Another Fridge Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony M

Reaction score
If I plug a fridge into a remote temperature control that switches the whole thing off and on, to what extent does the freezer work if I am running the cooling cabinet at say 10C to lager. My old 1950s' Genelex that I now use just has the little ice box inside, and is getting a little tempremental.

I'd say that the functionality of the freezer unit wouldn't be thrown out to a hugely massive degree, it will still be pretty damn cold....I certainly wouldn't want to keep meat in there, but hops etc would be OK, I would think. (guessing average temps in the freezer unit of 0ish)

Edit...guesswork only...not facts.

I'd guess that something like that would happen, but I'm hoping to hear from a couple of the hundreds of guys out there that are doing this.

Hi Tony

i run an old and small fermeter fridge (160l). When I ferment a lager at 10C the freezer section won't keep ice frozen

probably not the answer you wanted

Jimmy

if you run a fridge on some sort of temp control it depends on the nature of the controlledr

for example, rather than a temp controller on my brew fridge, I have a simple timer to keep it around 20 degrees. the fridge thermostat thinks it need s to be around 4 so runs the compressor fairly constatly when the timer switches on. The freezer I would guess (must stick a thermometer in there 1 day to check) would get down to freezing but would probably rise several degrees when the timer is off.

If you use a temp controller, the temperature sghift will be much smaller but would still not be held at a low enough temp to be considered safe for fozen foods

just my thoughts.......

Forgot to add that I use a mashmaster external temperature controller to maintain the fementation temp.

Definately not food safe.....but I had a big block of ice in my freezer compartment on my fermenting fridge that I forgot about, and it was only about 20% defrosted by the time primary finished 5 days later....and that was with the fridge set to 18 (but having said that, its in a seperate compartment.). As muckey said, when its on, its on full whack.

Back