American Pale Ale - Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emabal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be putting the below APA down shortly, as an all extract recipe. This recipe was borrowed from "How to Brew" by John Palmer, and put into beersmith.

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 11.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 16.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 40.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1500.00 gm Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 46.15 %
1500.00 gm Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 46.15 % (Add after boil)
250.00 gm Bairds Pale Crystal Malt (UK) (60.0 EBC) Grain 7.69 %
21.00 gm Northern Brewer [9.60 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
14.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (30 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
28.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (15 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
14.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

I've never dry hopped before, and I've read I can still dry hop in my primary once fermentation is around 5 day mark, and then leave for 14 days (as per the recipe above). Does this sound about right?

Happy brewing

Carlos.

Looks good. I'd probably cut the crystal back to 5% though.

I'd still drink it though.

Yep, spot on mate. I've only dry hopped a few times but the general consencis is once the first vigorous stage of fermentation is done (around 3-5 days in most cases, where temp control is used) then it's dry hopping time. The reason being is that the really active ferment stage tends to drive off some of the aroma due to the co2 comming out of solutoion so quickly.

Edit: Personally I'd be inclined to up the cryslal to 300g being light crystal and the IBU you have, I'd nearly be inclined to go 350-400. Or better yet grab some medium crystal and keep it at the amount you have. I spose thats the great thing about HB'ing, all relative to taste. Maybe just go with what you got and adjust next time if need be

Back