An Experiment In Waxing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
With my cheese making ingredients arriving today (thanks Country Brewer) and a Mead in the keg which I am about to bottle for very long term storage, I started thinking about waxing, both for the bottles and my cheese. There is premade cheese wax which I did find, but it is rather expensive so I went looking to see how I could make my own.

From what I could find online, cheese wax is made from Microcrystalline Wax and Paraffin Wax. My limited understanding is that the Microcrystalline wax is used to add some 'elasticity' to the final product which helps to reduce/stop cracking the wax with age.
I found an online candle making supplies shop which sells both. http://www.candlemaking.com.au Be sure to grab a beer first to man up before following the link. Both these waxes are food grade. I used the 65deg C paraffin wax.
CIMG0531.JPG

The thing I couldn't find about cheese wax was the proportions of the mix, so I took a guess and went with 1/3 Microcrystalline and 2/3 Paraffin. I used a total of 120gm for this initial test batch.
CIMG0533.JPG

This was melted in a pot, over another pot with water over a flame.
CIMG0534.JPG

I had read that you can use food colouring to add the colour.
CIMG0532.JPG

But what I found was that the colouring didn't want to mix with the wax. If anyone has some experience with this I'd be keen to hear it. Maybe another brand of food colouring might work?
CIMG0535.JPG

Finally, the bottles were dunked three times into the wax. After the second dunk, the label was attached to the top, and when dunked the third time it was nicely stuck to the cap. One thing I will do it get a narrower and taller pot for the wax, so that less wax is used. The left over I had was put in the fridge for future use.
I only had 16 bottles laying around, but here's the result. I'll let these sit around for a little while to see how they weather.
CIMG0536.JPG

I don't wax cheeses but for bottles I just use straight beeswax. Works a treat. No petrochemicals and it feel kind of appropriate to seal a mead with beeswax.

Cheers
Dave

Most food colouring will not work with wax as it is waterbased. You need candle dye or colour blocks (available from the site you suggested).

Nice idea, looks pretty good mate. The only problem I forsee is making sure that all wax is removed before bottling again next time?

where to get beeswax, and apiarist?

Most food colouring will not work with wax as it is waterbased. You need candle dye or colour blocks (available from the site you suggested).

Do crayons work?

Just tested my wax out and I think it looks awesome. Must have dunked it in about 10 times to get a nice thick and white layer... now I need a classy label.

IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3727.JPG

Id try fabric dye if you cant find the other Ideas.

Do crayons work?

Apparently some colours of crayons work. I'm thinking some of the dyes are oil based, and some of them are water based & emulsified.

I've seen people use them for making both candles and soaps, but I don't have much more detail than that.

Rob.

Back