Ancient Biab Recipe Found

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
I have been fascinated by the BIAB style of brewing so although I brew with Aluminium pots I remembered a thread on this site I posted quite some time back. I had the basics correct but see now I was just for too "modern" in my approach.

Below is the bulk of the original post with some comments as applications have dawned on me.

Hi Guys,

After reading the latest BYO magazine with American seasonal beers I felt compelled to do some research into a "seasonal beer" from the source.

Brewing has its roots in the Sumerian and Egyptian cultures many years past, and as such we don't have a huge amount of data to go on for this project.

The owner of the Harrad's department store commissioned a beer brewed along very traditional lines and because it was very unique sold for quite an amount per bottle.

I'd like help on formaulating my Egyptian seasonal beer.

A seasonal beer needs a gravity around the 1.080 mark and this should be easy to acheive.

I've guesstimated the extract rate from a couple of the ingredients but feel from experience they will yeild about the expected amount.

6.5 kilos JW Traditional Ale malt.

That is the basis for the beer.

Because the region I want to highlight with this beeer has a tradition of sticky date pudding I will use 3 previously made puddings in the mash.

I estimate that the date syrup [not the packet mix stuff] from the sticky date pudding can because of the caramel flavour profile substitute for our modern day crystal.

I intend to add more dates to the boil but my dilema is whether to FWD [First Wort Date] or FOD [Flame out Date.

Now FWDing offers a smoother character but throws up the possiblity of Date haze when chilled below 12 degrees C. FOD doesn't pose the same dilema but you miss the smooth Date character.

I've already started [excuse the pun] my starter from an extract of Camel saliva and an Oassis plant called Cannia Lux Or. I sourced this along the old Ghan train line. It apparently grows only after many years in contactact with dry camel dung. The plant has the correct wild yeast concentrations to hold in check the rapid lactification of the sticky date pudding extract/starter mix. This ensure the correct Camel blanket under tone in the fermentation.

I'm told that the leaves of the common Humulus lupulus Origanum sipyleum can be substituted for the minor amount of bittering used in this beer.

From the research I've conducted this yeast strain must be fermented at at least 30 degrees C so the advice of HBS owners appears to be correct when making an Eygtian seasonal beer.

The beer needs a further lactic acid rest of 12 hours in a constant 38 degree temperature so this is the ideal full summer beer. I suppose the tradition of Diacetyl resting beers has its roots in this practise.

I feel that I may depart from tradition myself and bottle this beer instead of kegging and if I do I'd probably drift a bit further to the adverturous side of brewing and step into the unknown outside of the square and use a square of dark chocolate to prime each bottle -- lack of head won't be a problem as the camel saliva yeast concentrate can be stirred back in just prior to priming and bottling. The chocolate, I bellieve, will add further complexity to the caramel acheived by the sticky date pudding syrup.

I suppose where I need help is the mash regime as not many brewers I know have made this beer.

On re-reading this post it dawned on me the ancient Eygptians would have used a camel bag to mash in so I understand now the relevance of the BIAB process. It is so logical -- the camel is the bag and it can also lift the bag via a skyhook.

Please make some suggestions as to the correct temp to mash at as I feel this will impact on the success or failure of this project.

Of course I value the expertise of this forum and some fellow brewers offered me advice today on what to do with this beer so I wait for your comment.

I feel this beer may make us famous -- we have the chance to stamp our collective talents on a beer style in need of revival. BIAB may be the methodology of ancient Sumerian brewing. Perhaps this was the ancestral Old Ale or Barley wine.

Steve.

Chiller,

The recipe looks interesting. You may need to do an acid and protein rest for clarity. I would aim for a liquor to grain ratio of at least 3:1 or the resultant beer may be overly sweet.

cheers

darren

Dude, I strongly suspect that you are taking the piss... but I am going to respond as though you aren't, because I suspect you could probably make a beer pretty similar to the one you are describing and have it turn out great.

Your mash temp is going to depend on whether you think the beer would need to be dry or not. The technique of brewing in a bag doesn't really effect the fermentation profile in any significant way, perhaps if anything, beers turn out a little drier than a traditional mash done at the same temperature.

But - if you are looking for a biggish beer at 1.080... then you are actually going to be going some way towards nullifying the main difference between BIAB and a normal mash.. which is the L:G ratio. The higher the grain bill the lower the L:G and the less difference there is between the methods.... so you can probably more or less discount any effect on the wort fermentabilty caused by the method and just aim for the same temp as you would in your normal system.

I don't know whether you think it should be really sweet or not... but to make a rampant generalization .... your middle eastern people quit like syrupy intensly sweet things... so I say the thicker and sweeter the better.

The bag --- well, if it was made out of camel... then I suspect it was a felt style material rather than a woven fabric. which is handy for construction purposes. You can just wander up and down beside the camel trails and harvest bits of camel fur that have gotten caught up in trail side bushes. Picking cotton style. Wash em, pound the hell out of em and make the cloth by settling a liquid suspension of the fibers out onto a screen... just like making homeade paper. OR - if you are feeling less traditional and more practical, your average filter cloth is a needled polyester felt .... one somewhere around 350 - 500 microns would fairly closely emulate a voile BIAB bag, but going finer would give you a clearer wort, it will just take a while to drain... no problem really as you will have constructed a skyhook from a tripod of sturdy poles and hauled your bag up there with a camel... so you can afford to wait for it to drain. I'm guessing that a camel felt bag would be thick and dense and yield a crystal clear wort.. so maybe a 100-250 micron bag would be more authentic??

I would FWD because to be perfectly frank... flame out date sounds like it might be risky and possibly painful, as well as hazardous to the camel felt bag.

BIAB may well have actually been the method of choice for a culture of desert dwellers... especially if they were nomadic. I cant imagine that it wouldn't bea lot easier to pack your whole brewery away inside the one single solid vessel that it consists of than it would to hoick the entire clay and sticks equivalent of a brew sculpture 7 feet up onto onto the back of a slightly cantankerous camel. In a modern equivalent... Spillsmostofit's entire brewery fits inside his boil kettle... which fits neatly into his minuscule SMART for two, and I reckon that thing has less luggage space and less grunt that your average dromedary.

Come to Melbourne on the 12th ... we are brewing a BIAB as a demo at Grain and Grape. Unfortunately it wont involve camel... but I can hock a loogie at you if you insist :p

Thirsty

Hmm... PP goes into exile and Chiller reappears extolling the virtues of BIAB.

anyone else been watching Jekyll on ABC?

:huh: <_< :eek: :lol:
makes about as much sense.

eric

Dude, I strongly suspect that you are taking the piss...

I would FWD because to be perfectly frank... flame out date sounds like it might be risky and possibly painful, as well as hazardous to the camel felt bag.

And very hazardous for the camel if the bag is still attached

chiller, where do you get your sky hooks from? I've been looking for some for years.

I like turtles !

Is that relevant ? :huh:

chiller, where do you get your sky hooks from? I've been looking for some for years.

I was out -- outback doing some 5x4 large format photography and noticed an old abandoned camel caravaner's camp but sadly no skyhooks.

I did notice this photo posted in one of the other threads and figured any Repco could provide a car engine hoist.

I can see from this image BIAB is a very simple process with everything you need close at hand. My wife was also very impressed with the obvious superiority of this simple entry level to AG brewing. I'm now trying to workout where I can hang a Camel inside to brew with.

Zizzle_biab.jpg

I have been fascinated by the BIAB style of brewing ....

hey chilla, how did you go with your brew, very interesting what you came up with,

btw i have added a piccie of my lifting device,
cheers amita

BIAB_004.JPG

Latest posts

Back