Another Brew Shop Closed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS helped get me from Kits to Partials and then I moved onto AG on my own.
For that I thank them and their help at every visit.

I did find every visit to the store like visiting some kind of weird men's self-help group.

Nervous shuffling..."So I put the second can in three days ago in the shed but..."

It must be very trying dealing with customers constantly who are either total noobs or maybe worse still have internet wisdom to practice.
I can't think of many businesses where you are expected to teach your customers how to use your products and provide advice that is then subject to trial by internet wisdom, all to keep the customer happy.
They look like a tough gig LHBS, I can't imagine anyone ever opened one to become rich.

I'm grateful for every one that exists in my area, at least they offer choice. Boo to the supermarkets, I do all I can to minimise my business with supermarkets or bunnings and the like, they kill local business, they kill choice, they kill communities imho.

Sorry to see another LHBS hit the wall. Doesn't help any of us.

Amen! Well said.

Boo to the supermarkets, I do all I can to minimise my business with supermarkets or bunnings and the like, they kill local business, they kill choice, they kill communities imho.

and +1.

The LHBS at Kedron is set to change hands soon, may be just the thing it needs

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Mark's Home Brew in Newcastle. He has a program where you can design a beer, email in the recipe and he'll have the pack made up ready for you to collect.

Ross will also do up a recipe pack. If you have ever ordered grain from CB you will have seen the buttons at checkout "Mixed / Unmixed", "milled / Unmilled". That's what they are there for.

Can't be bothered to read the 80 odd posts so I may have commented already, but my experience with older business owners (and I've met heaps, being an ex Allens Sweets and Rothmans rep) is that most of them have bought themselves a job using their redundancy payout. On buying the LHBS it often becomes a gift and fancy goods shop - our LHBS on Bribie sells garden gnomes as a sideline - and most of the local shops are mainly into spirits anyway. I dropped in there recently to see if he did JG fittings and it was quite busy for a change but I seemed to be the only beer guy there.

I'd have to say that Brewers Choice are a standout in Bris, haven't had much to do with the other towns.

I'd have to say that Brewers Choice are a standout in Bris, haven't had much to do with the other towns.
[/quote]

I would definetly agree, Brewers choice have more than helped me progress from basic K&K to AG brewing as well as steering me down other paths such as beef jerky and other such side hobbies. But it is also the approach they have to dealing with customers, the Enoggera store is my local and the boys in there are not only happy to help but also sit and chat, weather it be beer related or not. I find now even my wife is happy to drop in and grab the odd cracked grain for me and no longer feels uncomfortable about it. My hats go off to them and I believe they have the right idea for longevity within the industry.

Sean

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Mark's Home Brew in Newcastle. He has a program where you can design a beer, email in the recipe and he'll have the pack made up ready for you to collect.

And the program saves your brews for you. You can make your own or choose one of the dozens of other saved beers. I love Brewbuilder. :icon_cheers:

A bit OT here, but if i go into a shop again and I ask someone what something does or if it is a good product and they read the blurb on the back of the packet, I am going to lose my shit with them. :rolleyes: Maybe i visit the wrong shops!
Agreed, these type of people are usually the ones who are on your balls with "can I help you?" in the first place.

Yeap Gryphon brewing does that too! Nev will even help you with the recipe if there is a problem with it. I pushed my hbs to get more grain and they have responded in doing so. Awesome it is

I got an email yesterday or today saying a new Brewer's Choice store was opening at Kedron so that must be it.

It will make getting my BIL setup for brewing sooo much easier :)

I got an email yesterday or today saying a new Brewer's Choice store was opening at Kedron so that must be it.

Is that the one on the east side of the Gympie road that is open on weekends? Never been there, but it makes me feel good that if I was short of a yeast sachet on a weekend I could score.

The LHBS in Beerwah ... good for a C02 refill.

