American Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hi all,
I know this is yet another apa thread but I couldn't find many partial recipes that don't call for a pre-hopped kit to compare with..also I'm only just learning how to mash so advice could help there too but I have a recipe in mind so here goes -

25L Batch size
Light LME 1.50 kg
Light DME 1.00 kg
Pale Grain 1.00 kg
Crystal Grain 0.25 kg

15g Amarillo (8.2%) 60 mins 14.76 IBU
15g Cascade (4.5%) 30 mins 6.48 IBU
15g Cascade (4.5%) 10 mins 3.24 IBU
10g Cascade Dry
15g Amarillo Dry

SafAle US-05

I know it isn't up in the style guidelines for IBU but I would rather have a 20 something IBU ale for this batch. Also with the crystal grain should I up the dosage or lower? I would like the flavour and colour to be there but not be dominant whatsoever.
Cheers all

Ok due to the lack of advice I'm going to guess that my recipe looks either ok or really sh!thouse.
I hope it is the former..

looks ok to me bloke apart from being low on IBU's. 250g is a typical mild dose of crystal but it might depend what type you use whether it comes through much, caraamber or carared would be good, what u have?

If you haven't bought the hops yet, I personally would tend to go for a different bittering hop in the boil and cut out the Amarillo - for example 30g Centennial 60 mins, then 20 20 and 20 Cascade. But that's just my thoughts. The crystal looks fine.

Thanks guys, I just didn't know if 250gm would be right for what I wanted.
The IBU part I guess is because all of my other brews have been 40 50 or 60 something IBU and I would like a change up for a bit.
Just finished putting in on now, good times!
Ended up doing a 24L batch, hit O.G. 1040, not too bad I spose.
Cheers for the replies..
glaab - I had some cracked crystal grain, I don't know what sort though.
BribieG - I already had some amarillo and cascade, don't know where to source centennial recently so no good there..

Back