybe the wall thickness is different to??? not sure lol

ha ha ha id love to have that arguement with them i built aircons for 7 years copper is copper no matter where it comes from lol

thnaks so much for clearing this up guys! here i am thinking that chilling is absolutly necessary, so i think i'll just try leaving it out overnight. its been getting pretty cool at night, i live in paddington, near the city. that landlord looks mighty fine, will probly try that :)

probly wont be any updates for a while though, while i sort out some more crap, im almost there

Why not zoom over to Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers meeting, Thursday 26 April arrive 7.15-7.30 for an 8 pm start, meet heaps of brewers.

Lynndon Bowls Club
Galsworthy St
Holland Park East

Just off Logan Road, bring a couple of bottles of something for tastings :)

I just tried a BiaB and it got on fine without a cooler, that said. Im not sure of prices where you are but copper pipe is 1.70 a meter here, and immersion chillers are about 50. I bought 3m of copper pipe for a play about just to see how viable it would be to make my own, get a shaping spring (2 here) and simples. Honestly wasn't expecting it to work quite as well as it does. So sure by the time i've bought 10m of copper pipe it'll cost me 17, then probably 3 for some flexi pipe to get it onto my kitchen tap but its certainly cheaper doing it that way.
I just went into a DIY shop, in the plumbing section, collared the assisant to cut the desired amount and was on my way. If you're doing it on the cheap like me then this is a good way to go :)

Im pretty sure im just gonna cube it. I got a 15L plastic container ages ago that'd be perfect... not sure what i'd do with the rest of the wort (like 5L).. maybe if i put the 15 Litres in the cube overnight, while the rest of the brew could be used as a sort of starter for the yeast. I can cool down 5-6L pretty quickly with just a bucket in ice, then pitch the yeast in that, and add it to the rest the next day. sound like a good idea?

still waitin for a sewing machine to sew up the grain bag, so this is taking a little while

You don't need to sew your voile.
Just drape it over the edge of the pot & bulldog clip. When time to lift; gather the edges & tie with a rope; hang on skyhook.
You also don't really need a tap on the kettle, though it makes it easier. Siphon will suffice.

yeh im just gonna siphon it, auto siphon baby!

Im looking at the Landlord recipe by DrSmurto, and im gonna go with that. looks really straight forward with only two grain types. although i was thinking of just using two hops, fuggles and EK goldings. this would just be to save money for my first brew, and kinda simplify things. this wouldnt effect the flavour too much would it? id be replacing the aroma hops (styrian goldings) with the EK. adjusting the amount for the right bittnerness of course.

Should be fine Ken and sticking to simple recipes should help you to understand sooner what character each ingredient brings, while I'd be more than happy with a DSL with Styrian subbed by EKG. DSL is a fantastic recipe and quite simple too, so ideal for folks such as yourself that are kicking off their all- grain career.
If you only have a 15L cube, you could hold back some of the strike water in the beginning and then run with a slightly concentrated mash and boil, provided your efficiency is adequate then dilute to the target OG in the fermenter. Alternatively, what you're proposing to do (make a large starter with the excess wort which won't fit in the cube) is not a bad idea either and not that different to the double dropping method which suits DSL's style. I would just treat it as a really big starter though but retaining the spent wort from the last step, no need to actually double drop though, maybe explore that technique a little later. So, just add the cubed wort after it has cooled and when the great big starter in the fermenter is well underway.
Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

yeh im just gonna siphon it, auto siphon baby!

Im looking at the Landlord recipe by DrSmurto, and im gonna go with that. looks really straight forward with only two grain types. although i was thinking of just using two hops, fuggles and EK goldings. this would just be to save money for my first brew, and kinda simplify things. this wouldnt effect the flavour too much would it? id be replacing the aroma hops (styrian goldings) with the EK. adjusting the amount for the right bittnerness of course.

Can't go wrong with the landlord. It was my first AG brew and it is still one of the best I've made. Kinda like you're first kid I guess, you love it, worts and all. I've been all graining for a few years now and still stick to fairly simple recipes and I still learn (and make mistakes) on each brew. I've never owned a chiller and don't plan to any time soon. No chill is convenient and easy (especially if you ferment in the cube). It also means I can make a starter out of the same wort that I'm brewing at the time.

JD

thanks guys! im probly gonna have to pay a visit to my Local home brew supplier on the weekend and get brewing early next week. oh man, im so excited :D

Latest posts

Back