Is that the one on the east side of the Gympie road that is open on weekends? Never been there, but it makes me feel good that if I was short of a yeast sachet on a weekend I could score.

Thats the one, just near the music store, lets just hope the new manager is as passionate about beer as Sim is

MHB's system is quite simply, spectacular.
It creates a bit of work for the retailer (I mean these are bespoke kits) but allows a customer to get what they want, when they want with no storage, no bulk bags and no hastle.
I am associated with a retail business here in Canberra, and yes I have asked for my "Status" to be changed even though that business sells >99% into Canberra so i speak with some gravity.
In the words of Molly..do yourself a favour and check out MHB !
http://www.ubrew.com.au

K

Thats the one, just near the music store, lets just hope the new manager is as passionate about beer as Sim is

Got to deal with Sim the other w/e at Enogerra. Gotta says he's a bloody legend. Helped me sort out my first AG BIAB and a few other things.
Makes my experience with other local stores seem very weak. Very happy cust. Cheers BC

A Brewers choice at Kedron would be fricken awesome. I've only been to the Enoggera store a couple of times as it's a cut lunch and take your two man tent trip from Bribie Island - however excellent stock and a BC store on Gympie Road would be very feasible for driving into work and picking up yeasts ans spec grains and other bits. Much as I love Rosscoe's setup, Capalaba is just too far for a "casual drop in" visit for many outer Northsiders, and it would be great to support in even my small way a good franchise.

Thumbs up for Marks, (MHB) system. The software and user interface is one thing it gives you a great starting point for a style, or brewery you may be interested in, or the flexibility to do your own thing entirely. The Key is that the service is great. Plan you brew, place your order with the pickup or delivery details and it's job done.

I know that Mark is always tweaking the recipes based on tasting of the outcome of the recipes on the data base, so things will continue to improve.

Fear_n_loath

Thumbs up for Marks, (MHB) system. The software and user interface is one thing it gives you a great starting point for a style, or brewery you may be interested in, or the flexibility to do your own thing entirely. The Key is that the service is great. Plan you brew, place your order with the pickup or delivery details and it's job done.

I know that Mark is always tweaking the recipes based on tasting of the outcome of the recipes on the data base, so things will continue to improve.

Fear_n_loath

FnL, Mark's System includes a humanoid (Shaun) who has improved the delivery of a great product, The humanoid form is a tad weedy but still manages to bring it strong.

Just sayin'

FnL, Mark's System includes a humanoid (Shaun) who has improved the delivery of a great product, The humanoid form is a tad weedy but still manages to bring it strong.

Just sayin'

Hey Grod5,

Your 100% right, Shaun is a big part of the service and overall delivery. He is a good brewer that can help any other brewer out at the shop.

Fear_n_loath

I hope this wasn't privileged info, but here's the main content of the email:

Brewers Choice said:
Brewers Choice are excited to announce that as of the 12th of June, we will have a new store as part of our brewing family. Brewers Choice will be taking over the Home Brew Barn in Kedron.

Although Brewers Choice will now have six stores, it's still just run by two brothers and a bunch of staff who love brewing. When the opportunity came up to bring Kedron into the Brewers Choice fold, we felt it was a great fit to better service our Brisbane Customers, particularly on the northside.

For those who are not familiar with the store, it is located at 325 Gympie Rd, Kedron (between the Ellaways Music Stores) and will now stock all Still Spirits/Top Shelf products as well as bulk grain, liquid yeasts and mashing equipment.

STAFF WANTED
Are you a mad home brewer and love teaching others about brewing? We are looking for a great new manager to run Kedron, so if you or someone you know is interested in becoming a store manager, give us a ring or email us on employment at brewers choice dot com dot au.

+1 to the brewbuilder with Mark. It's where i do all my orders from now. Love the ease, saving features & build info. That, and i just can't beat the postage. Hell, per beer/AG batch it's cheaper than a single section bus ticket to the LHBS.

Latest posts

Back