An Ag Beer Without Hops. Anyone Done It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most malt liquors contains a lot of adjuncts hence you'd presume there'd be little maltiness.

K... I'm curious where you got your information from?
If you fermented your mash, you'd end up with a fermeter full of vomit. Leave your mash tun full of spent grain for a few days, and not only you, but all your neighbours will know what I'm talking about!!!

It's how the US bourbon makers do it too. "Sour Mash".
I hear that that's how they caught mooneshiners as well. Just follow the smell of the rotting corn mash.

Hey, if you made hopless beer (and drank it naturally conditioned and unfiltered at room temperature with low carbonation), wouldn't that be a real real ale?

I recall reading somewhere that originally 'ale' didn't contain hops, and when they started using them as a preservative, it became beer.

Hey, if you made hopless beer (and drank it naturally conditioned and unfiltered at room temperature with low carbonation), wouldn't that be a real real ale?

I recall reading somewhere that originally 'ale' didn't contain hops, and when they started using them as a preservative, it became beer.

they used other things to bitter the beer...

I think the basic brewing guys worked out the sourness was coming from the dried yeast. An interview with one of the liquid yeast guys (I know he's a biased source) revealed that dry yeast needs some alpha acid to neutralise some of the bacteria inherent in dry yeast production.

They used a combination of herbs called gruit. The supply of gruit was apparently a good earner for the church in the UK in medieval times and priests would rail from the altar about the demon hop used by the savages across the Channel.

Once again the church trying to lead good people astray :D

If you ever see it, grab a Wigram Spruce beer, its a replica of the 1st beer made in NZ by Captain cook, bittered and flavoured with Rimu, Manuka and molasses and its actually really really tasty!

linky

If you ever see it, grab a Wigram Spruce beer, its a replica of the 1st beer made in NZ by Captain cook, bittered and flavoured with Rimu, Manuka and molasses and its actually really really tasty!

linky

Whats rimu mate?
Greg

Thanks. Call me a peanut but was checking out the wiki page and really didnt understand what was going on but am sure that the link will solve all.
Me good at computering
:D Greg

Doesn't really explain that much, I just figured since it was a NZ beer and that tree is NZ native, they mustve used the leaves of it or something to bitter the beer.

Doesn't really explain that much, I just figured since it was a NZ beer and that tree is NZ native, they mustve used the leaves of it or something to bitter the beer.

I thought you were explaining how to use the wiki page which I am still none the wiser but I do k now what rimu is now.
Greg ;)

Ah no no, I just meant wiki as in Wikipedia, not the AHB wiki. Wikipedia knows all :p

Who would have thunk it that a lack of hops in beer would be such a hot topic!

The church of beer does not smile towards heretics!!

What you dont worship at The Church of the Wholly Ale

The sermons can get a bit incoherent, but the quests are a ball.

MHB

What you dont worship at The Church of the Wholly Ale

:lol: And I am a k-niggit in search of the Wholly Ale. This would be funnier if I could get the folks at Unibroue to tell me that my mother was a hamster and my father smelled of elderberries. ;)

I think that if you made it strong (maybe a small volume) you could make a tawny-port-ish barleywine.

And I think that Sahti has plenty of things going on other than malt that makes up for a lack of hops, it is fonkeh. I plan on making some using proper yeast from a friendly Finnish AHB member once I get my system sorted if anyone is keen to sample the results.

Latest posts

Back