An awesome stuff up...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubix

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So.. I placed my monthly order into the LHBS and purchased three different brews for this month. My favourite IPA, a SMaSH Saison and an Aussie Ale. It turns up today and the bag of grain for the Aussie Ale seems exceptionally large. I check the order over and sure enough, instead of ordering 390g of Malted Wheat I've ordered 3.9kg's... So i've now got a grain bill that more reasembles a Weizenbock (with the addition of some darker malt) than an Aussie ale. I'm just really keen to hear what you guys might do with the following grain bill.

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
3.9000 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)
3.0000 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White)
0.3900 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC)
0.0500 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC)

Cheers

Assuming your equipment can handle it personally I would make a double batch of an american wheat, or leave the crystal out and make some type of continental wheat beer. But that's my mood right now and i'm also being unimaginative.

Also depends on what hops/yeast you have on hand.

Unfortunately it's already crushed and mixed in the one bag so can't ommit the crystal. On hand i've got Hersbrucker, CTZ, Goldings, Spalt and Saaz for the hops. I've also got Northwest Ale, West Coast IPA, Belgian Saison and Coopers yeast. I'm personally thinking American Wheat with the purchase of some additional ingredients. Might even steep some dark grains overnight and make a black american wheat.

Looks like a pretty good grain bill for an American Wheat. Yum.

Just did a witbier with a similar grain bill, just add some oats and use the saaz to about 13IBUs

Get some WLP400

some of the greatest inventions of all time have been the result of an accident :)

Couldn't agree more Westo.

So i've just placed another order for some Cascade, Centennial and Willamette hops and some American Wheat yeast. Don't normally brew wheats in the cooler months but I can't wait for this one.

Looks like it’s too late but if you can add another 4.8 Kg of Joe white Pils you would get almost 2 x double batches of my original Murray’s Whale Ale wannabe at 4.5% ABV depending on your eff.
Use the 1332 NW Ale & Kiwi hops if you can get them & there you go.

Otherwise just do all-Hersbrucker or Saaz hop additions or a combo of both or for a more Yankee theme the hops you just ordered in Post 9.
The reason I used Citra was because my NZ hop stocks were low.

Who cares when an supposedly out of season beer can be quaffed? Wits & Wheaties consumed in winter taste just as good as they do in summer. :icon_drool2:

View attachment White Whale Ale.txt

Inspired by Whale Ale as described by Pete the best Aussie Sparkling I ever made was 50/50 wheat malt and Barrett Burston pale, POR flowers and recultured Coopers bottle yeast.

Won me a gong (and some $) in last year's ESB competition.

edit: a couple of hundred of the crystal wouldn't go astray. When I was a lad back in the 1970s when the beer strike was on in Qld and Coopers first started to be imported it was much more of a light amber or dark gold colour that IMHO fitted the beer far better than the modern "lagerfied" appearance.

Latest posts

Back