And that makes 3 - Toyota bails out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carniebrew said:
No way....the imported new car market is hardly a monopoly! Competition will be fierce, and now like other markets we'll finally start to get some seriously sweet mod cons on our cars as standard, because the price won't be jacked up $10k by government tariffs.
Our market is small. Most of the cars we buy are imported anyway.

And $10k tarrifs are bullshit. They are not that high, unless your buying a high end vehicle.

I heard and read here and there that that the people building these cars on the assembly line, process workers for want of a better word, were on $50 per hr. Now if that is true then no wonder they have all gone to the wall. And thank you Abbot for not propping them up any longer.

browndog said:
I heard and read here and there that that the people building these cars on the assembly line, process workers for want of a better word, were on $50 per hr. Now if that is true then no wonder they have all gone to the wall. And thank you Abbot for not propping them up any longer.
um....do you honestly beleive that...theysaid the same about SPC....that puts them on $100k pa...

:icon_offtopic: bit like four and tewnty pies went off shore,and there opposition bought them back to australia owned..SPC is owned by Americian's..It's about time the pollies stopped overseas interest's buying our company's and killing them off so they can bring there product here.

Got to love a bit of union bashing. Dont get the facts first...just bash the unions.

DU99 said:
:icon_offtopic: bit like four and tewnty pies went off shore,and there opposition bought them back to australia owned..SPC is owned by Americian's..It's about time the pollies stopped overseas interest's buying our company's and killing them off so they can bring there product here.
CCA is an Australian company...not American.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Our market is small. Most of the cars we buy are imported anyway.

And $10k tarrifs are bullshit. They are not that high, unless your buying a high end vehicle.
Yes, exactly. Our market is small, yet we've had tariffs in place to protect it for decades. Now they can be removed, and car prices will come down accordingly. What's bullshit is thinking the car makers overseas will artificially jack up prices just to make more profit out of our market. Competition will prevent that entirely.

And yeah, $10k is at the high end, but we're talking thousands of dollars in tariffs the govt collects for every imported car sold in Australia. Better in my pocket thanks.

carniebrew said:
Yes, exactly. Our market is small, yet we've had tariffs in place to protect it for decades. Now they can be removed, and car prices will come down accordingly. What's bullshit is thinking the car makers overseas will artificially jack up prices just to make more profit out of our market. Competition will prevent that entirely.

And yeah, $10k is at the high end, but we're talking thousands of dollars in tariffs the govt collects for every imported car sold in Australia. Better in my pocket thanks.
Do you actually know what the tarrifs are...

Ducatiboy stu said:
Surely you jest......they can name the price now as we have no other choice but imported cars. A somewhat captive market.

But I still have my MM1000 ute...so I cant see myself upgrading any time soon.
Except for the part where they're in competition with each other and they compete on price like they do in every other country in the world.

Well hopefully the royal commission will clean the unions up a bit.
At least in the building industry.

Btw I think Coke is a American company. Screenshot_2014-02-10-23-10-53.png

Bribie G said:
The LabOr government steered us through the GFC without the collapse of banks, without 25 percent unemployment as in many parts of Europe, despite the world economy being up shit creek as pointed out. One Term Tony has just accelerated the demise of manufacturing in Australia.
They came to power with already high interest rates, low unemployment and healthy surpluses, leaving a lot of room to move.

They did at least a passable job (which is better than most governments), but you need to give credit to the previous governments at least partially (and I include Hawke/Keating in that - it was a long term thing to lay that foundation).

yum beer said:
The need for us to be involved in 'the wold economy' is squarely to blame.....
if we had no imports produced in countries with disgustingly low wages and poor conditions then the Australian car industry would be as strong as ever.
So would every other industry that has gone down or is sliding down the gurgler.

**** the world economy, why do we need to drag our arses down to the low living standards of developing countries to feel good about ourselves.
Stop importing shit, make it here, sell it here and everybody has a job, a house and money in their pocket, not just the industry fat cats and politicians.
Where would we export to then? Can't have it both ways - all exports no imports.

If someone in Bangladesh is prepared to work harder, longer and cheaper we can't stop that. We need to invest in our own population to focus on higher value jobs if we want to maintain our standards of living.

pedleyr said:
Except for the part where they're in competition with each other and they compete on price like they do in every other country in the world.
And the fact we are a small captive market. Price a VW here...then go to Europe and price one..and dont forget our $ is falling.....If you bought a euro car when the $ was at $1.00+ us you did well..now how does it compare when it drops to $0.80....

Yeah I blame Tony Abott. He has had 5 months to legislate the mandatory buying of camrys and aurions by all Australians and didn't. Definitely his fault...

I thought Holden were staying in Australia because of some sort of deal? When did that change?

Excuse my foreign ignorance. I listen to Skyhooks every day driving home if that helps?

pedleyr said:
Where would we export to then? Can't have it both ways - all exports no imports.

If someone in Bangladesh is prepared to work harder, longer and cheaper we can't stop that. We need to invest in our own population to focus on higher value jobs if we want to maintain our standards of living.
Thats the problem, economic greed drives local companies to want to export, the government needs to make deals with other countries to allow that, so we import stuff from others....world economy.
Problem is the majority of those countries involved live at a standard that I don't wish to but I have no choice because that is how it will become for everybody. We will end up like the worker in Bangladesh, harder , cheaper, longer.
Anybody that wants to argue any other point on the end result of world economy is having themselves on.

Latest posts

Back