An old dog from Qld

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoo4u

Reaction score
G'day all,

After being introduced to the home brew thing in the 70's, I've been making K & Ks - lots of them - quick, cheap, and satisfying. Working did not permit me the luxury of time to do anything else!

However, retiring has it's benefits, and once the last piece of the kit arrives (high capacity burner), I'll step up to AG. I'm in the bush, and try to stay away from town as much as I can. :)

My last half dozen or so brews have been more adventurous, with grain steeping and hop schedules, etc, so looking forward to learning heaps here from those who have done AG before me.

Cheers
Roger

It's never too late to learn how to make quality beer mate!! :beerbang:

Welcome aboard..

You going a tiered set up 2V 3V or BIAB?

Are you ever in the bush, mate, I lived in SEQ from 1977 to 2012 and still had to look up Ravensbourne :p

At first I though of Ravenswood but you obviously don't have two heads or they would be arguing whether to post here or not.

Toowoomba brewers have a bit of a club going if you ever get down into the big smoke, otherwise Ipswich mob.

Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm going 3V - 30 litre urn for HLT, 40 litre TechniIce for mash tun with BeerBelly falsie, and 50 litre S/S keggle. Going a bit unconventional for cooling the wort by draining the wort from the keggle through 18m of copper coil immersed in ice water in the TechniIce icebox. Should give rapid cooling to desired pitching temp. Only possible glitch might be clogging of the 12mm copper with hops, etc, but I hope whirlpooling in the keggle might get around that.

Experience is a great teacher they say...

evoo4u said:
Thanks for the welcome. I'm going 3V - 30 litre urn for HLT, 40 litre TechniIce for mash tun with BeerBelly falsie, and 50 litre S/S keggle. Going a bit unconventional for cooling the wort by draining the wort from the keggle through 18m of copper coil immersed in ice water in the TechniIce icebox. Should give rapid cooling to desired pitching temp. Only possible glitch might be clogging of the 12mm copper with hops, etc, but I hope whirlpooling in the keggle might get around that.

Experience is a great teacher they say...
If you're just using pellet hops it wont be an issue after a decent whirlpool, flowers on the other hand...

evoo4u said:
G'day all,

After being introduced to the home brew thing in the 70's, I've been making K & Ks - lots of them - quick, cheap, and satisfying. Working did not permit me the luxury of time to do anything else!

However, retiring has it's benefits, and once the last piece of the kit arrives (high capacity burner), I'll step up to AG. I'm in the bush, and try to stay away from town as much as I can. :)

My last half dozen or so brews have been more adventurous, with grain steeping and hop schedules, etc, so looking forward to learning heaps here from those who have done AG before me.

Cheers
Roger
Welcome aboard Roger sounds like you have a good AG setup. if your ever in town drop in to Toowoomba home brewers they stock a good range of grains hops and liquid yeasts. Also Too SOBA meets there the first Friday night of every month your welcome to come along and check it out there are quiet a few AG brewers in the area if you ever need a hand or advice.
happy brewing mate
Cheers Ben

Latest posts

Back